Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Lexus GX470/460 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/)
-   -   Leather Care (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/268794-leather-care.html)

CanuckinTX 02-13-2019 04:01 PM

Leather Care

Hello Guys,

My mom and dad just bought a 2008 gx470 with only 37K miles :thumb3: *I am a teenager

So what do you guys use to clean your leather? We tried a turtle wax but it lightens the leather. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sam

Bossman 02-16-2019 09:23 PM

My preference is for Mequiar's products inside and outside the vehicle - I've used the leather cleaner and conditioner in my current 4Runner, and in my (now gone) 4th Gen 4Runner and Lexus LS400.

Meguiar's(R) Gold Class™ Rich Leather Spray, G10916, 15.2 oz., Spray | Meguiar's

Meguiar's(R) Gold Class™ Leather Conditioner, G18616, 16 oz., Spray | Meguiar's

Thai 02-18-2019 07:36 PM

Nothing for me. If it gets dirty, then a light wet cloth. These leather are so well coated from factory that conditioners won't make much difference other than make the leather greasy.

T4R2014 02-18-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai (Post 3234493)
Nothing for me. If it gets dirty, then a light wet cloth. These leather are so well coated from factory that conditioners won't make much difference other than make the leather greasy.

This. All these cleaners are trash tbh. You're just building up a layer of silicone based dressings by using those. The manual in my 1996 says to use woolite. I dilute it lightly in a spray bottle and wipe with a microfiber time to time.

catrains 02-18-2019 08:05 PM

I use leather cleaner if the leather has dirt on it. have to use leather cleaner not any other chemicals..

many household cleaners are acid so the dye gets damaged.

after the seats are clean and dry you put on the seats a leather conditioner .. let it sit for an hour then use a soft cloth and wipe off excess..

this protects the leather from damage cracking and the dye coating.

I do have leather seats in my 1996 and 2000 vehicles still good condition.. I also use this on my leather house chair and sofa..

tak555 02-28-2019 02:31 PM

i'm considering using baseball glove conditioner... definitely on the steering wheel leather, and maybe on seats too. for my glove, i use nokona conditioner, not sure if it's silicone based....

anyhow, will let you know how that goes

ran 02-28-2019 03:28 PM

I bought some Lexol Leather Deep Conditioner for my old work boots and a used leather jacket. I says it's good for Auto Upholstery, Saddles, Briefcases, Luggage handbags, etc. I never had leather seats before. But I like this product.

Ohcrymore 03-07-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckinTX (Post 3231452)
Hello Guys,

My mom and dad just bought a 2008 gx470 with only 37K miles :thumb3: *I am a teenager

So what do you guys use to clean your leather? We tried a turtle wax but it lightens the leather. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sam

I use Leatherique on my seats. Makes them soft as hell and doesn't make them greasy or smell like sunscreen. Clean the seats using the leatherique cleaner, gently apply the conditioner/rejuvenator and leave it for a few hours. You'll love it. Cost me around $36 on Amazon.

gp55445 03-10-2019 01:42 PM

1:5 ratio of Woolite to water. I use the cheap dollar store stuff and it works great. Learned it from a detailer and he's used it for many years.

JPRSR5 05-21-2019 12:27 PM

We recently bought a gx470 and I bought the lexol cleaner and conditioner combo. So far I like it.

We have the tan interior so it gets stained with jeans quite often. So far I like the Lexol products. I've heard the cleaner can discolor darker interiors so if you have dark interior, make sure you test first.

I have black leather on my 5th gen but have yet to try it.

PVB'Runner 07-09-2019 11:14 AM

Lemon pledge spray

Lemon Pledge spray... really.
It's a mild cleaner and has enough oils in it to keep leather happy, smells great and no "wet" look or overly slippery seats.

Swipter 07-09-2019 04:44 PM

Leathermasters strong cleaner and protection cream for the barrier. They have other barriers now but this works for me. I will probably get their multi barrier next since I am out. It is better against blue Jean dye, I think. I do this a couple of times per year. Once or twice per month i use plain water and diluted woolite once per month to clean. You will be surprised how well woolite works.

I used to use Lexol conditioner but it is not a barrier and causes dyes from pants or whatever to accumulate faster. With leathermasters I can just wipe spills with water to clean. It is an accumulative affect with leathermasters.

I will not use anything else.

markie671 07-12-2019 09:26 AM

Try Chemical guys Leather Care.. I just did mine two weeks ago.. It feels/looks so much better.. Lexol is also another good brand.

markie671 07-12-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckinTX (Post 3231452)
Hello Guys,

Thanks
Sam

Dang good find.. where he get this? And how much did he pay for it?

jbtvt 07-16-2019 09:32 PM

Leatherique!

Or straight neatsfoot oil, but that's easy to overdo if you're not familiar with it. Lexol is OK, slightly better than most others that do nothing at all except make seats slippery. Your seats are coated with (I believe) polyurethane, or maybe varnish, so the only advantage to using something like leatherique, since our seats aren't aniline is that it will penetrate at the sewn seams and keep the leather more supple in this area. I've never torn a leather seat seam that I've applied it to, or had cracking in areas where the poly coating wore off. Fingers crossed. Current cars at 150k+ and up to 21 years old with mint seats, last leather Camry I had that only used the parts store cleaners on, a seat seam let loose at less than 100k and 10 years.