Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Good reminder to bring some survival gear and food when you're out by yourself (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/269610-good-reminder-bring-some-survival-gear-food-when-youre-out-yourself.html)

calnhob 03-04-2019 12:02 AM

Good reminder to bring some survival gear and food when you're out by yourself

2 Attachment(s)
Man lost in snow for five days survived on Taco Bell sauce packets - Story | WTTG

Just cause you have a 3rd gen doesn't mean it can take on anything.

Jeremy Taylor and his dog, Ally, were lost for five days in the snow in Oregon. The only thing he had to eat was Taco Bell sauce packets. He says: "Taco Bell fire sauce saves lives!"

SpoilsofWar 03-04-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calnhob (Post 3244039)
Man lost in snow for five days survived on Taco Bell sauce packets - Story | WTTG

Just cause you have a 3rd gen doesn't mean it can take on anything.

Jeremy Taylor and his dog, Ally, were lost for five days in the snow in Oregon. The only thing he had to eat was Taco Bell sauce packets. He says: "Taco Bell fire sauce saves lives!"

Yep I added a couple this to my truck gear after seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumbo 03-04-2019 01:09 PM

Shitty situation… I do keep mountain house meals and a jet boil in the truck, but not regularly, only when heading out for a trip.

I really should just leave it in the 4Runner, because you never know when you need it.

calnhob 03-04-2019 02:22 PM

I leave a Jet Boil in the truck and always bring food if I'm out on trip..even for a day trip.

Fire starter is also good to have.

RonJR 03-05-2019 06:26 PM

Well, you can't starve to death in 5 days, unless you were most of the way there already. That being said, some extra trail mix and energy/protein bars will beat taco sauce any day.

Water and shelter and/or proper clothing are far more important than food, however.

The survival Rules of Three
You can live
- 3 minutes without air
- 3 hours without shelter
- 3 days without water
- 3 weeks without food

Generalizations, of course, but shows you what to prioritize.

Industrialwrench 03-05-2019 09:09 PM

The guy had 5 days worth of condiments in his truck, probably could have just shaken the floor mats out around the 4Runner and melted all the freaking snow with spilt salt... 🤣 He’s most likely not in the best physical shape, but couldn’t spend any of that time digging eh? Come on now. But to the OP, always bring appropriate emergency supply dependent on the circumstance. Sometimes an extra gallon of water is more than enough, other times I’d recommend the entire 10 essentials from Freedom of the Hills.

dimitrig 03-12-2019 02:25 AM

Next time through the drive through I am definitely asking for extra packets of taco sauce!

moshie 03-13-2019 12:05 AM

After hearing about this and prepping for an upcoming trip, I purchased an Uncharted Supply Co. Seventy2 Survival System! It was definitely an expensive option but it will last for a long time and looks very high quality.

dhbrabo 07-25-2019 12:31 PM

Might have to throw a couple MREs in the truck!

Ripper238 07-26-2019 10:22 AM

I always keep a "Get Home Bag" in my car (now 4R). With all the terrible weather its good to be prepared at all times. I made it my self since a lot of prepackaged kits don't have the quality or some of the fine details.

In my 5.11 backpack:
- Change of hiking cloths
- Hiking boots and extra socks (wool)
- Food MRE and freeze dried
- 1 Gallon of water (multiple bottles one out of mettle for boiling water)
- Tarp & rope
- Thermal blanket
- flashlights, batteries, knives
- Full trauma kit (not just first aid)
- Lighter/matches
- Water purification drops & Sawyer water filter
- Rain coat
- TP
- Compass
- Bug spray sun lotion
- Bolt cutters/Lock Picks (don't ask LOL)
- I'm sure i forgot a few things

All but the water bottles and boots are in/on my 5.11 backpack:

https://i.imgur.com/3f1G1xc.jpg