Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Adam's '06 SR5 V6 Thread (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/267055-adams-06-sr5-v6-thread.html)

adamlakesuperior 01-06-2019 12:58 PM

Adam's '06 SR5 V6 Thread

Hi Everybody,

After doing some sticky research, I've decided to start one single thread to address a bunch of questions I have regarding my specific vehicle, and also keep track of it over time.

I'm new to 4Runners and the forum. Recently bought an 06 SR5 V6, 150K miles. Going to use it as a daily driver to travel around a lot for work---I'm a Union Millwright---and simultaneously to camp in while exploring wilderness areas around the country. I used to accomplish this by tent camping off the back of a DualSport motorcycle, but now I'm looking to upgrade comfort, security, and payload, as I travel for work.

My problem is that, even though I'm a mechanically minded person (Millwright work deals with mechanics, rigging, welding, fab... you name it), I don't know much at all about cars!!

My mechanical knowledge and hobbies have always focused on other things. So I've decided to come to the place where the knowledge base and hobbies center around my specific project vehicle. Hopefully it'll help me avoid stupid mistakes and countless, frustrating hours of research.

Some things I would appreciate experienced opinions about:
1) I need some new tires.

The generic ones on the vehicle are made from a poor compound for Winter driving in WI. I'm looking at going with Goodyear Duratracs in either 265/65/r17 or 265/70r17 as a year-round compromise for my purposes.

After doing some reading, it seems that the choice here would come down to suspension type? The 70s might rub on stock vehicle, correct? Any other, better tire ideas?
2) I'm not sure what suspension setup would be optimal for my specific purposes.

I am not particularly interested in rock crawling or 4x4 as a sport, so to speak. Not off-road racing or pushing the vehicle to limits for fun. I'm simply looking to create a balanced setup that will let me explore as deeply into remote wilderness areas as realistically possible, with as much confidence as possible, without sacrificing too much freeway and commuting chops; pavement is where I'm going to really rack up the miles!

I tend to carry a bunch of tools and gear in my vehicles, and will probably eventually remove the rear seats and construct some kind of bed platform that is tailored specifically to traveling/camping with my tools/gear onboard. I'm not sure how much extra weight and load geometry should play into my decision here.

Does an OEM suspension refresh make any sense for these purposes? Or would I be smart to explore aftermarket options? I don't really want to invest heavily, but if several hundred dollars is going to make life way more pleasant, I'd be foolish to ignore this.

Extra ground clearance is certainly nice, but I'm primarily concerned with safety, reliability, and durability.
3) I need some reasonably budget minded, utilitarian seat covers.

These will see plenty of abuse/dirt in my line of work. Interior is a grey pattern with black trim, and vehicle is Galactic Grey/Mica.
4) Service.

I'm thinking about just bringing it into a Toyota dealer for a detailed inspection, replace or sample ALL the fluids-including the 4wd systems components, and also do a detailed analysis of the condition of the suspension and front end components.

Is there anything I should very pointedly ask them to be looking at specifically on this vehicle at 150K?
5) I'd like to be able to connect my phone's audio to the stereo system.

What is the best option here for music, voice control, and phone calls on an Android phone? I see that there's a kit that's been available for years and years now, one that has a microphone built in for hands free calling that routes to the drivers side door trim. GTA, I think it is. I really detest the lights on most new car stereos, and kind of like how the lighting on the factory unit is subdued, matches the dash, and adjustable.
6) Any other advice I need but am too ignorant to ask for? Things I should be looking out for or considering?

Thank you all very much! This forum is awesome, and I've already learned a ton by reading and searching, but I just can't replace specific expert opinions with stickies and forum searches, many of which turn up info that's a decade old. I'm just not savvy enough to use that information to maximum effect without help.

TenTwelve 01-06-2019 01:44 PM

I am a Toyota Service Advisor (I am pretty new to the brand though). I happen to work for a well established and very respected dealership locally (been around for decades and consistently win awards etc, etc) and I know we are no pressure, fair, and honest. So... With that in mind find the oldest and best reviewed dealership for your inspection and unfortunately expect to pay a nominal fee.

Now, the audio situation. I just installed a Pioneer CarPlay head unit in my recently acquired 4th gen myself. You'll need (for steering wheel controls and easy integration) the Pac Audio RP4.2-TY11, some manner of mounting kit (I used Metra. Scosche also makes one), and the head unit of your choosing. Plenty of write ups and videos and it's very straight forward.

Read your post instead of skimming lol: The Pioneer touch screen head unit (MVH 1400NEX) I bought can have it's illumination changed to match the rest of the interior lights and I also ran the included mic up and attached it to the rearview mirror. In addition I installed a little USB & Aux port panel in one of the switch locations just in front of the center arm rest. I'll get some pics.

adamlakesuperior 01-06-2019 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a decent place picked out. Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee is, I believe, the biggest dealer by volume in Wisconsin. My mother lives in Milwaukee, so I get there pretty often. I brought a couple 4th Gens there for pre purchase inspection. Both had some issues and I had to pass. They only charged me for one, and that was only 60 bucks. It was worth that just to be able to walk around underneath them with a flood light!

Boort 01-07-2019 12:24 AM

@adamlakesuperior

I'll provide input based on what I've done to my '06 v8 that I picked up about a year ago:

2) I'm not sure what suspension setup would be optimal for my specific purposes.
I bought the truck about a year ago and had BP-51's, OME springs, SPC UCA's, along with BFG KO2 275/70/17 on the TRD Pro Sema rims installed in early June. This setup works out to a 2.5" lift. Much like you I have no plans for off-road racing or pushing the vehicle to limits. I do however like to go down forest roads, just to see where they go, in search of beauty and a place to camp for the night.

This kit has provided a balanced setup that handles well on the highway (3k RT from Colorado -> California with my hard side popup), nicely off road (with trips around CO, WY, and the Eastern Sierras so far) and still well mannered for in town trips.

I too carry a small collection of tools and various gear in my T4R, I've chosen to keep the rear seats have built a modified drawer system pased on the free plans from The Adventure Index ( @Bagel sjustBagles 4Runner Drawer/Camping/Storage System - FREE ) with an extension to make a bed platform

I installed the drawers and loaded them out prior to having the suspension installed so that the springs could be chosen and BP-51 could be tuned with the load. My drawer system and bed platform weigh in at 150 lbs empty, tools and gear depend on activity and number of riders.

OEM XREAS replacement was going to cost more than by BP51 setup while not providing the enhanced capabilities. Here were the 2 packages I was considering:
3" OME Suspension Kit with UCA $1460 + Install and Alignment
2 x OME885 Front Coil Springs (use OME884 if running a v6)
2 x 90021 Front Struts
2 x 60004 Shocks
2 x OME895 Springs

3" OME BP51 Suspension Kit $3300 + Install and Alignment
2 x BP5190004 Bypass Coil Overs with remote reservoirs
2 x BP5160025 Bypass shocks with remote reservoirs
1 x VM80010009 Fit Kit
1 x VM80010010 Fit Kit
SPC- Upper Control Arms
2 x OME 2899 Rear Springs

I saved up and went with the BP51 kit for the easier adjust-ability. So far it has not been needed.

1) I need some new tires.
I recommend that you decide on this after you pick the suspension. With the Lift and upgrade to the BFG KO2 at 275/70/17 on the TRD Pro rims the only rubbing issue was the front mud flaps which were quickly removed. You can get a good idea for fitment of different sizes by entering in a pair at Tire Size Comparison

Looking at the 2 you are currently considering:
265/65/r17 :
Diameter 30.6"
Width 10.4"
Sidewall 6.8"
Circum. 96"
Revs/Mile 660

265/70/r17 :
Diameter 31.6" +1" or 3.3%
Width 10.4" 0
Sidewall 7.3" +7.4%
Circum. 99.2" +3.3%
Revs/Mile 638 -22

3) I need some reasonably budget minded, utilitarian seat covers.
I was not able to find any budget covers that fit worth a damn. I went with the Coverking tactical covers that Costco.com had a deal on. ( Coverking 1 Row Tactical Seat Cover Black & Charcoal ) Costco was great to deal with since the order was a mess. They were able to get it straightened out to my satisfaction but it took a few calls and some back-n-forth between me, them, and Coverking. The MOLLE feature turned out to be nearly useless since I put in the sleeping platform the bags get in the way of folding down the back seats and are a pain to put on and remove. I'd skip these next time and save $100+. Cabelas / Carhartt also had some that looked good but were only available in tan or Camo a the time. ( https://www.cabelas.com/product/pc/1...80/2600960.uts )

I hope that this provides some insight for you and aids in your decision.

Boort

adamlakesuperior 01-08-2019 12:30 AM

Thanks for your input!

TenTwelve 01-08-2019 01:37 PM

Here’s what my new head unit and USB/Aux port look like...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e5abe7ab93.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a5dda0702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamlakesuperior 01-09-2019 11:27 PM

I've got a Google Pixel 3XL Android phone, which is a pretty big display itself. It has all the functionality I could want, and is wonderfully controllable with voice commands. I like how my dashboard mount can bring it closer to my line of sight when navigating with Google Maps in an unfamiliar city. This lets me keep better situational awareness when I have to get a quick glance at the map.

I just need a way to connect it to the truck's speakers while maintaining the ability to use always listening microphone.

Perhaps an FM transmitter would would fine for me, but I hear the sound quality isn't the best, and I'm not sure how annoying it may be to have random radio interference while traveling across different broadcast zones.

adamlakesuperior 01-09-2019 11:42 PM

After looking around the forum, now I'm getting the itch to fabricate some custom bumpers! This place is going to cost me money eventually. Are there any resources for schematic drawings of various bumper projects?

I wish I had time to put together a new suspension setup and then get new tires, but I'm traveling 6 days a week for work. I don't have the time or facilities to address that right now.

If I knew that the 265 70 r17s wouldn't cause a problem with rubbing, I would get those preemptively and do the suspension later. But I need some better winter traction ASAP. Would 265 65 r17s look goofy on a moderate lift with custom bumpers?