Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Swapping SR5 stock tires to TRD rims, silly question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270146-swapping-sr5-stock-tires-trd-rims-silly-question.html)

Farby 03-15-2019 09:44 AM

Swapping SR5 stock tires to TRD rims, silly question

My 2018 SR5 stock tires have just under 8k miles on them. I want to purchase the TRD rims as there is a sale right now online where i can get them for $161 a piece plus shipping

The thing is I do not want to spend money on new tires right now. I've heard mixed opinions on swapping tires. I would think since these are relatively new tires it wouldn't be an issue with swapping and i believe the rims are the same exact size, right?

Are there any issues i should be aware of? Is it just a simple swap?

Thanks in advance for your input! happy friday!

tm965 03-15-2019 09:48 AM

i dont think the rims are the same size but you shouldnt have any issues swapping the tires over

Orc 03-15-2019 09:48 AM

Those wheels cause a rub if I remember correctly

Farby 03-15-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tm965 (Post 3251958)
i dont think the rims are the same size but you shouldnt have any issues swapping the tires over

From what i read they are both 17x7,

Farby 03-15-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orc (Post 3251959)
Those wheels cause a rub if I remember correctly

Interesting, first i'm hearing of this. Hopefully others who have made the swap can chime in.

DLH87 03-15-2019 10:27 AM

You can swap the SR5 wheels for the TRD Pro rims keeping the stock tires without any issues. I did the same until it was time for new tires.

The_Green_Wang 03-15-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farby (Post 3251954)
My 2018 SR5 stock tires have just under 8k miles on them. I want to purchase the TRD rims as there is a sale right now online where i can get them for $161 a piece plus shipping

The thing is I do not want to spend money on new tires right now. I've heard mixed opinions on swapping tires. I would think since these are relatively new tires it wouldn't be an issue with swapping and i believe the rims are the same exact size, right?

No it should be just fine! Photo of my stock days [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0984362862.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pDubs 03-15-2019 11:07 AM

TMPS and tires will swap right over no problem. Use OEM lug nuts as well.

Both are 17x7

M22 03-15-2019 11:13 AM

I also did exactly the same, swapped to TRD wheels with stock tires at around 20k until I got closer to needing new tires. The wheel size is the same as stock SR5 wheels, the TRD wheels do have a slightly more aggressive offset but is not an issue with stock tires.

86 Runner 03-15-2019 11:23 AM

I've also been wanting to get TRD wheels. Can you provide a link to the online sale you're talking about?

JAXJeremy 03-15-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farby (Post 3251954)

where did you get that price on the rims?

4runr4eva 03-15-2019 11:28 AM

Not to highjack the thread but, what about an SR5 with a TRD Suspension, with TRD wheels, and 255/75/17 Cooper AT3 4S's. Do you think I'll have to remove the mud flaps, fender liner, and due a TRD Pro Trim? I am about to order new wheels and tires. I am not a fan of the stock Bridgestone Duelers.They are fine on dry pavement but suck with hydroplaning and snow. Offroad wasn't too bad, but I have not been in deep mud nor ultra challenging terrain yet. Also the stock tire hold rocks and gravel like no other tire. It is like being at a shooting range on gravel roads when the tires throw rocks at my Nerf Bars. Ping, ping, ping. I cannot decide whether to go with after market wheel or TRD SEMA wheels. I have an MGM SR5 Premium and think the Gray SEMA wheels will looks slick. Thoughts?

Farby 03-15-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86 Runner (Post 3252020)
I've also been wanting to get TRD wheels. Can you provide a link to the online sale you're talking about?

I went directly through toyota website and to shop accessories.

March Savings on Select Toyota Genuine Parts and Accessories

The wheels have to be purchased through a dealer. Through my local dealer they are 161 a piece but i still have to pay $85 for shipping which i believe is to the dealer for me to pick up. I tried to see if i could avoid shipping charges but they indicated this is not an item they keep in stock.

4runr4eva 03-15-2019 11:43 AM

Toyota OEM TRD Pro SEMA Black 17X8 Aluminum Wheel Set of 4 TACOMAWORLD | eBay

This is a good deal. Even sweeter with the 15% off coupon. Free Shipping and comes from a dealer as well.

Farby 03-15-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runr4eva (Post 3252040)
Toyota OEM TRD Pro SEMA Black 17X8 Aluminum Wheel Set of 4 TACOMAWORLD | eBay

This is a good deal. Even sweeter with the 15% off coupon. Free Shipping and comes from a dealer as well.

Agreed, however those are a different black from the ones i want, not matte.