Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Random Starting Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/266904-random-starting-issues.html)

nwebb01 01-02-2019 09:12 PM

Random Starting Issues

My 4Runner:
2002 SR5 V6 with 160k. I've owned it for about 2 years. All Stock. I'm fairly well caught up on all of the common maintenance items talked about here. I need to take care of the VCGs soon, however.

Went to start the 4Runner this morning after sitting in the garage overnight (like normal) and didn't want to start. It cranked and sputtered and I heard some sort of ticking noise while it was running rough. Looked at the side mirror and noticed some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I got out and tried to smell it. Smelled like normal exhaust to me. I turned it off, and then restarted it about 30 seconds later. Same thing for about 30 seconds, then all the sudden it went back to running perfectly normal.

Something similar happened in August after it sat for a week while I was out of town, but this is the only other time it's happened. Yesterday I only backed it out of the garage and then put it back in a few hours later. That was all it moved until this morning.

On my lunch break, I went back out to see how it would start after sitting outside in the cold (35 degrees) for about 4/5 hours and it started up just fine. It started just fine again after work without any issues.

Did some research and the only things that I've seen with similar symptoms are those with bad head gaskets or head issues. Those threads all seem to show that the issues would happen regularly.

*sorry if I overshared. Figured it was easier to give as much before I was asked for the basics.

Any ideas?

YodaOne 01-07-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwebb01 (Post 3201339)
My 4Runner:
2002 SR5 V6 with 160k. I've owned it for about 2 years. All Stock. I'm fairly well caught up on all of the common maintenance items talked about here. I need to take care of the VCGs soon, however.

Went to start the 4Runner this morning after sitting in the garage overnight (like normal) and didn't want to start. It cranked and sputtered and I heard some sort of ticking noise while it was running rough. Looked at the side mirror and noticed some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I got out and tried to smell it. Smelled like normal exhaust to me. I turned it off, and then restarted it about 30 seconds later. Same thing for about 30 seconds, then all the sudden it went back to running perfectly normal.

Something similar happened in August after it sat for a week while I was out of town, but this is the only other time it's happened. Yesterday I only backed it out of the garage and then put it back in a few hours later. That was all it moved until this morning.

On my lunch break, I went back out to see how it would start after sitting outside in the cold (35 degrees) for about 4/5 hours and it started up just fine. It started just fine again after work without any issues.

Did some research and the only things that I've seen with similar symptoms are those with bad head gaskets or head issues. Those threads all seem to show that the issues would happen regularly.

*sorry if I overshared. Figured it was easier to give as much before I was asked for the basics.

Any ideas?

I am not at all mechanically inclined, honestly just beginning. But, the 4runner I recently purchased seemed to have similar problems to what you are describing, previous owner couldn't figure out what it was. They let me drive it for a little while before I decided (ok, I decided in the first 5 minutes) if I wanted it or not, and one day she just....stopped. Wouldn't start or anything. Battery was brand new, less than 2 months old, alternator good, etc. etc.
My boyfriend and I ended up changing the fuel filter, it was the original one, had been on for 175k miles. We had done a test prior to confirm it was something fuel related and then started checking misc items til we saw that. Took that thing off and man, it was gross. Absolutely disgusting.
Probably not helpful or anything related to your issue, it just sounded a lot like our problem and I know that's what fixed it for us!

Anyway that test to confirm fuel or not is this...YouTube

thegipper 01-07-2019 09:57 PM

Are you loosing any coolant?

nwebb01 01-26-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegipper (Post 3204813)
Are you loosing any coolant?

Nope, does not appear to be loosing any coolant at all.

spartacus 01-27-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwebb01 (Post 3218037)
Nope, does not appear to be loosing any coolant at all.

I would not rule out the fuel pump not pressuring the system instantly because it's going bad. Also leaky injectors can cause this issue as well.

96RedRunner 01-27-2019 12:38 PM

Part of maintenance: Fuel filter have you changed it?
Things I do for fuel maint when I know tank of gas will last a week.
Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil.
Seafoam any cleaner works better longer you have sitting in system.
MMO works right away still better over a week.
Where I would start if mine with way it behaving.

nwebb01 01-28-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3218329)
I would not rule out the fuel pump not pressuring the system instantly because it's going bad. Also leaky injectors can cause this issue as well.

Is there anyway to test the fuel pump without dropping the tank?

nwebb01 01-28-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3218367)
Part of maintenance: Fuel filter have you changed it?
Things I do for fuel maint when I know tank of gas will last a week.
Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil.
Seafoam any cleaner works better longer you have sitting in system.
MMO works right away still better over a week.
Where I would start if mine with way it behaving.

Actually, I have not changed the fuel filter. It's been on my to-do list for a bit. That might be something easy to and fairly cheep. I've never used anything like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil. Are you saying that you dump it in the gas tank and use up the tank of gas? A tank of gas usually last me about a week and a half.

96RedRunner 01-28-2019 08:29 PM

To check fuel pump pressure you have to hook a guage to fuel rail, is a chore to do.
160k mi on filter, move it up list seen better days.
I like way Seafoam has worked there's several cleaners out there. I go whole can of Seafoam in tank.

spartacus 01-28-2019 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwebb01 (Post 3219564)
Actually, I have not changed the fuel filter. It's been on my to-do list for a bit. That might be something easy to and fairly cheep. I've never used anything like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil. Are you saying that you dump it in the gas tank and use up the tank of gas? A tank of gas usually last me about a week and a half.

It is a little bit of a chore for sure but can still be done. Not sure but may be you can get the fuel pressure gauge kit from an auto parts store loaner program but here are some pages from the fsmAttachment 324947

Attachment 324948

96RedRunner 01-28-2019 11:51 PM

I had thought about just what you mention, simple won out for now.
Real good info for sure, reading of FSM is a prerequisite to working on it.

gamefreakgc 01-28-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3219594)
To check fuel pump pressure you have to hook a guage to fuel rail, is a chore to do.
160k mi on filter, move it up list seen better days.
I like way Seafoam has worked there's several cleaners out there. I go whole can of Seafoam in tank.

Mmm that's the boring way to do it. I buy the Seafoam Spray, empty the whole can in the intake and watch the resulting smoke show as I driving down the street. Much more fun.

96RedRunner 01-28-2019 11:58 PM

oh hell yea like fogging for skeeters bet you get frowned at doing it where you live.

calimobber 01-29-2019 02:16 AM

YouTube

what this video, Chris fix is the shit.

He shows how to test fuel pump and pretty much everything that would prevent a car engine from starting.

nwebb01 03-02-2019 08:13 PM

Well, I think that a new fuel filter solved the problem. After I swapped it out, I was out out town for 5 days, and the 4R sat. Once I got back home and fired it up, no issues at all. Hopefully that solved the issue.