Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   New aftermarket front calipers for those with sticking issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/267858-new-aftermarket-front-calipers-those-sticking-issues.html)

tom4416 01-24-2019 08:00 PM

New aftermarket front calipers for those with sticking issues

3 Attachment(s)
As one who has gone thru Centronics (8 mos) and Cardone (2 years) rebuilt calipers, I'm tired of changing them and yes, I service them yearly with lubricating sliders, flush brake fluid by dealer every two years. So, when I saw that Raybestos was actually making a brand new caliper decided it was worth a try. Unfortunately these are for WG castings only and only the front but the fronts are the ones that have given me the most problem.

Yes, as shown in the pictures, they are made in China which is a big negative but probably unavoidable for something at a reasonable price ($90 each through Rockauto, no core charge). Nicely plated, fittings properly protected, minor hardware included and they visibly look well made (which I know means nothing).

Installed them today, everything bolted right up properly and they are holding pressure, no visible leaks. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow to get a proper brake flush and then track how well these hold up.

inscarguy 01-24-2019 08:08 PM

I just picked up a set of new Callahan calipers from amazon, look exactly the same, come with all the clips, slides for 108.00 pair. Put them on yesterday. So far so good.

tom4416 01-24-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inscarguy (Post 3216953)
I just picked up a set of new Callahan calipers from amazon, look exactly the same, come with all the clips, slides for 108.00 pair. Put them on yesterday. So far so good.

The description shows them as remanufactured, I wanted to try something new and see if it made any difference.

inscarguy 01-25-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom4416 (Post 3217057)
The description shows them as remanufactured, I wanted to try something new and see if it made any difference.

They were not reman. These were brand new castings. The box even said they were brand new calipers. You can tell the difference between a new and reman caliper.

The listing on amazon was incorrect.

Good luck with the raybestos.

snydmax 06-24-2019 08:42 AM

Bump... so how are the new calipers working out?

Beastmobile 07-26-2020 06:11 PM

Any updates on the Raybestos or Callahan front calipers. My front driver's side (WH) are frozen and need to be replaced.