Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Conservative leveling kit (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/268194-conservative-leveling-kit.html)

Big Red 4Runner 01-31-2019 06:15 PM

Conservative leveling kit

Howdy folks. I would appreciate some recommendations for a modest leveling kit, likely a 2/1. I'd like to keep the price modest too - but fully understand that sometimes "you get what you pay for." Thus, I don't necessarily want the cheapest thing out there either. Thanks in advance.

0verland 01-31-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red 4Runner (Post 3222347)
Howdy folks. I would appreciate some recommendations for a modest leveling kit, likely a 2/1. I'd like to keep the price modest too - but fully understand that sometimes "you get what you pay for." Thus, I don't necessarily want the cheapest thing out there either. Thanks in advance.

Why are you wanting to go with a level vs an actual lift?

ElZilcho 01-31-2019 07:26 PM

I recommend the Daystar kit. I've had no issues with mine.

I suspect some others may chime in recommending the Toytec or Cornfed equivalents. I can't argue with them. From what I can tell they are pretty much the same thing. I went Daystar because it was the best price at the time.

Sonnystile 01-31-2019 07:28 PM

Subscribed.

A 2/1 spacer kit should be fine with Xreas suspension, no?

I’m just looking for getting closer to level and fitting 32’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElZilcho 01-31-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnystile (Post 3222413)
A 2/1 spacer kit should be fine with Xreas suspension, no?

To the best of my knowledge, yes; the spacer kits will work with Xreas.

RonJR 01-31-2019 11:32 PM

I have a Daystar kit in mine with XREAS. Works great and didn't affect the ride noticeably. Good for light to moderate offroad, but not for severe.

hinmo24t 02-01-2019 04:03 PM

get the kyb oem replacement kit off amazon. total with assembled fronts is under $300. they lift the front 1" and ride kickass

Big Red 4Runner 02-05-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0verland (Post 3222408)
Why are you wanting to go with a level vs an actual lift?

Good question! My answer is that, in all honesty, I'm not completely sure what I want! I'm still pretty new to the game.

What I want to accomplish is this: I think I want to level the slightly nose-down stance of my truck. I don't know if there's a concrete, practical reason to do this; it just kind of bugs me a little to look at. Having said that, if there is an operational or safety-oriented reason NOT to do that, I would of course like to know that!

The second reason I'm thinking about it is that when I go to replace my current all-season tires with an all-terrain tire, I might want the option of going with something a size (or two at the most) bigger.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks! :hatsoff:

bricew25 02-05-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinmo24t (Post 3223029)
get the kyb oem replacement kit off amazon. total with assembled fronts is under $300. they lift the front 1" and ride kickass

Is there any adjustment to this kit? The previous owner replaced my suspension with a KYB kit, but the front still has the drop.

MikeinNH67 02-05-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red 4Runner (Post 3225611)
Good question! My answer is that, in all honesty, I'm not completely sure what I want! I'm still pretty new to the game.

What I want to accomplish is this: I think I want to level the slightly nose-down stance of my truck. I don't know if there's a concrete, practical reason to do this; it just kind of bugs me a little to look at. Having said that, if there is an operational or safety-oriented reason NOT to do that, I would of course like to know that!

My truck is like yours, the nose needs some lift but I don't know how high I would want to go. I'm thinking of new front springs and the Bilstein adjustable shocks below that give from 0 to 2.5" of height.

Check out the reviews with pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-2...words=Bilstein

catrains 02-05-2019 06:39 PM

on my 2016 runner I used 2 coil spring spacers on the pass side and 1 on the driver side.

coil spring pass side is smaller sized so I used smaller spacer than the driver side driver side coils bigger so bigger spacer..

why did I do this ???? the springs took a set dropped about 1 inch.. also the brake dive ,,, well all is good and I have no problems .. I had to pay $20 for the spacers and I had to cut the spacers so they fit perfect...

after the work I noticed the CV boots looked very good, nice straight,,,,,,,,, no rubbing on the boot sides ..much less brake dive..

suspension did not change much on ride quality very comfortable ..

it is unusual that this post did not get much feed back on your lift ..

hutchison 02-05-2019 10:14 PM

im going to start with 1" front strut top spacers to give 2" of front lift.
that was the difference in front to back from top of wheel to fender arch on my vehicle. I didnt figure frozen camber bolts into the budget, so i have to revisit with parts in hand including control arms to get the spacers fitted.

bbrens 02-05-2019 10:56 PM

I highly recommend Bilstein leveling struts. If your 4Runner has north of 100k miles I would do new springs as well. I have mine set at 1.75 and it sits about perfectly level with the rear, maybe a tad bit of rake to the nose. I did new springs in the rear as well. It drove like new, due to replacing the stock suspension that had 175k miles on it. I thought about going the spacer route but fact was my struts were just shot and needed replaced regardless.

I plan on moving a size up in tire, to 265/70-17. If I ever want to go bigger, the struts will be adjusted to the top setting and a 1.5” spacer added to the rear springs.

JVC8790 02-06-2019 11:27 AM

I just did the same install as Bluesky in this thread, ended up with a 1.75" front 1" rear lift and leveling, allowed me to delete the Xreas as well. I just updated my build thread (in my signature) with a few pictures of my install.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3195449-post2.html

CA-RJ 02-07-2019 01:22 PM

I bought my 4Runner with 136k miles on it and the shocks were toast. Like the OP, I didn't like the nose down and looked at different options for leveling. Not all of us want to lift our vehicles, we just want the level look. I went the Bilstein 5100 route, reusing my stock springs. I replaced all 4 shocks and the truck is nice and level and rides great. I have almost 50k miles on them now and I still think it was the correct decision.