Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   ANyone remove Roof Rack from a '19 TRD Pro (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/269683-anyone-remove-roof-rack-19-trd-pro.html)

mswaz 03-05-2019 05:00 PM

ANyone remove Roof Rack from a '19 TRD Pro

Looking at removing the roof rack from my 2019 TRD Pro. Don't care for the look. I removed the roof rails from my 2018 Land Cruiser and my previous 2017 4runner Pro, but those used hex bolts and this has Torx bolts. I do have the roof rail delete kit from Toyota for removing those rails and to seal up the holes but not sure if it'll work on this rack.

Anyone remove it yet? I assume its the same holes and location points as the other 4Runners.

97BlackAckCL 03-05-2019 05:15 PM

The bolt holes are the same as the other stock roof racks you should be able to use the delete kit

fx3s 04-21-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswaz (Post 3245289)
Looking at removing the roof rack from my 2019 TRD Pro. Don't care for the look. I removed the roof rails from my 2018 Land Cruiser and my previous 2017 4runner Pro, but those used hex bolts and this has Torx bolts. I do have the roof rail delete kit from Toyota for removing those rails and to seal up the holes but not sure if it'll work on this rack.

Anyone remove it yet? I assume its the same holes and location points as the other 4Runners.

I just removed them...t40 torx and yes all 5th gens are the same. It’s a PITA with the red loctite. tip, don’t break the screws loose w/o the other pair still in and use PB blaster (or equivalent).

There is a bracket that holds the pair of 2 nuts (where the screws go in) tac welded to the underside of the roof that can break off. If this happens you cannot unscrew them since the nut on the underside of the roof with the bracket will spin freely. I ended up having to take the rear headliner down a little to access the nuts and bracket.

Hard to explain but I will post some pics shortly that should help.

fx3s 04-21-2019 05:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fx3s (Post 3275725)
I just removed them...t40 torx and yes all 5th gens are the same. It’s a PITA with the red loctite. tip, don’t break the screws loose w/o the other pair still in and use PB blaster (or equivalent).

There is a bracket that holds the pair of 2 nuts (where the screws go in) tac welded to the underside of the roof that can break off. If this happens you cannot unscrew them since the nut on the underside of the roof with the bracket will spin freely. I ended up having to take the rear headliner down a little to access the nuts and bracket.

The bracket is twisted but I hope this helps

tristero 04-21-2019 11:20 PM

There was a guy on the lexus forum that put 5th gen OEM rails on the GX460. I can't imagine that they'd change the design for the new and improved FJ rack. It's weird that they used torx but the bolt pattern should be the same.

fx3s 04-26-2019 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristero (Post 3275915)
There was a guy on the lexus forum that put 5th gen OEM rails on the GX460. I can't imagine that they'd change the design for the new and improved FJ rack. It's weird that they used torx but the bolt pattern should be the same.

Yep, the torx was weird. I ended up finding the brackets at Toyota $3~ each and switched out the hardware with stainless hex head bolts. M8 1.25 and 50mm length and some 5/16 washers .

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mudballz 04-26-2019 07:06 AM

Bolts

What is the difference or preference in using either bolt I’m about to mount the 19 pro rack on my 18 ofp which should I use
Mike

Paragon1 04-26-2019 07:28 AM

Should be the first mod done, that roof rack is hideous.

Mudballz 04-26-2019 08:23 AM

To each his own bud:focus:

Decipher 04-26-2019 01:01 PM

I’m SURE people will be fighting to buy that thing from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesotamoon 04-26-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decipher (Post 3278710)
I’m SURE people will be fighting to buy that thing from you!

I'd consider buying it. I know it's not popular around here but I like it. If anyone wants to get rid of one PM me.

Mudballz 04-26-2019 02:04 PM

I know how hard it was to get mine Toyota treats it like gold

Decipher 04-27-2019 07:24 AM

It’s definitely not for everyone. I think it looks hideous. It worked beautifully on the FJ. On the Runner...meh...but again, someone will jump all over this. Especially since the dealers are demanding a TRDP VIN to order. Kind of adds more value to those selling. Just saying.

Brick Sprickly 04-30-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx3s (Post 3275725)

Posted this in a similar thread as well but I'm wondering if this is a design exclusive to the 19' Pro only:

Hey I also just removed my 19' rack but had to be super careful not to lose those brackets in the headliner. I've got the delete kit on now but I'm concerned that when I get my Gobi rack the mounting hardware won't fit that bracket or i"ll lose them in the process. Seems when it arrives I might have to remove the headliner entirely to be able to access all 4 brackets.

Is the 19' Pro the only one with that backing bracket style?

tls3601 07-19-2021 02:21 PM

I am pretty sure they all have the clipped in backing bracket above the headliner.