Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What is everyone using for the 199 brake upgrade? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/268116-what-everyone-using-199-brake-upgrade.html)

Silver Supra 01-30-2019 08:41 AM

What is everyone using for the 199 brake upgrade?

I've had a set of 199 calipers/rotors from Napa for a couple of years and both fronts are nearly frozen. With the tire off the ground I can barely turn one by hand, the other I cannot.

I'm thinking of just throwing them in the trash and going with a power stop kit, but wanted to see what everyone else is using?

I don't have time to rummage through a junk yard and want brakes that just work.

Thanks!

raKnizek 01-30-2019 09:38 AM

I went with the 199 power stop kit. Ordered from RockAuto and sent them my old original calipers as a core.

They have been great for me and everything seemed high quality. Only issue I had was the pad retaining clip broke on the driver side causing the pad to rattle. Replaced it and haven't had the problem again.

You could rebuild the ones you have if youre looking for a little project. Might be worth it if they are OEM.

4Runner4Leon 01-30-2019 11:07 AM

I didn't want red calipers, so I bought Cardone Ultra Premium calipers from RockAuto (powder coated in gray), and the Power Stop rotors and Z36 pads, also from RockAuto. I'm happy with the setup so far.

Interesting factoid is that it was significantly cheaper to order Power Stop calipers, rotors, and pads from RockAuto separately than as one complete kit, at least at that time.

JMat 01-30-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 3220716)
I've had a set of 199 calipers/rotors from Napa for a couple of years and both fronts are nearly frozen. With the tire off the ground I can barely turn one by hand, the other I cannot.

I bought mine from Napa too and am starting to have the same issue... I can still turn the wheels but it's not easy.

marthe4runnerguy 01-30-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 3220716)

I'm thinking of just throwing them in the trash and going with a power stop kit, but wanted to see what everyone else is using?

I don't have time to rummage through a junk yard and want brakes that just work.

Thanks!

I just commute on pavement in my 3rd gen so I have the basic Power Stop rotors and some auto zone gold ceramic pads, 20k miles later and everything is still perfect. Just ordered a power stop kit for my other 3rd gen, so a Power stop kit is definitely a good option

Silver Supra 01-30-2019 10:36 PM

I ended up ordering a Power Stop 231 kit today and will be tossing my NAPA garbage in the the... well... garbage.

antexity 01-30-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 3221496)
I ended up ordering a Power Stop 231 kit today and will be tossing my NAPA garbage in the the... well... garbage.

Could you share the link of the items you ordered please?

Thanks bud.

marthe4runnerguy 01-31-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antexity (Post 3221536)
Could you share the link of the items you ordered please?

Thanks bud.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,14204

3 options right there from basic to heavy duty, these kits include calipers too if yours are gargage rn

calimobber 01-31-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 3221496)

Im sure there is guys on here that would love to get some used napa 199 calipers/rotors, especially since its prob guaranteed for life.

Offer them up for free on the forums. I have the 231 napa's and while I haven't checked if I can freely spin them with my hands. My mileage has been the same over the 30k + miles I've had them.

quicksilvr 01-31-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marthe4runnerguy (Post 3221552)
1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 3.4L V6 Caliper, Rotor & Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

3 options right there from basic to heavy duty, these kits include calipers too if yours are gargage rn

That's a link to regular 4Runner brake parts, just FYI. The OP (and others) are interested in the Tundra upgrade parts.

marthe4runnerguy 01-31-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilvr (Post 3222138)
That's a link to regular 4Runner brake parts, just FYI. The OP (and others) are interested in the Tundra upgrade parts.

True that's my fault , here is the correct link

2001 TOYOTA TUNDRA 4.7L V8 Caliper, Rotor & Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

fishy3G 04-24-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3220787)
I didn't want red calipers, so I bought Cardone Ultra Premium calipers from RockAuto (powder coated in gray), and the Power Stop rotors and Z36 pads, also from RockAuto. I'm happy with the setup so far.

Interesting factoid is that it was significantly cheaper to order Power Stop calipers, rotors, and pads from RockAuto separately than as one complete kit, at least at that time.

How have the cardone calipers held up so far?

4Runner4Leon 04-25-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishy3G (Post 3277640)
How have the cardone calipers held up so far?

The calipers have been just fine so far. Can't say the same about the rotors, they're pulsing again under hard braking just like the original 4runner rotors did, ugh.

JRZEE2000TR4LTD 04-25-2019 07:31 AM

I have the 199 calipers. OEM. Got them used from a forum member a while back. I rebuilt them with OEM seal kits and new OEM pistons. I ran them for a while then one of them started to hang up. Took the suspect one apart and found it to be rusty right on the edge underneath the dust seal. Cleaned it up. Lightly honed the bore edge. Painted the metal right to the edge. Again used new OEM seals. Had the same problem about 6 months later. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who have this problem are in "rusty" environments or are fording a lot of water with their trucks. I just replaced that caliper last month. I forget the brand but it had all the same exact casting marks as my OEM caliper. I would think that most of the calipers out there are OEM castings probably with AM pistons and seals of varying quality. We'll see how these hold up.

19963.4lsr5 04-25-2019 03:22 PM

I must ask.

What is the rotor size and brake pad size difference between the factory 3gen and the smaller 199 braking system?

Also what is the caliper piston diameter of the OEM 3rd gen, the 199 (45mm I think), and the 231mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk