Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Mounting GMRS and CB (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270134-mounting-gmrs-cb.html)

Aznisegi 03-15-2019 12:03 AM

Mounting GMRS and CB

Just curious where everyone is mounting their GMRS and CB Unit. The GMRS unit I'm grabbing is the Midland MTX115 Kit. Any ideas? I don't know where to mount the console, and I hate dash mounting.

The CB I have is a Cobra 75wxst, so it is an all in one unit.

scanny 03-15-2019 02:46 PM

There is a thread about it with pictures: CB Radio suggestions? and it's probably not only one.

Also I think it's a good idea to hang radio to a newly produced banana holder :
Banana Holder NOW AVAILABLE

BobsTrail 03-15-2019 04:36 PM

I mounted my WX75 under the driver's seat and ran an antenna cable extension to the rear. I picked up power from the power seat connector. I put the microphone in the drink holder or under the seat when not needed.

dade73 03-15-2019 07:02 PM

I'm installing both. this is what I have ordered.
C.B. Uniden offroad CMX760
GMRS Midland MXT275

I chose these models because both of these are mic controlled. The head units are very small. I know one person installed them in the center counsel cubby. The glove box is an option as well since you can pop out on or two of the blanks in there to run your cabling. or remove the glove box and drill the holes out of the back.

I am looking into a different location. When my GMRS comes in (CB is already in) and I can do it, I will post pics of my complete install.

LOLSNOW 03-16-2019 11:57 AM

https://i.imgur.com/f9jQEYil.jpg

Here's how I mounted mine. I also have a CB in the glove box but that hardly ever gets used.

dade73 03-28-2019 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted (both CB and GMRS) mine in the center console.

the only thing visible, are 2 rj45 ports.
If you go to my build page, this is how I installed mine.
I went with the Midland MXT275 for a cleaner look.

Dades Bluegirl build

moshie 03-28-2019 09:05 PM

I just bought an Expedition Essentials Mount for the 4Runner. Here is the link! I have been eyeing it for awhile now!

Toyota 4 Runner 5th Gen Powered Accessory Mount – Expedition Essentials

new2toyoandoffroad 01-10-2021 09:32 AM

mounting question

I dont know much about the gmrs system. I was wondering if I have the body of the mxt275 inside the Toyota center console safe and ran an antenna wire out the bottom to the exterior and the mic line to the center console under the radio, would it still function correctly because it was in a metal box. dont really care about the unit being in the safe, just like that it would be out of the way there but still want to have a safe available to lock stuff up.

ATX14 01-10-2021 10:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I mounted my Midland GMRS in the glove box and mic port low on passenger side near center console. I did it the same way as the write up on Midland’s website. I ran the power to my sPOD which is mounted in the engine bay and my antennae is mounted on my Prinsu rack. My antennae mount can be folded down between the crossbars of the rack when not needed.

new2toyoandoffroad 01-10-2021 12:44 PM

Thanks for your input. I just didn't know if the entire unit was inside a metal console if it would prevent it from working. I was thinking not because the antenna is still outside that box. On a side note, was it your vehicle that used to have the sideladder on it. I saw some shots of one just like yours and was considering it.