Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What's the Best Oil Filter? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270587-whats-best-oil-filter.html)

DougR 03-25-2019 01:05 AM

What's the Best Oil Filter?

A thread on Fram cabin air filters brought up the subject of oil filters. If you have a vehicle with a spin on oil filter, I think you'll find the following information useful.

It's well known that Fram oil filters had quality control issues for an unknown length of time after production was shifted off shore. In 2011, Fram admitted the issue and granted a Jeep forum administrator access to their research and development facility. It's a very interesting read ... Eating crow, Fram oil filters, and my visit to Fram's R&D facility in Dayton Ohio - JeepForum.com

A GMC truck forum performed the best oil filter brand quality study I was able to find. The various Fram models range from much worse to much better than average. Read the report to see how other filters rated. Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

The GMC study includes an evaluation of air filters.

wcjeep 03-25-2019 01:14 AM

Oil filter needs to "Meet or Exceed OEM specification ". Does Fram or other "high quality " filters meet or exceed oem spec? Fram had problems well before 2011. If I'm doing an oil change I purchase Napa filters which are Wix. Wix meets or exceeds oem spec.

Why save $2 on a suspect filter? Spend the money and do it right the first time.

Bayou_Pro 03-25-2019 01:56 AM

I only use Toyota filter in mine. Napa Gold and Wix are also good filters.

Whippersnapper02 03-25-2019 02:12 AM

I bought a 10 pk of Toyota filters. The best is a new one at the proper interval. I wouldn't run Fram though.

97BlackAckCL 03-25-2019 10:01 AM

I've never had an issue with Fram filters, I've used their fuel filters, their oil filters and their cabin air filters for decades. Plenty of companies have had quality control issues after moving their production offshore, Optima comes to mind. I am glad to see that Jeep which shows that Fram acknowledged they had an issue and corrected it. Quoting a single YouTube video as evidence is laughable to me

thetastelingers 03-25-2019 11:09 AM

Been using WIX in all my vehicles for over 25 years.

mgbringo 03-25-2019 11:30 AM

NAPA/Wix is all I will use. I would NOT consider using Fram.

MossJenks 03-25-2019 11:39 AM

The thing to keep in mind is that the only part you replace in a 5th gen is the paper element itself. If you see quality-control issues with filters concerning their bypass valves, etc. are completely irrelevant - that stuff (or at least equivalents) is built into the housing and not part of the replacement filter.

The "study" that didn't like Fram filters is over 20 years old by now.

I use Purolator personally.

QwikKotaTx 03-25-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgbringo (Post 3258290)
NAPA/Wix is all I will use. I would NOT consider using Fram.

Fram has come a long way especially with their Ultra synthetic filters. There are goobers on the BITOG forum who are using them for THREE oil changes! I run them on my Ram but only for 8500 miles or so. I don't think they make an element style filter for the 4Runner.

Aside from the expensive TRD filter, who makes a good element style filter that has a rubber seal? I don't like how the basic Toyota filter does not seal to the filter housing base.

Rustytaco 03-25-2019 05:22 PM

You can never go wrong with OEM!

rdruss 03-25-2019 06:14 PM

Toyota filters are quality and cost diff between them and Fram is zip, why chance it?

Gyprat 03-26-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTx (Post 3258558)
Fram has come a long way especially with their Ultra synthetic filters. There are goobers on the BITOG forum who are using them for THREE oil changes! I run them on my Ram but only for 8500 miles or so. I don't think they make an element style filter for the 4Runner.

Aside from the expensive TRD filter, who makes a good element style filter that has a rubber seal? I don't like how the basic Toyota filter does not seal to the filter housing base.

Amsoil filters have quality seals on their filters. The filter elements are also more efficient than OEM. Their Signature 0W-20 oil is amazingly good. I also put Amsoil premium 100% synthetic fluid into my 2016 transmission and installed a heavy duty cooler. Factory filled trans oil was brownish at 25k miles. No towing or hard usage.

https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/produ...px/EA15K49.jpg

Amsoil filter part # EA15K49. $20.50 each with Preferred Customer discount.

BTW, Premium Mobil1 oil filters have no seals but hard plastic edge that won't seal well. I learned the hard way.

QwikKotaTx 03-26-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyprat (Post 3258966)
Amsoil filters have quality seals on their filters. The filter elements are also more efficient than OEM. Their Signature 0W-20 oil is amazingly good. I also put Amsoil premium 100% synthetic fluid into my 2016 transmission and installed a heavy duty cooler. Factory filled trans oil was brownish at 25k miles. No towing or hard usage.

https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/produ...px/EA15K49.jpg

Amsoil filter part # EA15K49. $20.50 each with Preferred Customer discount.

BTW, Premium Mobil1 oil filters have no seals but hard plastic edge that won't seal well. I learned the hard way.

I used to be an Amsoil dealer (stopped after not being able to convince enough people to switch from Mobil 1) but didn't know they sold an oil filter with seals for the 1GR-FE. That is a bit much for an oil filter though. I can get OEM filters for $5 but would be willing to spend $10 for a better seal. Not sure I could jump to $20 though. Oil still looks pretty decent when I change it at 8500 miles.

What problems did you have, engine failure or just noticed crud in the system?

Jbellah 03-26-2019 09:48 AM

I use the OEM filter and amsoil. I will change my oil every other time

TOYO74 03-26-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbellah (Post 3259065)
I use the OEM filter and amsoil. I will change my oil every other time

Interesting.

Do you mean you change the filter but not your oil at a certain interval, then the next time change both oil and filter? What mileage intervals do you use?