Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   TRD Off road Rav4 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/268567-trd-off-road-rav4.html)

Thai 02-07-2019 12:49 PM

2020 RAV4 TRD Off-road

Toyota RAV4 Drivers Earn Trail Cred’ Thanks to New TRD Off-Road Treatment | Toyota USA Newsroom

Real AT tires (18”) with snowflake. 8.6” clearance. Retuned off-road suspension (unique springs/shocks). AWD system.

I did visit Toyota recently and the new RAV4 underbody is VERY clean (cleaner than 4runner even!)...and covered by plastic panels everywhere, which is nice...not true skids but at least covered.

TacoRunn0517 02-07-2019 12:59 PM

Happened to see the reveal live and it gives people another option when it comes to TRD badge treatment. If I were a RAV4 fan/buyer, I'd have this trim on my shortlist.

Offwidth 02-08-2019 05:34 PM

TRD Off road Rav4

Seems Toyota went full retard and relegated TRD badge to the same bin with "Trail rated" and "FX4" badge specials.

Whippersnapper02 02-08-2019 05:40 PM

They did it for the hipsters that already try to wheel a RAV4. Elmore Toyota carries beard balm for them.

Argyle Edison 02-08-2019 05:43 PM

Isn't it a suspension upgrade that makes a vehicle a "pro" ?

Offwidth 02-08-2019 05:48 PM

I like RAV4. It is a nice little crossover. Maybe I buy this “Off road” version in metallic grey for my daughter to match my 4Runner.

Offwidth 02-08-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3227948)
They did it for the hipsters that already try to wheel a RAV4. Elmore Toyota carries beard balm for them.

I have successfully “wheeled” first gen RAV4 further than most people take their lofted Raptors.

RonMAIDEN 02-08-2019 05:56 PM

How many TRD Pro trucks actually go off road? At least the RAV4 has a revised suspension and can handle a rough fire road which really is all most people going "off road" do anyway.

It is mostly a marketing ploy but it really works to sell cars and trucks for Toyota.

Whippersnapper02 02-08-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offwidth (Post 3227954)
I have successfully “wheeled” first gen RAV4 further than most people take their lofted Raptors.

Cool?

Orc 02-08-2019 06:12 PM

While I stick to designated "roads" many can become quite rough and impassable mostly to to ground clearance. My FWD winter beater with new tires goes in snow up to the doors and higher with tracks already laid.

Many out and back areas are all gravel but its nothing a 2wd rav 4 cant handle. Honestly the tires are the only factor as awd will just make you think you can when you really can't. A 4x4 truck is on another level but awd is mostly a joke. It will high center in the drifts just like the 2wd but go a few yards further.

Offwidth 02-08-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orc (Post 3227971)
A 4x4 truck is on another level but awd is mostly a joke. It will high center in the drifts just like the 2wd but go a few yards further.

Well implemented AWD can go places. When I press air suspension "up" button on my wife's GLC, with 10" of clearance and its very good traction control it does not get stuck on most fireroads.

Offwidth 02-08-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3227959)
Cool?

Yes.

Orc 02-08-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offwidth (Post 3227973)
Well implemented AWD can go places. When I press air suspension "up" button on my wife's GLC, with 10" of clearance and its very good traction control it does not get stuck on most fireroads.

Fantasy off road themed vehicles are big right now

Toyota could have a hit with this car if it's great on gravel. Good paint protection, tires that dont feel like your surfing on the gravel along with great fuel economy and it could be a hit.

Most people in the position to buy new cars in the country are farmers, men drive trucks and wives drive traverse or GMC/Buick variants or Tahoe and the odd suburban. 38k for a camry hatch is a bit stiff.

Thai 02-08-2019 06:50 PM

2020 RAV4 TRD Off-road

Real AT tires (18”) with snowflake. 8.6” clearance. Retuned off-road suspension (unique springs/shocks). AWD system.

I did visit Toyota recently and the new RAV4 underbody is VERY clean (cleaner than 4runner even!)...and covered by plastic panels everywhere, which is nice...not true skids but at least covered.

sarcoid 02-08-2019 07:36 PM

I had a Rav4 for a little over a year. I've never been more disrespected and ignored on the road by other drivers in my life. That's including riding motorcycles for 25 years in the tri-state area. I have no love for the Rav4.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk