Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Do bull bar/ skid plates provide protection? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/268178-do-bull-bar-skid-plates-provide-protection.html)

Syr4RinNC 01-31-2019 12:49 PM

Do bull bar/ skid plates provide protection?

I'm considering adding a bull bar for the purpose of providing front end protection and a potential light bar mount

I dont want to do an entire off road bumper at this point due to the cost and adding extra springs/ stiffer suspension. I have bilsteins with the front set at 1.85 so im essentially level on a 4th gen

Has anyone found adding a bullbar/ skid plate to be helpful when climbing trails?

Thanks for anyones time or thoughts

pDubs 01-31-2019 03:48 PM

Skid plates add protection. The OEM skid plates are pretty weak and bend pretty easilty, but still can take hits and protect. Aftermarket like RCI definitely add more protection, both aluminum or steel. Steel slides better if you are doing wheeling over rocks, etc and will definitely be a bit more protective over the aluminum. I went aluminum with mine.

Bull bars will add light protection, like swiping against brush, tiny bumps into things but they will absolutely cause more damage than protection in the event of a real accident, deer hit, etc.

Industrialwrench 02-02-2019 10:49 AM

A bull bar is for protecting/mounting lights. I’ve have never seen the need for a bull bar. Skids are bolt on protection for you’re driveline, that allow you to slide across an obstacle. They also protect from impact if you slip off a rock.
Skid plates= off-road
Bull bar= “Maybe” protection from some sticks and reeds.lol.

troopa4life 02-02-2019 02:00 PM

Sorry but no, bull bars do help. There is a reason why people put them on and it’s not so that they can protect their lights. Please see links...

ARB bull bar vs. deer - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

YouTube

4Reak Show 02-05-2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrialwrench (Post 3223632)
A bull bar is for protecting/mounting lights. I’ve have never seen the need for a bull bar. Skids are bolt on protection for you’re driveline, that allow you to slide across an obstacle. They also protect from impact if you slip off a rock.

Skid plates= off-road

Nope.

MAST4R 02-05-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopa4life (Post 3223703)
Sorry but no, bull bars do help. There is a reason why people put them on and it’s not so that they can protect their lights. Please see links...

YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrialwrench (Post 3223632)
Skid plates= off-road

Yes and no at the same time.

Bullbar in Australia=full steel front bumper in the US. They use them due to kangaroos and huge distances.

Bullbar in the US often means the pseudo things some vehicles run for whatever reason. The US equivalent of kangaroos would be deer in the more remote parts of certain states especially if traveling often early and late in the day.

troopa4life 02-05-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAST4R (Post 3225120)
Yes and no at the same time.

Bullbar in Australia=full steel front bumper in the US. They use them due to kangaroos and huge distances.

Bullbar in the US often means the pseudo things some vehicles run for whatever reason. The US equivalent of kangaroos would be deer in the more remote parts of certain states especially if traveling often early and late in the day.

A bull bar is a bull bar, no matter where you are in the world. You can’t say in the US it means something different, you’ll sound like an idiot when you talk to the international boys and probably lose your credibility. What you’re referring to is a grill guard which attaches to your bumper, two completely different things. If that is what the OP was referring to then yes both posters above me are correct, those will absolutely do nothing.

Industrialwrench 02-05-2019 07:49 PM

You guys are using them as cow catchers. 👍