Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Maintenance/Detailing (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/)
-   -   Manual said change transmission fluid only need in certain conditions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/270782-manual-said-change-transmission-fluid-only-need-certain-conditions.html)

Fareastplaza 03-28-2019 06:11 PM

Manual said change transmission fluid only need in certain conditions

My 2010 (5thGen) T4R manual said:

Replace automatic transmission fluid every 60k miles only if you drive primarily under the conditions indicated below:
- Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading

Does it mean if I drive it only for family around mainly doesn't need to do transmission fluid flush/change at all? I don't believe this.

I currently have 150k km (Around 100k Miles). Can I still do flush? or I better ends up drain only. Or I can follow manual and do nothing?

There are so many different opinions out there, very confusion.

Thanks

Seymore Butts 03-31-2019 07:30 PM

Yes, do a complete fluid exchange using Toyota brand WS fluid.

Fareastplaza 04-01-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymore Butts (Post 3262721)
Yes, do a complete fluid exchange using Toyota brand WS fluid.

Hi, Seymore. Thanks for your reply. Do you mean a complete flush? One dealer recommended a full flush ($360 and not drop pan, no filter clean/change) and he said it won’t cause any issue. But another dealer recommend me to do a drain/fill first to begin with. An flush can be done later and they charge $260 only.

Looks like it is totally personal decision after all :-)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 4Runner SR5 04-01-2019 06:25 PM

I'll be servicing my transmission and transfer case every 50K I change my diff fluid every 25K and engine oil every 5K Maintenance is key and your fluids can never be too fresh. Cheap peace of mind if you ask me.

Seymore Butts 04-02-2019 03:31 PM

Complete exchange using either the flush method the dealer recommended or the exchange using transmission cooler lines. Ask the dealer if they use Toyota WS fluid.. Most dealers around here use a "compatible" non-Toyota fluid, which is not the perfect specification for your transmission.

Drain and fill is inappropriate because it leaves most of your old fluid in the transmission.

J.F. Sebastian 04-07-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3263347)
I'll be servicing my transmission and transfer case every 50K I change my diff fluid every 25K and engine oil every 5K Maintenance is key and your fluids can never be too fresh. Cheap peace of mind if you ask me.

After finally coming to the unsettling conclusion that I can't let a Toyota dealership "service" my car, have found a highly reputable, independant shop that specializes in Toyotas (Toyota Master Tech-owned with another on staff) in my general area (45 minute drive away). They have recommended essentially the same thing if one cares about their investment. Peace of mind is worth the cost to me. Being old, half crippled and an apartment dweller, having a competent, honest mechanic to work on my vehicle is actually cheap if I can buy that with money.

Lawrence_Liang 04-11-2019 04:43 AM

This is the 4th year I own my 4R... and I will be doing my 4th drain and fill next OC...

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

bjax4x4 06-06-2019 11:24 AM

I have never had a transmission flush. You all are about to convince me to do it.

Bossman 06-06-2019 02:02 PM

According to a 5th Gen 4Runner Scheduled Maintenance Guide, the transmission fluid should be first inspected at 30,000 miles, then again at 60,000 miles.

If you use your 4Runner for towing, under the Special Operating Conditions it is recommended to replace the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles.

Next inspection of the transmission fluid is at 90,000 miles, then again at 120,000 miles. Transmission fluid replacement (under SOC) is recommended at 120,000 miles.

Here is a link to a video explaining when you should change your transmission fluid, answering whether or not changing your transmission fluid could damage your transmission, and whether or not to change or flush the transmission fluid.

YouTube

And this link to a video outlining the steps to actually change (not flush) the transmission fluid.

YouTube

JohnathanSullivan 02-05-2020 05:42 PM

My 06 silverado has started to nickel and dime to hell every time i turn the key. Ever since my cousin who is a mechanic at a dealership said the 4runners are tanks i have started to fall in love. He mentioned if taken care of properly they run forever. So i found this forum and have some questions. I live in PA so its winter for what seems like 6 months out of the year haha. How are they in the snow? I see some are AWD and some 4WD. What do yall prefer? I have tons of questions but ill just keep it small. Come on people put me over the edge and talk me into pulling the trigger hahahttps://19216811.cam https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl

Bumbo 02-06-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnathanSullivan (Post 3437079)
My 06 silverado has started to nickel and dime to hell every time i turn the key. Ever since my cousin who is a mechanic at a dealership said the 4runners are tanks i have started to fall in love. He mentioned if taken care of properly they run forever. So i found this forum and have some questions. I live in PA so its winter for what seems like 6 months out of the year haha. How are they in the snow? I see some are AWD and some 4WD. What do yall prefer? I have tons of questions but ill just keep it small. Come on people put me over the edge and talk me into pulling the trigger haha

This comment is only applicable to the current 5 gen models excluding 2WD variants. All 4Runner are 4WD, but not all are AWD. The Limited is the only one that can do both. If snow performance if important to you, then the Limited is ideal.

By the way... I also own a 2004 Silverado Z71, its a great truck, but the 4Runner is certainly built better. I still keep it around because when you need a truck, you need a truck.

Bumbo 02-06-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3263347)

I agree… I all fluids eventually degrade over time.

They may say its good for the life of the transmission, but in the manufactures eyes, what exactly does that mean? Till the warranty expires?

Bluesky 07 02-07-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjax4x4 (Post 3301246)
I have never had a transmission flush. You all are about to convince me to do it.

You absolutely should since “lifetime” fluid is a myth, but at 220K, you don’t want a flush, you want a full-fluid exchange. The difference is that a flush uses pressure while an exchange is just that - old fluid out and new in. There are several 4th Gen write ups on how to do it.

Snypr18 02-14-2020 06:43 PM

I have heard that it is better to just change the fluid rather than do a flush if the fluid has not been changed regularly; reason being that a pressurized flush can dislodge debris inside the transmission, which will start causing problems down the line.

lixamturtle 02-14-2020 07:46 PM

i dont think it would hurt!