Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear Springs or Spacers for small lift on TRD Pro?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/268522-rear-springs-spacers-small-lift-trd-pro.html)

Bayou_Pro 02-07-2019 07:38 PM

Rear Springs or Spacers for small lift on TRD Pro??

Ordering a set of King Coilovers for my '16 TRD Pro. I'm expecting about an 1.5-2" lift out of it since the Pro is already a little higher in the front. Right now I have about 1.25" rake on rear. After the lift I want to get the rear back up just a little over level so I'm thinking just 1.25-1.5" rear lift will set me about right.

So I'm contemplating either a set of Confed Spacers with factory springs or something like a set of Dobinson 1.25" springs. I don't really need any more load carrying capacity other then just maybe some weekend camping gear every once in a while.

Are there disadvantages to running the spacers vs the slightly taller heavier springs? last thing I want to do is be flexed out on the trail and lose a spring due to a spacer. Would I truly get more articulation out of the taller springs? I'm already dropping $3500 so what's another $200 if I really need to. Thanks for any help.

kso818 02-07-2019 07:56 PM

I feel like if you are spending that kind of money on king's then spend the money and just upgrade the springs instead of running the spacer. I feel like the spacer would just degrade the ride quality.

20164runner 02-07-2019 07:59 PM

Rear Springs or Spacers for small lift on TRD Pro??

Quote:

Originally Posted by kso818 (Post 3227249)
I feel like if you are spending that kind of money on king's then spend the money and just upgrade the springs instead of running the spacer. I feel like the spacer would just degrade the ride quality.

2nd this.
Also I don't think springs give you more wheel articulation your shocks do.

Offwidth 02-07-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20164runner (Post 3227254)
2nd this.
Also I don't think springs give you more wheel articulation your shocks do.

Use Eibach 1" lift springs, something like 5100 shocks or better, and get extra travel (unlike spacer lift).

Bayou_Pro 02-07-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offwidth (Post 3227260)
Use Eibach 1" lift springs, something like 5100 shocks or better, and get extra travel (unlike spacer lift).

I'll be running the matching King 2.5 rear shocks as well. I've looked at the 1" Eibachs as well. May just put the fronts on first and see where the ride height settles out at and then order the correct height springs I need. I guess I can live with the Cali Lean for a few weeks. LOL