Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform + Ladder Options (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270514-rhino-rack-pioneer-platform-ladder-options.html)

JKRunner 03-23-2019 10:05 AM

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform + Ladder Options

I recently installed a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (76x49) on my 2018 SR5P and would now like to purchase a ladder. I have heard that the Gobi Ladder will hit when you open the hatch and would like to see if this is true. Also want to know if anyone has used any other ladders that have fit and there was no rubbing.

Baja Rack
C4
Greenlane
Etc..

Thanks in advance.

DanHampton 03-23-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKRunner (Post 3257112)
I recently installed a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (76x49) on my 2018 SR5P and would now like to purchase a ladder. I have heard that the Gobi Ladder will hit when you open the hatch and would like to see if this is true. Also want to know if anyone has used any other ladders that have fit and there was no rubbing.

Baja Rack
C4
Greenlane
Etc..

Thanks in advance.

It will rub. It actually won't let the tailgate open all the way. I fixed this by installing the rack as far forward as the GPS antenna allows. And used a few plastic shims to raise the back edge of the rack allowing the top of the ladder to pass under the edge of the rack. It still does touch but allows the tailgate to fully open.

mlnhtrang 03-23-2019 11:40 AM

i have a rhino rack with gobi ladder. installed properly and it shouldnt rub at all. the edge of my rack is right before the letter 4 emblem.

SnowYeti 03-23-2019 01:42 PM

Really curious as well with a C4 and the Rhino Pioneer Backbone pushed as far forward as possible. Thought I could install the ladder first then position and drill the rack, but I didn’t think about the shark fin. Ug!

JKRunner 03-23-2019 03:03 PM

My problem is that I do,not want to purchase a ladder and then have to go through the hassle if it doesn’t fit.

Anyone have the Rhino Rack Ladder or does anyone have a retractable option?

JKRunner 04-17-2019 03:50 PM

Has anyone used the Rhino Rack Retractable Ladder and if so any opinions?

borfoo3 04-18-2019 07:16 AM

Another option is the side ladder Rhino Rack offers. It's not a permanent mount, so you'll have to keep it somewhere

Cubular 05-16-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowYeti (Post 3257214)
Really curious as well with a C4 and the Rhino Pioneer Backbone pushed as far forward as possible. Thought I could install the ladder first then position and drill the rack, but I didn’t think about the shark fin. Ug!

Hey, found this thread from Google and I notice at the bottom of your comment that you have both the Rhino Rack backbone and the C4 ladder listed on you 4runner, and wanted to ask if you had any update for compatibility? I am super interested in the Rhino Rack Backbone system, and I love the look of the C4 ladder, so I wanted to ask if you have both on your 4runner and how they fit together.

SnowYeti 05-17-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubular (Post 3490170)
Hey, found this thread from Google and I notice at the bottom of your comment that you have both the Rhino Rack backbone and the C4 ladder listed on you 4runner, and wanted to ask if you had any update for compatibility? I am super interested in the Rhino Rack Backbone system, and I love the look of the C4 ladder, so I wanted to ask if you have both on your 4runner and how they fit together.

I do have both for now and they work fine together. When you assemble the Rhino you have to drill holes for the underside crossbars bars which allows you to adjust the rack, I have mine about 1/4 inch from the shark fin antenna. Let me know if you want a photo.

I am replacing and selling my Rhino due to compatibility issues with my RTT. I do love the functionality and form factor of the Rhino though. I did design a custom fairing which really helped, do not buy theirs, I did and it was terrible.

noderman 05-17-2020 11:05 AM

Snowyeti, do you have any pics of your rack and ladder installed and your custom fairing. I find the wind noise quite loud.

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ragin_cajun 05-17-2020 11:45 AM

Greenlane fits perfectly. Plenty of clearance with the hatch fully open. It only sits off the top of the hatch 1 5/8" at the highest point.

Cubular 05-17-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowYeti (Post 3490265)
I do have both for now and they work fine together. When you assemble the Rhino you have to drill holes for the underside crossbars bars which allows you to adjust the rack, I have mine about 1/4 inch from the shark fin antenna. Let me know if you want a photo.

I am replacing and selling my Rhino due to compatibility issues with my RTT. I do love the functionality and form factor of the Rhino though. I did design a custom fairing which really helped, do not buy theirs, I did and it was terrible.

If you have a photo that'd be great! Yeah and if its okay one more quick question, I also noticed you have the 84" pioneer, did you have any problems with the front 6-8 inches that seem to overhang over the backbone rails in pics that I'm seeing? I'm between the 76 and 84 inch ones. And yeah, I don't really ever plan to have a RTT so I'm loving the way the pioneer seems to work from everything I read.

gbmspe 05-18-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowYeti (Post 3490265)
I am replacing and selling my Rhino due to compatibility issues with my RTT. I do love the functionality and form factor of the Rhino though.

Can you talk a bit more about this? Which RTT and what were the issues? Considering this rack but plan on RTT usage. Thanks!

Elite130 05-18-2020 04:29 PM

I'd like to see some pictures of a hatch ladder as well. I have an order in for a Rhino Rack with the Backbone and 84"x49" tray. I am leaning towards the RR side ladder because it can handle slightly more weight and I can access from both sides. But my decision can be swayed...

SnowYeti 05-18-2020 07:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Bellow are some photos

1. You can see the ladder has about 1/2 inch, with the rack giving the shark fin about 1/2 inch as well.

2. Fairing is laser cut aluminum with rubber molding on the bottom. The brackets are reused from the crappy Rhino fairing. You could easily have some alum ones water-jet cut. It went from no way am I driving at speed with the sunroof open to cruising at highway speeds with it open. Added bonus was 2+ mpg highway!

3. Third front foot, yeah it needs them. Water-jet cut alum. with rubber bumper that thread in for adjustment from McMaster Carr. In the gutter. I found there was a lot of bounce which sucked with the fairing and my fly rod carrier.

4. RTT. I bought a X-Cover. iKampers use a wedge design that you can’t rotate 90 degrees.