Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Hitch Cargo Carriers (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/267465-hitch-cargo-carriers.html)

notoriouslyKEN 01-15-2019 08:24 PM

Hitch Cargo Carriers

Anybody get running a hitch cargo carrier for extra gear? I think I want to get one for family trips to OBX. I was checking out the Curt Manufacturing ones on Amazon. I measured the rear bumper and it's about 60" wide. Curt makes a 60" wide carrier. Never having a hitch carrier before, that seems like it would be very wide on the rear. They have a 48" model, that seems reasonable but I'd worry about it not storing enough. Anyone have one of these sizes and care to weigh in and aid my decision? Is Curt recommended or is there a better manufacturer?

Curt 18153 60" Basket
Curt 18110 48" Tray

KingTaco 01-15-2019 08:31 PM

@notoriouslyKEN I got a cheapo 48" tray from Amazon for a cross country move recently (don't recall if it was the Curt or not), and I was surprised at how sturdy it was. Didn't rattle around at all. I bolted a large toolbox to it and filled it up.

I carry multiple bikes that are more than 60" log all the time, so I can't imagine you would have any trouble with the bigger one. Just depends on how much you want to put in there.

Bugser 01-15-2019 08:58 PM

I have the 48” model and like it. Holds a ton of weight. I do wish it was the basket type because it appears that it would hold things a little more secure. However, I added a folding adapter that makes it incredibly heavy and harder to put on, but it’s really convenient to fold it up when not carrying anything. When I get a new one, it will be aluminum for lighter weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWM816 01-15-2019 09:23 PM

I have been eyeballing the harbor freight hitch rack...

Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

Thermal 01-15-2019 09:37 PM

I bought one from Northern Tool. Got the Ultra Tow 49" aluminium. They do sell a 60" aluminium model too.

Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers | Northern Tool + Equipment

The 49" held a 165 quart ice chest and that's about all the space it had for it. Didn't have any handling issues but I do have upgraded springs and shocks. Not sure how a 60" would handle with it weighed down some.

Most states do require a rear license with lights so I also got this:
LED Trailer License Plate Light w/ Mounting Bracket - Clear Lens Command Electronics Trailer Lights 328-003-70BE

If you had the $$ then get this carrier :D
Pakmule Gear

John in NC 01-15-2019 09:39 PM

I have this aluminum one, very handy. I sprayed all the bolts and nuts with silver spray paint once assembled to keep them from rusting. Grab a 20% off coupon and it's a bargain.
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

KingTaco 01-15-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 3210584)
If you had the $$ then get this carrier :D
Pakmule Gear

gyaht dayum that's a lotta money

Judging by their website, it's just what every guy with a $70k Suburban, $1200 worth of coolers, a $4k shotgun, purebread hunting dogs, and 200 acres of land needs!

pDubs 01-15-2019 10:13 PM

I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UncleBoobers 01-15-2019 10:46 PM

I’ve been happy with my 48” Pro Series folding carrier. It’s been great to carry storage boxes or coolers, plus the folding option is handy when leaving camp for the day.

Pro Series 6502 StrongArm Hitch Mounted Folding Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E28EOS..._PFPpCb7WNCPPC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000GM 01-16-2019 12:30 AM

I'm coming off 20 years of owning pickup trucks, so I'm probably going to end up buying one of these too. It would be great to have for filling up fuel cans and hauling waste oil and trash.

notoriouslyKEN 01-16-2019 09:27 AM

Looks like 48" is the most popular. I do have a 140qt cooler that I would load onto the carrier for hunting trips. I think that would probably take up all of the space on a 48"er.
@pDubs Any drawbacks to the 60" size that you've found?

YellowSnow 01-16-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTaco (Post 3210600)
gyaht dayum that's a lotta money

Judging by their website, it's just what every guy with a $70k Suburban, $1200 worth of coolers, a $4k shotgun, purebread hunting dogs, and 200 acres of land needs!

And their $35 pakmule trucker hat....

pDubs 01-16-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriouslyKEN (Post 3210839)
Looks like 48" is the most popular. I do have a 140qt cooler that I would load onto the carrier for hunting trips. I think that would probably take up all of the space on a 48"er.
@pDubs Any drawbacks to the 60" size that you've found?

No issue on my end with it. The 60" doesn't stick out past the sides of the bumper at all. The only thing I kinda wish it did was fold up. However that adds pivots and pins and things that could essentially fail or wobble.

If you look in the Amazon review pictures you can see a few 5th gen 4runners to get an idea of how it sits.

salong53 01-16-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWM816 (Post 3210573)
I have been eyeballing the harbor freight hitch rack...

Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

I bought this one during one of their sales for like $40. I drilled some holes in it so it slides futher into the hitch receiver and sits closer to the bumper. I haul trash to the dump every week, and have carried items as heavy as firewood on it. It's extremely useful and I love having it.

That being said, the powdercoat wore out quickly and a couple of the metal slats are rusted completely through within 3 years. I'll probably go for an aluminum when this one finally falls apart.

Soneill 01-16-2019 12:45 PM

I got mine on Amazon for like $40. Loaded it up with wood and drove 3hrs to go camping with zero issues. Thinking about drilling new holes to move it closer to the hitch like @salong53 said he did.
https://i.postimg.cc/R07CYLXm/20171116-230550.jpg