Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   tire pressure recommendation (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/268934-tire-pressure-recommendation.html)

bradze 02-17-2019 12:15 AM

tire pressure recommendation

I bought my 4runner used with LT285/70r17 BFG TA KO2 tires. how much pressure should I be using? 45PSI?

MAST4R 02-17-2019 12:35 AM

I think that for any LT (C,D,E) in 265 70 17 the correct pressure is 44. That's what I was told by Nitto for the Ridge Grappler in C but I am pretty sure that C/D/E is the same for this, just that you can run D higher than C and E higher than D to support higher loads.

Since your tires are bigger, you may be able to run a bit lower psi to support the same load with reserve capacity similar to oem. Tire Pressure Checker: Righting the Pressure in Your New Tires | 4wheelparts.com

<<<< 02-18-2019 08:03 PM

What is your label on driver's door jam recommend? Now, without opening whole can of worms, why is everyone insists on running pressures in Mountain Bicycle (45-50 psi)and some here even in Road Bicycle (50-100 psi) ranges? You stated 285/70/17 tire which is not OEM size but your inflation pressure shouldn't be much if any different from 265/70/17.

MAST4R 02-19-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <<<< (Post 3234518)
What is your label on driver's door jam recommend? Now, without opening whole can of worms, why is everyone insists on running pressures in Mountain Bicycle (45-50 psi)and some here even in Road Bicycle (50-100 psi) ranges? You stated 285/70/17 tire which is not OEM size but your inflation pressure shouldn't be much if any different from 265/70/17.

Except he is running LT tires on a vehicle that came with P metric.

This is a good start:
LT tires need more air pressure.

<<<< 02-19-2019 12:43 PM

Yes "definition "LT," signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on vehicles that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or towing large trailers..." I heard all discussions about those. It is what it is, you want stiff but let you believe more responsive ride get a truck tire inflate it to xx psi and call it a day if that makes you happy. Is to each their own.

jicko 02-22-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAST4R (Post 3234734)
Except he is running LT tires on a vehicle that came with P metric.

This is a good start:
LT tires need more air pressure.

That's one of the best thread to go by, IMHO.

I am on my 2nd set of KO2, I have always been running it at 44 or 45psi. Before concluding to run this pressure, I did a lot of research (including the reference thread above), and I also did a series of drive tests in a period of a couple of weeks varying the pressure from 30 something to like 50 psi. I found that I like 44psi the most.

Decipher 02-28-2019 01:46 PM

OP, this is going to be subjective. The very best thing you can do is chalk test your tires to see what pressure works best for you.

I’m using the exact same tire (C-load) and my tires tested out best at 38 all around. If I’m loading down, then 40 rear. I get good ride compliance, good chalk lines, and they are properly stiff for daily use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnsmullet 03-01-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decipher (Post 3241802)
The very best thing you can do is chalk test your tires to see what pressure works best for you.

I can agree with this.

bradze 03-02-2019 08:16 PM

thanks, im gonna go with 45psi

Decipher 03-03-2019 11:22 AM

Based on what?

Only reason I ask is that some people swear by one pressure while others swear by others. Trust me, I’ve read for hours on this. The consensus at the time I read was 38-40 and guys said they were getting the best results.

Those numbers got me in the ballpark of where to test my chalk lines. Don’t simply decide your pressure based on what other people say. Go out and test for yourself. What works for one doesn’t work for others.

Case and point; For me, at 45 I can visually see that my outer tread blocks were no where near touching pavement. Once I got rolling and pressure increased, it got even worse. That would lead to awful wear if I rode on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradze 03-03-2019 05:26 PM

ok, so 40 then

ninjaboym5 04-28-2019 01:43 AM

I am running 28 cold after changing to 285/70/17. I am always under the impression the bigger volume tire run less air. My daily driver came with 21 inch stock wheels and running 42 cold from the factory.

Dillusion 04-29-2019 05:52 PM

45 here on Nitto Trail Grapplers

rdruss 05-01-2019 06:50 PM

I have an '03 V8 Ltd AWD with Michelin Defender Lt265/65R17 installed for 2-/12 years.
I run them at 37 psi, rotate a different tire to spare every November and May.
They perform very well in northern Illinois weather and are wearing very evenly after 25K miles and on-road service only, mostly low speed city driving.

For what it's worth.

mitchell.marsh 07-04-2019 03:09 PM

Hi all, could you please advice me in a short, what is the best way to check tire pressure of Toyota?