Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   I JUST missed Apple Carplay... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/268526-i-just-missed-apple-carplay.html)

eatsleepsendrepeat 02-07-2019 09:05 PM

I JUST missed Apple Carplay...

Just picked up a 2019 4Runner a couple months ago and I'm absolutely loving it! A little lite on the features but this is fine, I get a quality car that will last for hundreds of thousands of miles and performs like a champ.

My only gripe? Bluetooth is clunky with the iPhone... which I could deal with since there was no other option. Then I go and read an article that the 2020 4Runners will have Apple Carplay!? Someone please tell me that it's as simple as a dealer software update or reflash to get this on the '19s... :redbrick:

Jbellah 02-07-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatsleepsendrepeat (Post 3227311)
Just picked up a 2019 4Runner a couple months ago and I'm absolutely loving it! A little lite on the features but this is fine, I get a quality car that will last for hundreds of thousands of miles and performs like a champ.

My only gripe? Bluetooth is clunky with the iPhone... which I could deal with since there was no other option. Then I go and read an article that the 2020 4Runners will have Apple Carplay!? Someone please tell me that it's as simple as a dealer software update or reflash to get this on the '19s... :redbrick:

I just got mine almost two months ago so I know the feeling. Im pretty sure its a complete new head unit but never know. Maybe it can be retro fitted if so.

EdgarTrailEdition 02-07-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

What's wrong with your Bluetooth? Running with Bluetooth with Iphone 7 and havent experienced any issues.

UtahRnr 02-07-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

I have no issues with Bluetooth in my 2017. Don't hold you breath for a software update to give you Carplay.

Fullas 02-07-2019 10:05 PM

I bought mine a week ago, the one feature I wanted was the adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency brakes. Apple Carplay would've been nice!

Guess we'll just have to wait till the 6th gen...

TrDpRo_J 02-07-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Apple plays is great until Apple changes things and the version in the 4R becomes obsolete.. As for safety sense, get a Tesla if you don't want to drive lol

I think the 4R is perfect, the updates that people cry for like most modern tech will have some issue at some point and the 'complained about basic 4R' will remain working as it did from the factory. I personally embrace the simplicity of the 4R, as a long time BMW, Audi, general euros car owner (I grew up in Europe) something that those cars lacked was simplicity and electrical stuff was always the crutch, which is always the same stuff now being rolled out to the once 'basic' cars.

Just a different perspective..

unsub1 02-07-2019 10:24 PM

Haven't had mine too long and love my Kenwood with CarPlay. Glad I didn't wait. I've already had so many adventures.

Lhshockey24 02-07-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

The new screens are going to be the same POS ones in the highlander and current sequoia I believe. Get yourself the alpine halo 9 inch floating unit. You’ll be so glad you did.

SirBarton 02-07-2019 11:42 PM

I have a 2015 and the addition of CarPlay and push button start are the only changes I really desire in my 4Runner. It kills me that it takes until 2020 to get these things in the Toyota truck lineup.

Brockman82 02-07-2019 11:46 PM

Hoping we get some sort of a solution similar to this.

Mazda Will Now Retrofit Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on Older Models

Beach5150 02-08-2019 01:18 AM

Ditto for the Kenwood. CarPlay is especially sweet now that Apple allows Waze and Google maps. I went with the DNX995S for the killer HD screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsub1 (Post 3227370)
Haven't had mine too long and love my Kenwood with CarPlay. Glad I didn't wait. I've already had so many adventures.

unsub1 02-08-2019 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach5150 (Post 3227478)
Ditto for the Kenwood. CarPlay is especially sweet now that Apple allows Waze and Google maps. I went with the DNX995S for the killer HD screen.

Same! It's great. And how did I live without Waze?

MobyT4R 02-08-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

I know the feeling. lol. I know a lot of these systems are plug and play through Toyota. Someone on the Tacoma forum confirmed that the new headunit with Caprlay and AA is a direct swap over and simply requires a jumper cable to make it function. Hopefully it is the same in the 4R.

bigguy02 02-08-2019 10:50 AM

Honestly id rather have the new gauge cluster.

97BlackAckCL 02-08-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigguy02 (Post 3227621)
Honestly id rather have the new gauge cluster.

Same