Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   All Other Vehicles (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/all-other-vehicles/)
-   -   I found my old Fox Mustang after 11 years and bought it back (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/all-other-vehicles/270320-i-found-my-old-fox-mustang-after-11-years-bought-back.html)

the walrus 03-19-2019 09:37 AM

I found my old Fox Mustang after 11 years and bought it back

I sold my 92 5.0 11 years ago and recently found it again. It is in rough shape but we'll get it fixed up. Restoration of sorts is in progress. :usa2:

Here is part one:
YouTube

Justin

JAXJeremy 03-19-2019 09:48 AM

Those are cool old cars..my brother had an '89 notchback ex FHP car that he built a motor for back in the early '90's. I need another project like a need a hole in the head but if I were to start a new one that would top my list.

let's see some pics.

the walrus 03-19-2019 10:01 AM

Yeah they are cool and a ton of fun. I have the car gutted at this point, getting ready to start body work.

This is a pic of when I owned it back in the day.

https://cafords.com/album/00006010/5.0_pic.PNG

And after some work once I got it back to my house:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/member...n-rims-5-0.jpg

I am documenting the build on YT. I have posted 8 videos so far if anyone is interested in seeing progress.

Justin

JAXJeremy 03-19-2019 10:10 AM

clean car...she's got potential. assuming you're building a roller motor?

just watched the youtube..Best part is when you talk about the burn out in the church park lot..that's classic.

the walrus 03-19-2019 10:30 AM

Stock roller/hydraulic lifter set up. I have two motors right now. My car is so jacked from the PO that I had to buy a donor car to get solid wiring and a bunch of other parts that were missing. So one motor I have is stock, the other has GT40P heads, E303 cam, Typhoon intake and some other bits. I need to decide the final combination of parts that I will use. I have dreams of going single turbo eventually so that may play into it as well.

On my videos, part 2 shows how bad the car is lol. Part 3 gives some revs. At least it runs and sounds good. Everything will get re-done though.

And yes, burn out in the church parking lot FTW. :zoom:

Justin

JAXJeremy 03-19-2019 10:59 AM

yeah the E303 is pretty popular. There's so much info on the interwebs of guys doing builds it's hard to know even where to begin..but that's the best part about the fox body the aftermarket is huge..

turbos are cool, I'm more of an SC guy myself..also I'd ditch that typhoon stuff and go to Edlebrock..much better product but I'm sure you know that..look forward to seeing your build.

ToyotaBoogie 03-20-2019 04:41 PM

Great videos, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished.

the walrus 03-21-2019 10:54 AM

Thanks, it is a project but a worthy one and should turn out nice hopefully. :becky:

Ed_C 03-22-2019 11:40 AM

Nice! I used to work for a speed shop that wasn't too far from Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ (both the track and speed shop are now closed). Back then we had a lot of fox body 'stang customers and I had the part numbers for all the most popular parts memorized.

the walrus 03-22-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_C (Post 3256539)
Nice! I used to work for a speed shop that wasn't too far from Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ (both the track and speed shop are now closed). Back then we had a lot of fox body 'stang customers and I had the part numbers for all the most popular parts memorized.

That's awesome. I used to drag race this one occasionally at Sacramento Raceway back in the day when I was living in Cali. It seems like Fox Mustangs are seeing a resurgence lately which is cool.

Ed_C 03-22-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the walrus (Post 3256566)
That's awesome. I used to drag race this one occasionally at Sacramento Raceway back in the day when I was living in Cali. It seems like Fox Mustangs are seeing a resurgence lately which is cool.

They're affordable to purchase and work on. Parts are proven to work and were/are still plentiful/reasonably priced. IMO it was a better platform than the 3rd-gen Camaro it competed with...and I was more a GM guy back then LOL

JayRolla 04-20-2019 05:56 PM

Some of my best experiences was beating up on supercharged foxbodys with my AWD 4 banger. Once they learned they would only want to 60 roll race. Haha.

Anyways nice car. Wanted to always build one since my dad bought his 79 Cobra.

the walrus 04-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayRolla (Post 3275360)
Some of my best experiences was beating up on supercharged foxbodys with my AWD 4 banger. Once they learned they would only want to 60 roll race. Haha.

Anyways nice car. Wanted to always build one since my dad bought his 79 Cobra.

That's awesome. Gotta love power AND traction. I've seen my share of taillights while spinning the rear tires lol.

Have owned a couple of lightly modded Subarus. They do a lot better in the snow as well. :lookout:

the walrus 04-23-2019 12:19 AM

Stripping paint off the fender, partial timelapse:

YouTube

JayRolla 05-07-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the walrus (Post 3276011)
That's awesome. Gotta love power AND traction. I've seen my share of taillights while spinning the rear tires lol.

Have owned a couple of lightly modded Subarus. They do a lot better in the snow as well. :lookout:

Yea my 1st gen CTS-V with its weak rear end wont let me launch it. Roll launch only. Lol. Sucks ass in snow.