Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   You think the Apple CarPlay Radio will mount into the 5th gen? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/269007-you-think-apple-carplay-radio-will-mount-into-5th-gen.html)

SendInTheCavalry 02-18-2019 07:47 PM

You think the Apple CarPlay Radio will mount into the 5th gen?

It doesn’t seem there are any big dash changes other than the center gauge cluster screen.

What are the chances the Apple CarPlay Radio will swap into the 5th gen?

cheerup38 02-18-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SendInTheCavalry (Post 3234500)
It doesn’t seem there are any big dash changes other than the center gauge cluster screen.

At this point, zero chances.....we’re just gonna have to wait it out and hope it does

Runnyspoon 02-19-2019 04:49 PM

Is it just a software update?

Is Apple CarPlay just new software or will the hardware need to change as well? I'm really hoping that the software can just be updated at the dealership. It's not really something I'd be willing to pay any significant amount for ... as long as I can make/receive phone calls and listen to the music, I'm not sure there's anything else I would really care about. Maybe I'm missing something about CarPlay, does it do something life-changing??

SendInTheCavalry 02-20-2019 06:57 AM

You think the Apple CarPlay Radio will mount into the 5th gen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnyspoon (Post 3235246)
Is Apple CarPlay just new software or will the hardware need to change as well? I'm really hoping that the software can just be updated at the dealership. It's not really something I'd be willing to pay any significant amount for ... as long as I can make/receive phone calls and listen to the music, I'm not sure there's anything else I would really care about. Maybe I'm missing something about CarPlay, does it do something life-changing??

In short, epic life changing. Lol.

I think it’s a all new unit. Claims to be 8” screen.

Apple CarPlay is nice because it emulates your phone right on your radio. All the apps your familiar with using. Music, podcast.

Maps!!! Omg have you used the OEM navigation. Let alone the voice feature. Siri is so much better.

Given the cost of aftermarket equiptment and it’s less than stellar looks. If the next OEM headunit is direct swap I would spend a little extra to have it.

TCLLC 02-20-2019 11:13 AM

if you really want it, you could always do this:

Beat-Sonic IF-02AEP2 iPhone Mirroring Kit

Baystate4Runner 02-21-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SendInTheCavalry (Post 3234500)

The 2020 4Runner is still 5th Gen - so yes it will be available in 5th Gen 4Runners but probably not compatible with 2010-2019 model years.

Most speculations indicate that the 6th generation will be introduced in 2022 as MY2023.

ForRun 02-21-2019 12:49 AM

I thought 2020 brings 8" screen to 4runner. How would it fit?

wcjeep 02-21-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnyspoon (Post 3235246)

Still have not seen any stats on how many people actually use Carplay/ Android Auto. The tech has its cheerleaders. They are vocal just like people that do cross fit. Wait for wireless carplay/Android auto. Or go aftermarket.

sn_85 03-02-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3236374)
Still have not seen any stats on how many people actually use Carplay/ Android Auto. The tech has its cheerleaders. They are vocal just like people that do cross fit. Wait for wireless carplay/Android auto. Or go aftermarket.

I'm not sure what the stats are (nor do I care) but I rode in my friends Civic Type R with Android Auto and it's so much damn better than Entune. Things like Spotify, Google Maps, Phone and Text are all displayed on the screen much better, functional and nicer than they show on the Entune screen. I just seems like more of a app interface than what Toyota uses. Voice recognition was perfect just like you use your phone. I find myself repeating myself multiple times for entune to recognize my voice command and even then it will fail. I either just pick up my phone and do it or quit. I think things like sending voice texts, call commands, and gps commands are very helpful and much safer since it limits driver distraction while driving. I'm all for Android Auto or Apple Car play since Entune is garbage IMO.

drewsro 03-02-2019 11:46 AM

Having come from a 2016 GTI with CarPlay, it is nice to have. You don't have to worry about your phone nor mounting it. Navigation is awesome through it. Loved having it, but it definitely is not a need. I would swap to an aftermarket head unit on my 2012 4Runner to get it, but I have yet to see a single replacement unit/faceplate combo that looks good and isn't super custom/expensive. As of now, it's just easiest mounting my phone near the radio and doing navigation that way.

Thai 03-02-2019 04:26 PM

My guess: 100% it will have it. 2020 Tacoma has it.

jrandom 03-02-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCLLC (Post 3235771)
if you really want it, you could always do this:

Beat-Sonic IF-02AEP2 iPhone Mirroring Kit

Yeah but that is $250 just to mirror the display, it does nothing for touchscreen input or any other connectivity options *ie the steering wheel control set, mic, ect..

Just saying at that price point, the amount of work to install it (you're breaking open your dash and pulling the HU to connect that thing anyway) just replace with a Carplay/android head unit for not much more.

cocojoe53 03-06-2019 12:51 AM

The entire center stack is changed in the 2020. I have seen a photo of it from a dealer.

SwampFox 03-13-2019 10:17 PM

Alpine Halo 9

Has anyone tried the new Alpine head unit? It's a 9" touchscreen and direct swap into the 5th gen. Incorporates Apple/Android tech. Just don't know if the price tag is worth it.

4by4th 03-14-2019 02:13 PM

I have the Alpine iLX-107 in my Wrangler and love it. I just searched Crutchfield and it will fit my 2004 4R and a 2019 4R. I love the wireless CarPlay. Wireless music and phone is more important to me than having CarPlay, so unless Toyota puts wireless CarPlay in the 4R, I would go with the aftermarket Alpine, but I’m also an iPhone fan and it doesn’t work with Android. I have a Bluetooth USA Spec adaptor in my 2004 and wouldn’t be happy if I had to stay connected with a cord to stream music. My phone is often in my pocket for short drives and when I’m getting close to home or my destination and the music continues playing perfectly when I take it out of the wireless charger/ holder or unplug it from the charger cord.