Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Slow rear windows, multiple things acting up (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/269782-slow-rear-windows-multiple-things-acting-up.html)

schmauster 03-07-2019 03:23 PM

Slow rear windows, multiple things acting up

I've had this problem for a while but it's gotten wild lately...

The rear windows have always been slow to roll up since I met my gf who owns said 4runner about 5 years ago.

Lately it's been cutting off the radio with the door unlock and the rear cargo light will come on. Which circuit should I be looking at and any common issues?

It's got about 300k miles on it and runs great.

Other issue I'm working on is figuring out why only 4H doesn't work. It's had a transmission or two replaced in the past.

I know there's a small computer looking thing on the outside of the transmission. Thinking maybe it needs a different one.

I thought 4HI was more of a physical process like shifting gears?

Thanks for reading guys

schmauster 03-07-2019 03:31 PM

2000 SR5... It's red

rightyouareken 03-07-2019 03:55 PM

Windows being slow could easily just be dirty/sticky window tracks. I've had great luck with numerous cars using some silicone spray into the rubber window tracks and working the window up and down a few times.

schmauster 03-11-2019 05:59 PM

Thank you! I didn't know if there was anything I could use to lube those.

The driver's side screeches horrible noises and gets stuck... It works great besides that.

jgue467 03-11-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmauster (Post 3246702)
Other issue I'm working on is figuring out why only 4H doesn't work....

I thought 4HI was more of a physical process like shifting gears?

Thanks for reading guys

It is a physical thing you do on 3rd gens to move the center diff lever to shift between the two (while stopped, in neutral). Luck and enjoy the runner. :cowboy:

3bears 05-10-2021 01:10 PM

so my drivers window and pass rear window are real slow.......plus the auto up does not funtion correct on driver side...., goes up then comes half way back down, so I dont use the auto up part and it works fine.....but the slow speed bugs me the most now that temps are above 40...hit 60 the other day :)

Question:

I guess Ill try to spray silicone in channels as I have read, hope that fixes it...but do wonder/ask
the front windows have had tinting added....I know amonia eats them, .........
but will the silicone hurt the tinting material ?

Bad Luck 05-10-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3635934)
so my drivers window and pass rear window are real slow.......plus the auto up does not funtion correct on driver side...., goes up then comes half way back down, so I dont use the auto up part and it works fine.....but the slow speed bugs me the most now that temps are above 40...hit 60 the other day :)

Question:

I guess Ill try to spray silicone in channels as I have read, hope that fixes it...but do wonder/ask

I haven't had any problems with silicone lubricant reacting with window tint. I've used it with probably a dozen vehicles with tinted windows.

fourfive 05-11-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3635934)

Question:

Check to make sure your window is still aligned in the channel. I've had my front driver side window get slightly off track when the window was down all the way & the door was shut a little too forcefully. I had to take my door panel off to confirm. Realigning everything was pretty straightforward.

I haven't noticed silicone spray harming window tint but would also try to avoid getting it all over the place.