Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Best Bike Hitch Rack? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/270988-best-bike-hitch-rack.html)

Signess 04-02-2019 11:34 AM

Best Bike Hitch Rack?

Looking for opinions on bike hitch racks. Only need two bikes to fit, and I don't want to be concerned about the front wheel of the closest bike rubbing the back of the runner. Top mount racks are out of the question, as we park in low clearance garages pretty frequently. Thanks!

brtnstrns 04-02-2019 11:36 AM

2″ Heavy Duty Double – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

That will most likely be "the best"

Planning to get one sometime this year myself. Super low weight and easy to carry and tucks in nicely to the vehicle body, better than any other rack on the market.

Signess 04-02-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 3263771)
2″ Heavy Duty Double – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

That will most likely be "the best"

Planning to get one sometime this year myself. Super low weight and easy to carry and tucks in nicely to the vehicle body, better than any other rack on the market.

Nice! Not sure how I feel about the bikes being restrained at only the tires...Is this a good system? seems like it would be very unstable.

Nvmd...I now see that they fold up over the top of both tires...

El Dusty 04-02-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signess (Post 3263768)
Looking for opinions on bike hitch racks. Only need two bikes to fit, and I don't want to be concerned about the front wheel of the closest bike rubbing the back of the runner. Top mount racks are out of the question, as we park in low clearance garages pretty frequently. Thanks!

Thule T2 is what I use and highly recommend. The optional extension lets you mount two additional bikes. You can lock the front fork arm and there is a cable lock you can run through the frame for anti-theft.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Classic...gateway&sr=8-2

I also see a lot of Kuats with the trail doc. Allows you to easily work on your bike while on the rack. Kind of jealous of these but they are $600+

natehack5 04-02-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signess (Post 3263777)
Nice! Not sure how I feel about the bikes being restrained at only the tires...Is this a good system? seems like it would be very unstable.

Nvmd...I now see that they fold up over the top of both tires...

Thats how many hitch type racks work. Kuat, Thule, Yakima are other brands you should check out.

We love our Kuat; sturdily built, option for 2 bike add on for 4 total bikes, has tire tray provisions for your fatties. Never have dropped a bike yet!

pDubs 04-02-2019 11:54 AM

1up rack > any other rack ever.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4836/...00a9bf2d_h.jpg

TrkyMfns 04-02-2019 11:59 AM

Kuat NV is what I have and it's been great. Lifetime warranty, excellent customer service, etc. The Kuat also has a built-in bike repair stand, which makes for some nice repairs/adjustments right at your vehicle. It is bulky, and if you're only carrying one bike most of the time, the 1Up is modular.

Grug556 04-02-2019 12:05 PM

Get a Thule. I have the 2 bike model. ITs rock solid.

Time2Ride 04-02-2019 12:11 PM

Agreed, the Thule Apex XT 2 Bike Hitch Rack bike is a solid choice.

Liquidmantis 04-02-2019 12:15 PM

1Up rack is amazing, and is a clear winner in local Colorado groups when this question comes up. Its all metal construction is heirloom build quality. ;-)

It also has as-good-as-it-gets departure angle clearance.

As far as being held by the tires, that's what you want. It supports any frame shape and doesn't have any frame contact to cause wear.

KingTaco 04-02-2019 12:17 PM

@Signess I've had a lot of different racks because people liked running in to them in parking lots around my last house (I rode most days, so they were always on). Here is my opinion of quality (not necessarily value) based on extensive use:
1. 1up
2. Kuat NV
3. RockyMounts SplitRail (although not as convenient to remove/attach)
4. Thule/Yakima higher end models are pretty much the same
5. Saris Superclamp
6. Everything else?

Daikon 04-02-2019 12:24 PM

There is no real "best" one as it should depend on budget and needs.

I personally use an older Sportworks rack (which is now the Thule T2) on my Tacoma and it works great but it uses a 1 1/4 square mount and with my 2" receiver, i have to use an adapter; which then causes it to stick out more then I like.

I just picked up a 5th gen and will be looking to replace it with a proper 2" rack. I am considering the Kuat NV 2.0 because I live in an apartment and work on my own bikes but due to the lack of space, I do not have a folding bike repair stand. THe Kuat has one built in and that would be nice for me to use when I need to do work on my bikes.

Agent_Outside 04-02-2019 12:36 PM

Another vote for Thule

mteolus 04-02-2019 01:21 PM

I have an old Yakima. Sucks. But it still works so I keep it. If and when I buy a new one it will be a 1up.

max rockatansky 04-02-2019 01:58 PM

another vote for 1Up

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have a KUAT but they aren't great for longer wheelbase bikes (it'd hang too far off of one side).

Now I have the 1Up single with the second bike attachment (easily bolts on) for when the girl rides with me. You can stagger the bikes by as much as you need so they don't touch too.

It's better quality in real life (it doesn't look as much like an erector set in person). It holds the bike a bunch more secure than I thought it would. Holds it by the tires instead of the the frame or any other clamping.

no rattles, nothing has ever come loose, no excess movement.

Folds up and semi-out of the way when empty and folds backwards with the bike on it to open the rear hatch. You can move it closer into the hitch reciever to get the bike closer to the back of the truck too.

kinda spendy, but well worth every penny.