Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   General Grabber ATX tire (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/267719-general-grabber-atx-tire.html)

quicksandTRDPRO 01-21-2019 09:25 PM

General Grabber ATX tire

1 Attachment(s)
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion on the new atx, but I decided to go ahead and try them out. Glad I did, so far it's been great! I just drove in a huge snow storm this morning, very icy roads, and the tires did excellent. With my old Nitto grapplers I would have had to be in 4h and still would have been slipping around. Never had to use 4h, and felt very planted and confident. Granted these are still very new, but they are super quiet and feel like they soak up so much more of the terrain than the Nittos did. I went with the stock 265 70 17 in standard load. I'm not sure how much the grapplers weighed but these feel lighter. I am hoping they do some more C loads down the road, I'd like to try those out. Anyway, if you're getting to the point of getting new tires I would definitely recommend trying this tire out. Wet and snow/ice traction has really surprised me. I think General Tire nailed it with this tire!

Karnivor707 01-29-2019 10:45 PM

Those are sweet, I see a lot of bfg ko2’s all over town, the generals are made by the same company so should be a super good tire, thanks for adding an actual picture of them on rim/vehicle, they look sweet.

16RedRunner 01-30-2019 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnivor707 (Post 3220572)
Those are sweet, I see a lot of bfg ko2’s all over town, the generals are made by the same company so should be a super good tire, thanks for adding an actual picture of them on rim/vehicle, they look sweet.

General are part of Continental company BFG is part of Michelin.I have the ATx on my 4runner and love them!

Nefarioc 01-30-2019 11:25 AM

I intend on getting these tires. Does anyone know what size these come with the Red lettering on the side walls?

16RedRunner 01-30-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefarioc (Post 3220805)
I intend on getting these tires. Does anyone know what size these come with the Red lettering on the side walls?

None the Grabber X3 is red letter the ATx is white letter.

Karnivor707 01-31-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16RedRunner (Post 3220769)
General are part of Continental company BFG is part of Michelin.I have the ATx on my 4runner and love them!

Oh ok, for some reason I just assumed. Thanks for correcting that, I always liked continental tires for my passenger vehicles. Nice to see other companies engaging in all terrain tires.

Starsky 02-16-2019 04:11 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and photos. I just sprung for a set for my new 4Runner to replace the OEMs. They arrive Tuesday. I really liked the tread style of the ATX and the great snow rating. They seem like good daily drivers too. I haven't found one negative comment about them yet.

Decipher 02-28-2019 01:49 PM

The more I see these the more I love the look. Seems like they’ve got the performance to back it. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4RCrusing 03-25-2019 05:20 PM

I'm a month or two away from needing new tires and the General ATX looks appealing. You guys that have been using them for awhile are you still pleased with the ride and performance and if not what issues have you had.
Can anyone comment on how they do in mud, being in the south we have plenty of it.

Thanks

Decipher 03-25-2019 06:52 PM

Although I’m not running them yet, I love that they’re following the trend of being a hybrid design with the larger lug spacing on the outer edge (think MT) and the AT lug design and spacing on the inside of the tread. You’re seeing this design on the Nitto Ridge Grappler, GY Duratracs, and Falken Wildpeak AT3W, to name a few.

In theory, this design should do well but not excel in all categories. It’s a jack of all trades, master of none scenario. I would still expect good performance based on my experience with the Wildpeaks.

Raptor008v2 03-26-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4RCrusing (Post 3258603)
I'm a month or two away from needing new tires and the General ATX looks appealing. You guys that have been using them for awhile are you still pleased with the ride and performance and if not what issues have you had.
Can anyone comment on how they do in mud, being in the south we have plenty of it.

Thanks

Same here. Interested in hearing updates. I'll be purchasing new tires in the next month. I've narrowed it down to these and KO2s. I've been uneventfully running KO2s the last 70k miles, and I'm itching to try something new. I do like the look of the ATX and the attention they paid to designing the upper sidewall features to protect from rocks.

I got my hands on them the other day and they look great in person. They are about 2.4 lbs heavier in LT285/70R17 than the same-sized KO2 (58 vs 60.4 lbs); I doubt I'll be able to notice the difference.

Also, the sidewall of the ATX is 2-ply vs the KO2's 3-ply. With that said, General states that their 2-ply is similar in thickness to their competitors' 3-ply. Great, I have a set of calipers. ATX came in at about 8.9-9.0mm and the KO2 was maybe 0.5mm more than that. So, they're close enough to be considered within the Raptor008v2 margin of error.

That's my "my wife says just to pick a damn tire already" contribution for the day.

gdvan01 03-26-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksandTRDPRO (Post 3214614)
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion on the new atx, but I decided to go ahead and try them out. Glad I did, so far it's been great! I just drove in a huge snow storm this morning, very icy roads, and the tires did excellent. With my old Nitto grapplers I would have had to be in 4h and still would have been slipping around. Never had to use 4h, and felt very planted and confident. Granted these are still very new, but they are super quiet and feel like they soak up so much more of the terrain than the Nittos did. I went with the stock 265 70 17 in standard load. I'm not sure how much the grapplers weighed but these feel lighter. I am hoping they do some more C loads down the road, I'd like to try those out. Anyway, if you're getting to the point of getting new tires I would definitely recommend trying this tire out. Wet and snow/ice traction has really surprised me. I think General Tire nailed it with this tire!

Oh hellz yeah..

Decipher 03-26-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor008v2 (Post 3259193)
Same here. Interested in hearing updates. I'll be purchasing new tires in the next month. I've narrowed it down to these and KO2s. I've been uneventfully running KO2s the last 70k miles, and I'm itching to try something new. I do like the look of the ATX and the attention they paid to designing the upper sidewall features to protect from rocks.

I got my hands on them the other day and they look great in person. They are about 2.4 lbs heavier in LT285/70R17 than the same-sized KO2 (58 vs 60.4 lbs); I doubt I'll be able to notice the difference.

Also, the sidewall of the ATX is 2-ply vs the KO2's 3-ply. With that said, General states that their 2-ply is similar in thickness to their competitors' 3-ply. Great, I have a set of calipers. ATX came in at about 8.9-9.0mm and the KO2 was maybe 0.5mm more than that. So, they're close enough to be considered within the Raptor008v2 margin of error.

That's my "my wife says just to pick a damn tire already" contribution for the day.

Interesting info on the sidewalk measurement. Thanks for doing that!

Having KO2s myself, the lower sidewall ply would have been enough to give me cause for concern.

quicksandTRDPRO 03-29-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4RCrusing (Post 3258603)

Thanks

Still loving this tire! I really didn't have a lot to go off in terms of other's experience with them, but they have far exceeded my expectations. They have checked all the boxes for me so far. I haven't had a chance to really get into mud yet so I can't comment there, but I would feel safe assuming they are as good if not better than any other AT out there right now.

quicksandTRDPRO 03-29-2019 12:00 PM

Not my review or video.

http://https://youtu.be/9VB4nFrcnBc