Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4th to 5th Generation - Looking for Information (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/267832-4th-5th-generation-looking-information.html)

4-Legged-Runner 01-24-2019 09:21 AM

4th to 5th Generation - Looking for Information

Hi Everyone -

Long time member, frequently stalking but rarely posting.

We have resigned to the fact that we are ready to upgrade (?) from our 2005 T4R Sport Edition V8 to a current 5th Generation. We have our sights set on a T4R Off Road (coming in at just under $40,000 MSRP). However, as educated as we feel we have become on the current-generation, we have a few questions that we cannot seem to get answered from the dealer salesman.

We certainly realize the obvious items that are no longer standard (roof rack cross bars) or are no longer available (locking fuel filler lid, auto-closing lift gate) but one of the most desirable features for our current 2005 T4R is the Decent Assist Control. It appears available on the SR5, but not as obvious in the Off Road. Is the functionality of DAC built INTO the Multi-Terrain Select and Crawl Control? How exceptional is the CRAWL control? Coming from a V8 w/ the locking center diff, we have never gotten stuck. We do not hard-core off road, but we do like the look of the Off Road better than the SR5.

Additionally, we would be curious what discounts/dealer price reduction others are getting on the current-gen T4R. Of course the SR5 is more common than the Off Road and therefore we would expect the dealers to move LESS on the Off Road. Our initial (sole) negotiation with the selling dealer regarding the Off Road resulted in a ~ 10% reduction from MSRP. This reduction was independent of our trade-in, just coming off the sticker. Is this reduction on par with other people's purchase experience, or is there more room?

We really dislike the new vehicle purchasing process - especially with a vehicle we love so very much. However, we do want to part ways with our T4R before repairs become major. We have been waiting to see the next-generation but every year seems to continue with the current 5th generation.

Thanks in advance for all of the replies and information - hopefully we can post some pics of our new T4R soon.

Orc 01-24-2019 09:46 AM

All 4x4 models have DAC.

I see this phrase more and more "I really dislike the new vehicle purchasing process"

Buying a new vehicle is almost a game. I have purchased regrettably, over 15 new vehicles while mostly all for myself a few were for family members. 6 were from the same salesman. The discount depends on many factors from both parties mood and attitudes to what particular vehicle you're buying. In theory they can say MSRP or walk. The discount you got for walking in isn't bad perhaps nicely negotiating a few hundred more off wouldn't hurt.

Toffees 01-24-2019 10:12 AM

No V8. You probably are aware of this, but 4G drivers comment on this frequently. The 5G isn't a pig, but she's not equipped with a V8.

Get to know KDSS (and not). If you're coming off XREAS in your 4G then you will want to know the good and bad of each option. There is a lot to say about that.

The Torsen center diff (AWD) is only available in the LE.

Not sure there are any other operational differences (I assume you're aware the OR has the rear locker).

Cadesun 01-24-2019 11:02 AM

We went from a 2006 SR5 4th gen to the 2015 Trail and the dealer never mentioned any "loyalty" credit. I think we negotiated the sticker down around 10% like you and then I got an extra $500 on the trade by haggling.

I agree, car buying is a pain because you can never get a straight answer from the (usually) slimy sales people. And don't even get me started on the extended warranty and other BS they throw at you along the way.

Aside from the usual annoyance of the buying experience, we have enjoyed the upgrade. You will definitely miss the V8 power, but there are a couple devices you can buy to reduce pedal lag. Also, don't bother buying Toyota crossbars, lots of reports of them being extremely flimsy. We just bit the bullet and bought a Thule rack system to carry our cargo box, canoes, etc.

mteolus 01-24-2019 11:44 AM

When I first needed Decent Assist Control I couldn't find the button. I just used Crawl Control so I guess that is the equivalent in an OR but not 100% sure. 4-lo is usually good enough but on super steep slopes Crawl Control worked good.

For current prices, check out the "What did you pay for your 4Runner" topic.

97BlackAckCL 01-24-2019 11:46 AM

I traded in my 08 4th gen on my 17 SR5P and they did give me a "loyalty discount" I believe it was only a grand, but hey anything helps on a brand new 40K truck. And yes, DAC is standard on all 4Runners

4-Legged-Runner 01-24-2019 12:39 PM

Interesting statements that DAC is on all T4R. I assume it is hidden within the CRAWL control. On the website, when comparing the SR5 to the OR, there is definite identification of the DAC on the SR5. We really like the XREAS until it came time to replace shocks/struts. When it failed, it FAILED. We ended going the 5100 route.

We miss the V8 on the test drive - to be sure.

Good to know about the cross bars. You want to talk about flimsy, I thought the cargo cover was going to break off in my hand when I first pulled it.

Thanks for the mention of the "What did you pay" thread - will look that one up. We are struggling to justify the slight premium of the OR to the SR5 - especially given that the SR5 may have more negotiation opportunity. We definitely like the look of the OR, but perhaps the exclusivity (in our area?) is keeping the price too high?

Aside from all of the niggling about the 5G T4R, we cannot find anything else on the market at this time that would satisfy us. We definitely welcome the owner input.

Thanks for all of the continued input.

MossJenks 01-24-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-Legged-Runner (Post 3216600)
Interesting statements that DAC is on all T4R. I assume it is hidden within the CRAWL control. On the website, when comparing the SR5 to the OR, there is definite identification of the DAC on the SR5. We really like the XREAS until it came time to replace shocks/struts. When it failed, it FAILED. We ended going the 5100 route.

Yeah, it's the crawl control. It'll "crawl" at whatever speed you set uphill or downhill.

IanB 01-24-2019 01:29 PM

I'm a current owner of an '04 GX470 (same drivetrain as your 4th gen minus the vvti and power boost that came in '05), and a '15 4Runner Ltd.

The pedal calibration in the 4Runner made it feel like a dog, despite having a signifigant power and torque advantage on paper over the GX. I purchased a sprint booster for the 4Runner and it made a considerable difference, making the 4Runner feel like the spec sheet suggests it should, well worth the purchase price IMO. Totally changed the character of the 4Runner for the better. The power is there, you just have to work it really hard to access it in stock configuration.

mteolus 01-24-2019 01:42 PM

You will hear arguments over whether the Crawl Control and Terrain Select are gimmicks or not (OR and Pro), but the OR and PRO does have a locking rear differential also that the SR5 doesn't have.

The OR only has the option of KDSS. I have it and like it, some don't though. KDSS will make cornering more level at higher speeds and at lower speeds (off road) will give you more articulation.

It's the TRD Pro that doesn't seem to have much if any negotiation leverage. The OR and SR5 does (not sure but probably Limited too). Looks like some people are getting 3 or 4 thousand off of the OR and maybe slightly more on an SR5. Not every dealership will give that so some like me have gone out of state.

The V6 power is adequate in my opinion on a stock 4Runner, it becomes less adequate when adding weight from modifications. I bet Jeep owners would say the same thing as the engines in both are similar in power and torque. I watched a YouTube video of a 4Runner racing a Wrangler and the result was dead even at a quarter mile.

Orc 01-24-2019 02:08 PM

Did they make an offer on your old vehicle

Thrasher_S 01-24-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossJenks (Post 3216624)
Yeah, it's the crawl control. It'll "crawl" at whatever speed you set uphill or downhill.

Question: The Crawl uses the brakes to slow wheel speed. What happens if you also select the lowest gear? I've never touched the shifter with Crawl active.

Edit: I just realized we never get fast enough in Crawl to hit 2nd... so the new question is: Does Crawl also utilize engine braking?

Orc 01-24-2019 02:50 PM

You use Crawl control when you put it in drive and just let it go forward. Toyota just adds brakes to maintain speed pretty easy system to add.

Bossman 01-24-2019 03:19 PM

A few links to videos on Downhill Assist Control (DAC) on 5th Gen 4Runners:

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

mteolus 01-24-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 3216747)
A few links to videos on Downhill Assist Control (DAC) on 5th Gen 4Runners:

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

There is no DAC button on my 2017 ORP. I think my buddies 2014 Trail has it. Perhaps this was changed in 2017.