Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help me diagnose my problem. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/267085-help-me-diagnose-my-problem.html)

Stewart 01-07-2019 10:12 AM

Help me diagnose my problem.

Looking for some of you keyboard mechanics to help me diagnose the problem im having with my 4Runner.

Few details:
2010 SR5
101K miles
BFG All Terrain KO2 tires

The vehicle is always well maintained. All service intervals have been met - oil changed as required.
I think that I may need an alignment but here are the symptoms.

1) +25mph i can hear / feel a vibration that seems to be coming from the passenger front wheel area.
The sound resembles a gear whine or even road noise - you might even call it resonance..

2) I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal.

3) the sound is noticeable but know that I also have some aggressive tire tread . this sound im hearing makes the road noise from the tires even louder.

4) The brakes feel to be operating as they should - no vibration / pulsing when braking etc. Braking does not effect the symptoms im having.

5) The feel / noise happens when driving straight or turning left on a sweeping curve.

6) The sound / vibration seems to be lessened when going over undulations (Whoop de doos) in the pavement. (This could be the aggressive tire tread on the BFG's)

6) Whats puzzling is that when i turn right (Sweeping curve or highway ramp) the sound and vibration completely disappear!

So, what do you think?
Alignment issue?
Bearing Issue?
Transfer case issue?
Brake Issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

LandCruiser 01-07-2019 10:19 AM

Needle roller bearing?

meder24 01-07-2019 10:21 AM

I agree it sounds like a wheel bearing going out.

CLO T4R 01-07-2019 10:21 AM

Sounds like a bearing issue to me. Jack up the front of your truck with both wheels up and see if you have any play on the wheels.

eelliiss 01-07-2019 10:28 AM

Agree with all the wheel bearing responses. Classic symptoms. If you're doing it yourself, I recommend buying the full assembly.

Blue Pit Bearings | 2003-2017 Toyota 4runner 4x4

Stewart 01-07-2019 10:28 AM

so the sound / vibration would disappear when turning? If yes, would you assume that the bad bearing would be the passenger front?

eelliiss 01-07-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart (Post 3204282)
so the sound / vibration would disappear when turning? If yes, would you assume that the bad bearing would be the passenger front?

Yes, the bad bearing would be on the opposite side of the turn you make in order to get the sound to go away.

Edit: Whoops, re-read your post. You're turning right when the sound disappears, so it would be the driver's side wheel bearing.

CLO T4R 01-07-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart (Post 3204282)

I would actually assume its the driver side just cause all the weight is being transferred to that side and its probably keeping the wheel hub from wobbling. But I still suggest jacking the front of your truck up and see which side has play/noise.

Stewart 01-07-2019 10:35 AM

ok got it. sound goes away when making right turns so bad bearing would be driver side.

flyrv9 01-07-2019 10:42 AM

Agree with the wheel bearing diagnosis. I would change both front bearings as the other one is probably not far from failing too.

WindyCity4Runner 01-07-2019 03:37 PM

If your wheel bearings are OK, how many miles are on your tires? My snow tires just started making a noise like what you describe. I originally thought it was wheel bearings but it's just the tires.

Stewart 01-07-2019 04:56 PM

i have about 20K on the tires.

themaestro 01-07-2019 05:39 PM

I just did this myself at 75K.

go to Marion Bumper2Bumper Automotive

Different part for 4x4 or 2wd, but either way, buy 2 assemblies (driver, passenger)

Either take it to your trusted mechanic or do it yourself. I am not a serious wrench myself, but did both of mine on a Saturday. Its medium difficulty, but if you have the right tools its doable.

Watch this video: YouTube

Edit: Also, with 101K, its a perfect time to install new rotors and pads while you have the caliper off.

willo 01-07-2019 06:12 PM

Have your tires re-balanced too.
  • You could just have lost a wheel weight
  • It'll make your new wheel bearing last longer.

Breadman03 01-07-2019 09:13 PM

My 2011 w/126k just had the same exact issue. @bumper2bumperauto makes a hub and wheel bearing that are already pressed together. I recently ordered 2 bearings from him and bought an impact wrench since I'm getting lazy. It took me maybe 2.5 hours to do both sides in my on-street parking, which included putting all four corners on jack stands to rotate my tires. I did both sides just to ensure I got the bad bearing.

The only negatives I experienced was that it took about 2 weeks to ship instead of the stated 2-7 days and had difficulty getting a response from the owner when I asked for an ETA. I'll gladly order from them again if I ever wear these bearings out.

Here's a link to his F/S thread.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/for-sale-t4r-items/167122-fs-complete-front-wheel-bearing-assemblies-lowest-price-anywhere-$170-3.html#post3182774