Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Awning mounted to OEM rack? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/267853-awning-mounted-oem-rack.html)

T4topher 01-24-2019 05:07 PM

Awning mounted to OEM rack?

Just wanted to see if anyone mounts these to oem roof racks.. I eventually want an aftermarket roof rack but I need an awning for the wife and soon to be little one sooner than later. I was looking at the ARB 2500x2500 but I think it might be a bit too long for the oem rack to handle so I was also looking at the ARB 2000x2500.. was also thinking about getting the deluxe room attachment as well and using it as a tent/changing room.

TonyB66 01-25-2019 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3216830)
Just wanted to see if anyone mounts these to oem roof racks.. I eventually want an aftermarket roof rack but I need an awning for the wife and soon to be little one sooner than later. I was looking at the ARB 2500x2500 but I think it might be a bit too long for the oem rack to handle so I was also looking at the ARB 2000x2500.. was also thinking about getting the deluxe room attachment as well and using it as a tent/changing room.

As you likely know, I can't help directly from experience, but I thought I saw an ARB awning on a 3rd gen, with the factory rack. I believe it was here, but the images are down.

ARB Awning Install: 3rd Gen 4Runner w / Stock Roof Rack | Expedition Portal

So, doable, and seemingly worked well...

T4topher 01-25-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB66 (Post 3217138)
As you likely know, I can't help directly from experience, but I thought I saw an ARB awning on a 3rd gen, with the factory rack. I believe it was here, but the images are down.

ARB Awning Install: 3rd Gen 4Runner w / Stock Roof Rack | Expedition Portal

So, doable, and seemingly worked well...

Nice find! It’s too bad it won’t load the pictures, sounds like he came up with a pretty simple/effective way of mounting it. I’ll have to try and visualize what he is talking about. Sounds like he went with the 2000x2500 awning.. I’m just worried that won’t be big enough.. wish I could see all the sizes in person before I made the decision..

TonyB66 01-25-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3217407)
Nice find! It’s too bad it won’t load the pictures, sounds like he came up with a pretty simple/effective way of mounting it. I’ll have to try and visualize what he is talking about. Sounds like he went with the 2000x2500 awning.. I’m just worried that won’t be big enough.. wish I could see all the sizes in person before I made the decision..

Maybe worth joining that forum to contact that poster? Since it seems it's doable alright, and can be done nicely, maybe just get one, and figure it out. You do nice work, so I'd bet you do a great job!

T4topher 01-25-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB66 (Post 3217412)
Maybe worth joining that forum to contact that poster? Since it seems it's doable alright, and can be done nicely, maybe just get one, and figure it out. You do nice work, so I'd bet you do a great job!

I saw someone had tried contacting him at the end of that thread. It’s almost 10 years old so I don’t expect him to be active anymore haha.. just from his description though I think I can figure out how he did it. I guess what I’m really trying to figure out is wether to get the 2500 or the 2000 (8’ wide vs 6’ wide).. I’d prefer the 2500 since it’s a 10-20$ cost difference but it would suck to find out I need a full length rack to mount it securely. Thanks for believing in me! Lol

TonyB66 01-25-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3217422)
I saw someone had tried contacting him at the end of that thread. It’s almost 10 years old so I don’t expect him to be active anymore haha.. just from his description though I think I can figure out how he did it. I guess what I’m really trying to figure out is wether to get the 2500 or the 2000 (8’ wide vs 6’ wide).. I’d prefer the 2500 since it’s a 10-20$ cost difference but it would suck to find out I need a full length rack to mount it securely. Thanks for believing in me! Lol

I imagine people here have those two ARB offerings. If so, some measurements and photos might go a long way for you in determining which one to get... If sold locally, maybe worth a trip.

hoksibish 01-25-2019 04:43 PM

I have a knock off awning and i just drilled 4 holes through the bars and added washers top and bottom. I have had no issues with it since i put it up there several months go.
https://i.imgur.com/g4bgYDL.jpg

T4topher 01-25-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoksibish (Post 3217461)
I have a knock off awning and i just drilled 4 holes through the bars and added washers top and bottom. I have had no issues with it since i put it up there several months go.

Nice! That looks great! Is that one about 8’ long? I’m not opposed to drilling holes in the crossbars at all.

hoksibish 01-26-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3217472)
Nice! That looks great! Is that one about 8’ long? I’m not opposed to drilling holes in the crossbars at all.

Thank you. Drilling made quick work of it till i can get a proper rack. Yes its the 8' one.

Junrein 06-08-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoksibish (Post 3217461)

Do you have the link for the awning you got? Also, did it come with the brackets and hardware?

4runnerfiend 06-08-2021 07:05 PM

if you take the Load bars off. un screw and remove the ends you can take the rubber out and there is a channel that you can use to slide a t bolt into and mount those simple L brackets on.

I used an piece that I had left over from a RTT mounting system. flat aluminum piece that had a little indent for holding the bolt head from spinning.
I then trimmed the rubber to fit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0486971d_c.jpgIMG_0518 by chauncy333, on Flickr

pdubskee 08-05-2021 10:31 PM

this is what ive been looking for just ordered the napa awning , lets see how it will hold up !

pdubskee 08-05-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerfiend (Post 3645195)
if you take the Load bars off. un screw and remove the ends you can take the rubber out and there is a channel that you can use to slide a t bolt into and mount those simple L brackets on.

I used an piece that I had left over from a RTT mounting system. flat aluminum piece that had a little indent for holding the bolt head from spinning.
I then trimmed the rubber to fit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0486971d_c.jpgIMG_0518 by chauncy333, on Flickr

What size t bolts did you use?

4runnerfiend 08-06-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubskee (Post 3661856)
What size t bolts did you use?

I actually made my own out of spare parts I had from a roof top tent. They were the aluminum channel slide guys... (don't know what they are called.) had to grind them down to make them fit. nice part is they have a notch that holds the bolt head from spinning.