Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Looking for CarPlay headunits (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/260055-looking-carplay-headunits.html)

Timjtitus 07-24-2018 03:11 PM

Looking for CarPlay headunits

I’m looking to replace my failing factory radio with a CarPlay unit. I’m concerned with how low the radio is and if using Apple or google maps would be a PIA to use. Any recommendations?

Rockdawg84 07-27-2018 04:10 AM

Love my pioneer AVH-2330NEX the screen tilts and you can adjust it so there is no glare.

manofindustry 07-29-2018 12:58 AM

I went with the Pioneer AVH-1300NEX. I would definitely prefer the unit sit higher, but I've gotten used to it. Glare hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure if the tilt helps that much for easy viewability, as you still have to look down.

Hepar 04-10-2019 10:34 AM

I'm currently looking into new head units as my current nav unit is starting to act up. The CarPlay idea is looking nice for me.

Right now I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and the Pioneer AVH-2400NEX. Not sure if the extra price of the 4400 is worth it. Would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts or any other head unit suggestions.

BoomerBob 06-03-2019 08:47 PM

Does the 3rd gen take a 6.2" or 7" double din?

greeney 06-03-2019 09:15 PM

I put a 7" double din Kenwood in my 2000 4runner. Has Appleplay and Im nuts about it. No problem using maps from my iphone. Reads text messages to me, makes calls from voice commands etc. Sort of wish it had an old fashion volume knob instead of the up/down volume buttons but I got used to it. Bought it from Crutchfield along with their wire harness. I was able to put it in myself. Not too hard if you follow videos on youtube that tell you how to take off the center consol. Has capability for a backup camera if you want to add one. Also can play dvds but I didn't wire it for that. I chose the Kenwood over other brands after researching.

greeney 06-03-2019 09:18 PM

when I said appleplay I meant CarPlay.

carp73 06-03-2019 10:27 PM

I have the Alpine ILX-107. It's wireless and I love it. Just leave the phone in my pocket and it automatically connects. It's a little expensive (or at least was when I got it a couple years ago) but worth it for me. And it works fine in the stock radio position even being so low in the dash. No issues with viewing angle or anything. Only downside like someone said earlier is no physical volume knob, just touchscreen buttons. A little weird to get used to at first

blarblarjosh 06-04-2019 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hepar (Post 3269393)
I'm currently looking into new head units as my current nav unit is starting to act up. The CarPlay idea is looking nice for me.

Right now I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and the Pioneer AVH-2400NEX. Not sure if the extra price of the 4400 is worth it. Would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts or any other head unit suggestions.

I have the avh-4201nex, wanted one that came with the backup camera. My buddy has the w4400nex and the're pretty similar. I'd only recommend paying for the w4400nex if you want a Bluetooth connection to carplay or Android auto. I actually prefer wiring in as I Bluetooth over to my obd2 reader and have torque pro. I believe the 2400 is the newer gen so if you don't care for the wireless car play and want to save a little cash I'd say grab that.

rickashay 06-04-2019 01:08 PM

I just picked up a Sony XAV-AX100. Super happy with it coming from my old Kenwood. The screen responsiveness is quite good despite it being a resistive display. It's more sensitive/quick to respond to touch than my mom's 2016 Touareg TDI R-Line OEM unit (and VW's typically have pretty good displays - FWIW). Bonus for the Sony's "OEM +" looking aesthetics too.

Hepar 06-04-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blarblarjosh (Post 3299758)
I have the avh-4201nex, wanted one that came with the backup camera. My buddy has the w4400nex and the're pretty similar. I'd only recommend paying for the w4400nex if you want a Bluetooth connection to carplay or Android auto. I actually prefer wiring in as I Bluetooth over to my obd2 reader and have torque pro. I believe the 2400 is the newer gen so if you don't care for the wireless car play and want to save a little cash I'd say grab that.

Thanks for the intel. I ended up going with the 8200nex. Been super happy with it so far.

Venka93 02-21-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickashay (Post 3299972)
I just picked up a Sony XAV-AX100. Super happy with it coming from my old Kenwood. The screen responsiveness is quite good despite it being a resistive display. It's more sensitive/quick to respond to touch than my mom's 2016 Touareg TDI R-Line OEM unit (and VW's typically have pretty good displays - FWIW). Bonus for the Sony's "OEM +" looking aesthetics too.

How is the head unit holding up? Anything else needed besides the head unit to install it? I’m digging that simple design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrRunner 02-21-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp73 (Post 3299680)
I have the Alpine ILX-107. It's wireless and I love it. Just leave the phone in my pocket and it automatically connects. It's a little expensive (or at least was when I got it a couple years ago) but worth it for me. And it works fine in the stock radio position even being so low in the dash. No issues with viewing angle or anything. Only downside like someone said earlier is no physical volume knob, just touchscreen buttons. A little weird to get used to at first

I have the same one and I can't say I've been wildly impressed. This was the first wireless carplay available, and it is not set up to get firmware updates, so what you have when you buy it is all it will ever have. I have the odd issue with it freezing or failing to connect, not often but enough to be annoying. The other issue, as you said, is the touchscreen volume control. I did a lot of research trying to figure out a way of doing remote volume control and couldn't figure anything out so I finally gave up on it. Some of the newer wireless carplay units seem both cheaper and better.

Soren96 02-21-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venka93 (Post 3446805)
How is the head unit holding up? Anything else needed besides the head unit to install it? I’m digging that simple design

I have the ax100 as well and love the simplicity and oem look. It’s a bit small, but it has one thing almost entirely unheard of these days...a volume knob! It was very easy to install, fits perfectly with no extra brackets or fiddling. Just use the usual Toyota harness kit for clean wiring.

The unit works great and has been holding up since I put it in 3 years ago. They’re phasing out that model but you can find it at Walmart online and occasionally in store or used on eBay for cheap.

That said, it has its issues. Software can be buggy, it boots up slow and is generally sluggish. If you press the button for rear cam it’ll just stay on until you power cycle it. You just learn not to do that. Lol. It also has an incredibly annoying warning screen at boot that stays on way too long. The newer firmware reduces the timeout but a hacked older firmware has it entirely removed (that’s what I use).

The ax1000 is newer and snappier and has more convenient usb/aux, but takes away dedicated track buttons and android auto for some reason.

The ax5000 is the newer variant with dual CarPlay/android auto, is super snappy, but goes to a bottom row of buttons that sticks out instead of ol’ knobby on the side(and flush!). Put this one in the GFs CR-V bc I got a deal on an open box (don’t tell her). I much prefer the look of the old ax100 in the Runner.

Soren96 02-21-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrRunner (Post 3447071)
I have the same one and I can't say I've been wildly impressed. This was the first wireless carplay available, and it is not set up to get firmware updates, so what you have when you buy it is all it will ever have. I have the odd issue with it freezing or failing to connect, not often but enough to be annoying. The other issue, as you said, is the touchscreen volume control. I did a lot of research trying to figure out a way of doing remote volume control and couldn't figure anything out so I finally gave up on it. Some of the newer wireless carplay units seem both cheaper and better.

I looked at that model too as wireless CarPlay really needs to be here in 2019/2020. I shyed away because I was afraid of exactly what you described. Ho hum, cables forever I guess.