Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Airbag recall question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/267311-airbag-recall-question.html)

K9trainer 01-12-2019 03:43 AM

Airbag recall question

I have a 2015 TEP and like everyone’s else need the passenger side airbag replaced under the recall.
Is it true the entire dash has to come off for the replacement?
I’m not happy about have any work done on a newer truck, it’s just never the same because of the work quality. What should I expect with this repair?

intenseTRD 01-12-2019 04:08 AM

As a mercedes benz tech, the most we have to do for passenger airbags is remove the glove box. Some C classes we just loosen the passenger side of the dash to give it a bit of wiggle for it to fall out. Hopefully its a simple process with the 4runner. How long are they quoting you for a wait time? I think if its more than 2 hours (car wash time not included) they dash is probably coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K9trainer 01-12-2019 05:27 AM

All day. There telling me the dash has to come off but I want to hear from others if this is the case.

ChiTri 01-12-2019 08:33 AM

Had mine done yesterday and they took the dash and most of the center console out. They had to have me come back in and unlock my console vault so they could remove it. Originally they said it would be a 2 hour job, was more like 6.

2016 4Runner SR5 01-12-2019 08:41 AM

What exactly is the reason for this recall? Depending on the reason, I may or may not have it done.

bamma 01-12-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3208066)
What exactly is the reason for this recall? Depending on the reason, I may or may not have it done.

I had it done over a year ago. Car is stil solid and rattle free.

In an accident the airbag can shoot out schrapnel and injury or kill your passengers. People have died due to this issue in low speed accidents.

2016 4Runner SR5 01-12-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamma (Post 3208076)
I had it done over a year ago. Car is stil solid and rattle free.

In an accident the airbag can shoot out schrapnel and injury or kill your passengers. People have died due to this issue in low speed accidents.

I have life insurance on the wife...……. lol in all seriousness, thanks for the clarification. Not 100% sure my 16 made the list yet, haven't run the VIN but I will get it taken care of for sure.

ToolUser1 01-12-2019 09:26 AM

One more data point: I scheduled mine yesterday ('11 Trail) and when I said I was dropping it off the night before the the rep said "great, this isn't a job you'll want to wait for - it'll be at least 3 hours"

2016 4Runner SR5 01-12-2019 09:48 AM

Yeah I don't expect it to be fast and sadly I expect issues to come from it because most dealer mechanics are terrible at what they do. I plan to photograph all plastics before it goes it purely to cover my hind parts in the event they scratch or damage something. My 2016 just rolled 15K miles, it's spotless. better than showroom condition with the way I detail my vehicles, still has the new car smell and I plan on keeping it that way.

bamma 01-12-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3208097)
Yeah I don't expect it to be fast and sadly I expect issues to come from it because most dealer mechanics are terrible at what they do. I plan to photograph all plastics before it goes it purely to cover my hind parts in the event they scratch or damage something. My 2016 just rolled 15K miles, it's spotless. better than showroom condition with the way I detail my vehicles, still has the new car smell and I plan on keeping it that way.

Good idea. My shifter was gouged after and the dealer replaced it, but photo proof would be helpful to prove any damage.

FrenchToasty 01-12-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

I have a “10 and had the recall done a few years ago when the parts became available (I’m sure that will be the next issue, no more replacement parts).
The local dealer did a crappy job in my opinion. The bottom sil plate on the door needed to be popped into place in multiple locations. When you open the door and can see the side of the dash wasn’t seated in multiple locations either. And now that I think about it; the glove box hinge now hangs up somewhere(some kind of clearance issue at the pivot in the center) and yeah I’m pretty sure they pop off part of thecenter console and and the shifter bezel. I turned off my accessory breaker because I just new...........they fiddled and tried to turn on light bars and air compressors.
I didn’t take pictures, but I didn’t want to waste even more of my time dealing with them.

pDubs 01-12-2019 11:13 AM

GREAT, I thought it was going to be a simple glove box removal or something.

They will probably jack up my anytime backup cam or LED light bar switch I have wired up to replace the dash blank spots.

Jetboy 01-12-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3208079)
I have life insurance on the wife...……. lol in all seriousness, thanks for the clarification. Not 100% sure my 16 made the list yet, haven't run the VIN but I will get it taken care of for sure.

Yeah - it's for real. The explosive chemistry becomes more volatile over time until it expands so quickly that it causes the metal housing parts to fracture where it's supposed to bend away from the airbag. The result is metal shrapnel.

http://www.shfwire.com/wp-content/up.../06/Nelson.jpg

K9trainer 01-12-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3208066)

Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns

K9trainer 01-12-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

I feel the same way and I’ll do the same, my 2015 TEP has 7500 miles on it.