Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   4runner vs. Wrangler (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/262381-4runner-vs-wrangler.html)

Skullyth3rteen 09-16-2018 02:20 PM

4runner vs. Wrangler

What is everyone opinion on which is better off-road vehicle?

fourwd1 09-16-2018 02:38 PM

That's a no-brainer.
The Wrangler Rubicon by miles.
Soild front axle, selectable lockers front and rear, crawler gear in the t-case ....

Olddudesrule 09-16-2018 02:42 PM

Well, well....Since this is a 4Runner forum, I would imagine you'll get a lot more Toyota love here. That said, from a purely off-road perspective, the Jeep is more capable. I wrestled with the choice this year, and having spent a great deal of time in a 4dr Wrangler on vacations and in my best friends hunting, the off road benefits (not huge IMHO) are far outweighed by the 4Runners clear on-road manners. Since I, like most I would imagine, spend the majority of their time on road (wishing we were off road), I opted for the Toyota. I also liked the look better and the plain fact that it wasn't a Jeep. I realize you only asked about "off-road" issues, but this was my world when it came time to pick.

One last "off'road" capability where the Jeep may win is the aftermarket. I find the 4Runners pretty healthy, but nothing compares to the Jeep's.

4Runner fun 09-16-2018 03:12 PM

explain what your asking. It's a pretty vague question.
If you list the parts jeep would win, no matter how much electronic wizardry Toyota has.
Guys that really are hard wheelers look backwards to build trucks.
For all around build quality, fit and finish, and long term dependability, Toyota wins.
For general trail riding and medium wheeling Toyota wins for ease of operation.
But my point of reference my be skewed, My Daily is more offroad than many of the OL rigs here.

My vote goes to older Toyotas.
but again, qualify what your asking.

Inv4drZm 09-16-2018 04:19 PM

SFA has more traction hands-down, even with the same wheel travel numbers vs IFS.

But the 4Runner and it's IFS is more than capable for the majority of trail-goers, and more capable at high-speed duty.

wcjeep 09-16-2018 08:20 PM

Every day use, overlanding, 90% of trails the 4runner.

Rock crawling, the Jeep Rubicon.

4runner is more reliable by a long shot. The JK Wrangler wasn't very safe in an accident. Not sure on the new JL. The new JL Wrangler does have steering issues and welding issues. The welds on the new JL are not always complete. The welds are rusting on brand new vehicles siting on the lot.

ridgerunner19446 09-18-2018 02:53 PM

Considering I bought my first 4Runner last Saturday I can't comment much from that side of the fence, but as far as Jeeps I've owned two TJ wranglers, five XJ Cherokees three WJ Grand Cherokees a ZJ Grand Cherokee and also currently own a 42 Jeep Willys & a 98 XJ, so lets just say I like Jeeps lol. They have varied from full blown built locked geared lifted caged machines to spacer lifted Grand Cherokees. My full body armored built 5:13 geared Rubicon was a FN' beast I also had a XJ of the same caliber.
I was a little more cautious with the XJ wanting to not destroy the body on it but it went everywhere the TJ did sometimes with more ease because of the longer wheelbase, The Rubicon on the other hand I'd bounce it off trees and rocks all day long It was an unstoppable machine.
I'd personally never consider doing any of the wacky stuff with a late model 4Runner, due to the size of the vehicle more than anything. But there is always that guy that has money and doesn't care. I've ran trails with guys that had build older taco's that did obstacles with ease that my Rubicon had to take more than one run at, but then again wheelbase comes into play. It more or less comes down to build quality of the rig and skill level of the driver, you can build the most expensive rig but if you cant navigate trails you will spend more time winching than anything. I always will like the older machines due to less tech and the fact that they just are more narrow and easier to navigate trails. I live in PA and most of the trails I ran were old mining, logging single track motorcycle trails and pole lines.

With all that being said I bought my 4Runner because I was sick of Jeeps. Always problems, mostly just annoying little stuff and the JK. Man do I hate the JK poser city everywhere. I'm pretty confident my 4Runner will last me well over the 100k mark with minimal problems. Iv'e already purchased the Truxxx 3/1.25 and am now debating between 275 60R20 or the 265 60R20. A real nail bitter huh! LOL! I have no intentions of making it a trail rig the most it will likely see is some dirt roads and fire trails when I go up to the mountains.

Closing statements which is better? I think it all depends on the intended purpose, for me where I live, pre 2005 solid axles as little tech as possible, geared, locked & 34x10.50 LTB Swampers I can make it go anywhere.

Thai 09-18-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3114300)
Every day use, overlanding, 90% of trails the 4runner.

Rock crawling, the Jeep Rubicon.

4runner is more reliable by a long shot. The JK Wrangler wasn't very safe in an accident. Not sure on the new JL. The new JL Wrangler does have steering issues and welding issues. The welds on the new JL are not always complete. The welds are rusting on brand new vehicles siting on the lot.

Rusting and welding aside, the new JL likely will do better than 4runner in crash testings.

The JK Wrangler already beats 4runner in the frontal crash testings (small and moderate offsets) by a significant margin. Side crash testings favor 4runner.

4runner: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...ner-4-door-suv

JK Wrangler: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...ler-4-door-suv

But, for me and general purpose, 4runner beats Wrangler by a wide margin. In PURE off-roading, Wrangler beats 4runner by a wide margin.

nevada 09-18-2018 03:07 PM

that depends on what year 4runner you're talking about :D
I would choose my 85 over a wrangler every day for off road use.

Rightside Up 09-18-2018 10:11 PM

I've got both. They both are great.

Vegasjeepguy 09-18-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rightside Up (Post 3117274)
I've got both. They both are great.

As an owner I’d a 2004 Rubicon and 2016 T4R Trail Premium I agree both are great, but each for different reasons. My Rubicon, lifted on 33 and armored up, can go just about anywhere and I’m not concerned wear and tear. My new to me T4R is very capable but I wouldn’t tackle the some of the same trails because of the probability of damage.

assassin 09-19-2018 12:18 AM

I have both strictly based on offroad capability hands down the rubicon... for off-roading in the faster variety the 4Runner does great but my wrangler with 37s and coilovers isn’t far behind.

Everyday use of course the 4Runner but can’t beat the no doors/top off ability of the Jeep.

bradjenkins 09-19-2018 04:18 AM

A friend of mine also has an 85 and agrees with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevada (Post 3116926)
that depends on what year 4runner you're talking about :D
I would choose my 85 over a wrangler every day for off road use.

Jernik 09-19-2018 08:46 AM

Didn't realize there were this many like me who enjoy having both. They're both quite capable, and are great for different (and sometimes similar) reasons. :cheers:

Muzzle of Bees 09-19-2018 09:26 AM

I think that when the new JL gets some years under its belt the DD driver chasm will close. I took a 2018 JL Rubicon for a test drive and the ride felt similar to the 4Runner, not the JK that people are most experienced with.

I am not sure how they they will end up comparing in the reliability categories,
but, of course, the 4Runner has a history there, which the JL is now build on.