Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Headlight and Fog Light Upgrade Suggestions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270818-headlight-fog-light-upgrade-suggestions.html)

hrantvarozian 03-29-2019 03:42 PM

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrade Suggestions

We often drive from LA to Kern River on Friday night so upgrading my headlights will make a drastic difference on visibility during the drive.

I want to focus on making the high-beams and the fog lights really bright. I wouldn't mind upgrading the headlights but I don't want to put anything in that will blind normal car drivers when my headlights are in their rear-view mirrors.

I was contemplating putting in a light bar but I just won't use it enough. I have a 3 year old so any off-roading I do is during the day.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Bayou_Pro 03-29-2019 03:58 PM

I run the Morimoto H11 Low Beams and they are so much better than my stock halogens and even better the cheaper Hikari LED Amazon bulb I had in there. I don't get flashed at all with them either. I disabled my DRLs and run the Morimoto high beams and the Morimoto complete xB Fog Light assemblies. Unbelievable difference!!! They are pricier than the Amazon stuff but better quality and warranty. I got mine from Automotive Lighting & Accessories: HID Kits | LEDs | Audio/Video. Great prices and awesome customer service!!

davem 03-29-2019 04:25 PM

Running the Morimoto 2.0 H11 low beams and Xenon Depot 9005 Xtreme LED Pro high beams. WORLD of difference and have never been flashed. make sure to adjust your headlights after install.

Moose568 03-29-2019 04:31 PM

I’m running XenonDepot led’s and could be happier. I can’t believe how bad the stock bulbs are. I just ordered my high beams today from them too.

ToyoTex 03-29-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem (Post 3261665)
Running the Morimoto 2.0 H11 low beams and Xenon Depot 9005 Xtreme LED Pro high beams. WORLD of difference and have never been flashed. make sure to adjust your headlights after install.

I just purchased this combination today. Seemed like a great way to keep the DRLs without blinding people during DAYTIME, like some of the HID ugprades do!

mrblah 03-29-2019 06:13 PM

running HID's for low beams
2 IN 1 LEDS for fogs
switch back LED's for corners
PIAA hyper yellow halogens for Hi beams

I'm very happy with this combo.

TwistedJake 03-29-2019 06:16 PM

Xenon Depot HID in my low beam projectors.

Xenon Depot Xtreme LED setup in my high beams.

Baja Design Fogs.

I live in the country with plenty of dark 2 lane roads and have a tinted windshield. I'd do the exact same lighting upgrades again if I had to start over.

Saker 03-29-2019 06:17 PM

I run Morimotos in the Lows, Sabre LED's in the Highs and Morimoto XB Fogs...

Here is the link that will help you make your decisions..... LOTS of INFO!

Consolidated Lighting Info Thread - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Texas_Ranger 03-29-2019 06:41 PM

Morimoto 2.0 H11 low beams and these for fog lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The colors match perfect and fog lights are super bright.

mrblah 03-29-2019 06:46 PM

general consensus is:

No matter if you go HID or LED, if you stick to a good company w/ proven products, you should see an improvement over stock OEM halogens.

transistor 03-29-2019 09:34 PM

I have the XD LED low beams and I'm not impressed at all. XD LED high beams are great though.

hrantvarozian 04-05-2019 06:29 PM

I ended up going with Morimoto bulbs from The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades

For the headlight I was told HIDs illuminate better in the projector housing so I got the H11B: Morimoto Elite (HID); 50W; 5500k

For the high beams and fog lights I was told the LEDs are better in the reflector housing so I got the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0.

The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades has a really good website with a ton of information and videos. I recommend doing your research there and then calling them up to discuss your order and questions.

Now I got the installation to do once they arrive. =)

ayeyothisiskyle 04-05-2019 06:39 PM

Can I ask why 50W instead of 35W for your low beams? 35W are more than enough and are heaps better than stock

Good thing you went with 5000K, theyre the brightest.

ScarfaceT4R 04-05-2019 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 5500k HID's in my lows & 3000k LED's in my fogs - both branded by DDM Tuning out of Huntington Beach (they have an actual store you can go in and work with in person which is awesome). Never one issue after being installed almost 2 years...I get flashed all the time - but no one ever shines their brights at me.

giggity

ScarfaceT4R 04-05-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrantvarozian (Post 3266574)
I ended up going with Morimoto bulbs from The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades

For the headlight I was told HIDs illuminate better in the projector housing so I got the H11B: Morimoto Elite (HID); 50W; 5500k

For the high beams and fog lights I was told the LEDs are better in the reflector housing so I got the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0.

The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades has a really good website with a ton of information and videos. I recommend doing your research there and then calling them up to discuss your order and questions.

Now I got the installation to do once they arrive. =)

Let us know if those LED highs flicker at all when running DRL mode :pop2: