Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Replacing oil filter housing (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/269136-replacing-oil-filter-housing.html)

dcjeeper 02-21-2019 02:31 PM

Replacing oil filter housing

I broke the plastic oil filter housing when doing oil change last weekend. I put it back on without leaking and added new oil in. Now I've ordered the new metal housing and want to replace the broken plastic one. Just wondering do I have to drain all the 6.6 qt oil out to replace it or there is a better way to do it?

IanB 02-21-2019 03:03 PM

You could use an oil extractor to suck oil out the dipstick tube, keep it clean that way, and reuse it. When you open that oil filter housing, the oil is going to come out otherwise.

TOYO74 02-21-2019 03:05 PM

No need to drain all of the oil. You can put a drain pan under the filter and just remove the filter housing. You will lose only the amount of oil in the housing which is messy but is actually very little oil.

Orc 02-21-2019 03:07 PM

Dumbest design ever. I wish this thing had a spin on filter so badly. An oil change on other vehicles I have take 15 mins but this thing...

It's not so much the time it's just unnecessary

Whippersnapper02 02-21-2019 03:11 PM

Replace the housing and check the level. You may need to add 1/4 to 1/2 quart.

I have a Jowett housing coming in today so I can avoid this.

pDubs 02-21-2019 03:21 PM

I would just remove the skid plate, pull the filter housing off completely with the filter tool and have an empty drain pan underneath to catch what comes out, pour everything out of the filter into the drain pan too. Then swap the center stem part and filter over to your new metal housing, swap o rings (since you just put them in it should be fine), and tighten up. Measure what came out by pouring into an old oil quart jug, and add that amount back in. It may waste a quart or less, but not 6.6 quarts of brand new oil.

MyanRagahis 02-21-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYO74 (Post 3236727)
No need to drain all of the oil. You can put a drain pan under the filter and just remove the filter housing. You will lose only the amount of oil in the housing which is messy but is actually very little oil.

Thanks for this tip, I didn't know. I broke mine about two weeks ago as well. Probably put that oil tool on wrong in one spot, or it was just that tight from Toyota, I have no idea. I bought a Dorman housing for $30 at AutoZone. Had a small leak on one spot. Wondered if I should return it and hesitated on draining new oil. I haven't seen any leak since that day so no worries. $15 at RockAuto if you can wait though.

dcjeeper 02-21-2019 04:29 PM

Good to know I can save some fresh oil. Thanks!

Gstick 02-21-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orc (Post 3236730)
Dumbest design ever. I wish this thing had a spin on filter so badly. An oil change on other vehicles I have take 15 mins but this thing...

I used to feel the same way. But after changing to a RCI skidplate, and getting the proper filter housing socket/tool, it only takes a few more minutes than a spin-on. While I'm under the vehicle, I grease the driveshaft U-joints also.

Mutant138 02-21-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3236693)
I broke the plastic oil filter housing when doing oil change last weekend. I put it back on without leaking and added new oil in. Now I've ordered the new metal housing and want to replace the broken plastic one. Just wondering do I have to drain all the 6.6 qt oil out to replace it or there is a better way to do it?

Not really sure if you have to drain everything or not. I cannot remember my first change well as I'm about to hit 10K. That being said I think you can drain the filter alone without draining the entire system.

More to the point while you are in there replace that plastic shit with the metal version from the highlander. Easy swap and you will avoid this going forward. I swapped mine during my first service.

flyrv9 02-21-2019 07:42 PM

If you don't have a leak now, just wait until your next oil change and swap the housings then.

Mutant138 02-21-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyrv9 (Post 3236999)
If you don't have a leak now, just wait until your next oil change and swap the housings then.

That's asking for trouble.

Rapid_Amble 02-21-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

My old e46 3 series had a cartridge filter on top so oil changes were really easy and fast. I think the cartridge filter is better performance and more environmentally friendly, in general, vs the spin on. But the 4Runner design with the cartridge on the bottom makes the process “interesting.”

57buick 02-22-2019 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

thats why I ordered this adapter specifically for the 4runner to convert it to a spin on oil filter. No more issues

Cartridge to Spin-On Adapter

Havik 02-23-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Get yourself a remote oil filter housing. I love mine! Oil changes are a breeze! I don't have to take off any skid plates, super simple oil changes:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...psngawzzm7.jpg