Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Dealer stripped left side front sway bar bolt (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/267039-dealer-stripped-left-side-front-sway-bar-bolt.html)

white4run 01-05-2019 11:50 PM

Dealer stripped left side front sway bar bolt

I took my Runner in for an oil change to Dealer. When they went to remove the oil filter they found the sway bar was in the way. I have an ICON lift that apparently caused this but my understanding is if you put the truck on the ground the bar moves out of the way. But they had it up on the lift, so there fix way to remove the sway bar. Doing this they stripped the bolt. They tapped it and put a new bolt with a double nut on the back.
Should I care? or let it go?

willo 01-06-2019 12:02 AM

Which sway bar bolt? And yes you should care. They should replace the part that they stripped.

Riders of Lohan 01-06-2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willo (Post 3203552)
Which sway bar bolt? And yes you should care. They should replace the part that they stripped.

Sounds like they did

Megalodon 01-06-2019 12:34 AM

No way I would stand for this! They should swap it out for a brand new truck off the lot, or at least fully replace the entire suspension system. Nothing less! Get your lawyer involved if you have to!

shrub1 01-06-2019 12:35 AM

Wait, what?
How did the Icon lift block access to the oil filter?
I have an Icon lift and Toyota has done many oil changes and never advised the lift caused any blockage so that they have to remove the sway bar.

YellowSnow 01-06-2019 12:46 AM

Find a new dealer, or local shop who specializes in servicing rigs with aftermarket suspension.

nglayton 01-06-2019 12:51 AM

Yes you should care. But..... they broke it, then they fixed it. What else do you expect them to do? It's not like they can undo the stripped out bolt. The fix sounds legitimate to me.

CutthroatSlam 01-06-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalodon (Post 3203568)
No way I would stand for this! They should swap it out for a brand new truck off the lot, or at least fully replace the entire suspension system. Nothing less! Get your lawyer involved if you have to!

They corrected the problem. You’re overreacting a bit much.

rasber3140 01-06-2019 08:09 AM

I would care. Bolt removal and installation is a pretty basic process that you should be able to reasonably expect a dealer to perform. If it being aftermarket was going to be an issue they should have notified you before they began the work. I would start by asking them to pay to make it like new. You probably don't have a case to demand a new truck or an entirely new front suspension.

Agent_Outside 01-06-2019 11:22 AM

There’s not enough info here to know what actually happened. Im assuming you’re trying to say the threads were damaged? It’s highly likely that it was the installation of that bolt that damaged it and the removal just revealed it.

<<<< 01-06-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam (Post 3203603)
They corrected the problem. You’re overreacting a bit much.

They didn't correct it. He said they tapped stripped thread, most likely put larger bolt in new thread and 2 nuts on the back of it. You want a new unaltered part and original size bolts. Go back and ask them to do it right this time. GL

CutthroatSlam 01-06-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <<<< (Post 3203736)
They didn't correct it. He said they tapped stripped thread, most likely put larger bolt in new thread and 2 nuts on the back of it. You want a new unaltered part and original size bolts. Go back and ask them to do it right this time. GL

That’s the repair I would do. Only other option would be to weld a nut onto the back. Given what transpired already, I wouldn’t let them do that. And good luck asking for all new shit. This is why I never take a car into a dealer.

pDubs 01-06-2019 12:46 PM

None of this is adding up. The swaybar?

Do you think maybe they stripped a skid plate bolt? That needs to be removed to get to oil filter, not the sway bar.

Saker 01-06-2019 01:14 PM

OK, you said they stripped the bolt. If they stripped the bolt, they could have chased the frame threads and that should have made it good with replacement of the same size new bolt.

Now if they stripped the frame threads, they should have put a HeliCoil insert or a E-Z LOK insert to repair the threads and without need of double nutting or any other fix. If they tapped it, sounds like they went up one bolt size. That was taking a short cut!!! IMHO

I included a video of a HeliCoil insert process. How to Install a HeliCoil

Judd94 01-06-2019 05:49 PM

Can you post a pic of the new bolt? Also and I’m assuming you can take a pic of what it should look like on the other side. You should be able to measure the bolts and see if they’re the same size.