Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Newly designed 3rd Gen Scangauge mount (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/271076-newly-designed-3rd-gen-scangauge-mount.html)

Sloweuroll 04-03-2019 06:49 PM

Newly designed 3rd Gen Scangauge mount

6 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! I have just completed designing a Scangauge2 mount for use with a JDM Field Monitor Unit. This mount is completely designed and 3D printed by myself.

I realize not a whole lot of people have FMU overhead console standard in their vehicles, but they are easily found on eBay for around $30, and then you can install my mount into it.

I also used a simple ethernet extension cable for this to be able to hide the cable under the a pillar trim and headliner. If you'd like one for yourself feel free to PM me here or find my page on facebook: 2CM - Chris Chandler Making & Motorsports.

There is some modification you will need to do on the scangauge itself and those are the last two photos. It’s a pretty simple straight forward mod that shouldn’t take more than a few minutes with a dremel or even a file. You just need to remove the areas that are marked in silver so the SG can be sandwiched into the front plate. @Novashards made a great writeup on the one he installed: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ml#post3268143

Ryance39 04-03-2019 07:24 PM

That's pretty cool. Looks good, nearly factory.

I just ordered a scan gauge today.
What would printing something like that cost?

Novashards 04-03-2019 07:26 PM

The Scangauge 2 is at Advance Auto for $159.99 - $40(25% off Code DCB6BX) = $119.99 + tax + Free shipping or in-store pickup

ScanGauge II Digital Trip Monitor

greeney 04-03-2019 07:40 PM

Very cool Sloweuroll

4Runner4Leon 04-03-2019 07:48 PM

I'm unclear on the terminology - are you selling the entire oak colored housing, or just the flat black insert piece? In other words, what does one need to buy on Ebay, and what are you providing?

Sloweuroll 04-03-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryance39 (Post 3264903)
That's pretty cool. Looks good, nearly factory.

I just ordered a scan gauge today.
What would printing something like that cost?

I am asking $25 for the mount, if interested feel free to shoot me a PM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3264927)
I'm unclear on the terminology - are you selling the entire oak colored housing, or just the flat black insert piece? In other words, what does one need to buy on Ebay, and what are you providing?

Hello, sorry for any confusion but I am just selling the black insert. I was just stating where I found the oak housing I bought. I will re read my OP and see if there is anything I can re-word. Thanks!

sogoood 04-03-2019 08:48 PM

99.9% sure that's a jdm field monitor housing. unless they made a non-sunglass/garage opener overhead console.

I have a jdm housing that ive been meaning to retro with a scan gauge or switch panel. id prefer this set up over the dated jdm field monitor. no one wants to spend $400 when you can get a inclinometer and temp gauge on your head unit/phone lol, tangent.

Im so glad youre selling this set up so i dont have to make it. One less headache to wry about. Can you offer the plate with switch panel cutouts?

Where do i send my money? :D

4Runner4Leon 04-03-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloweuroll (Post 3264934)
Hello, sorry for any confusion but I am just selling the black insert. I was just stating where I found the oak housing I bought. I will re read my OP and see if there is anything I can re-word. Thanks!

Got it, thanks! But what is the housing, it's not a standard 4Runner overhead console, is it? Is it one of those Field Monitor Unit housings?

If so, I'd reword your first post like this (just a suggestion of course):

Quote:

Hello everyone! I have just completed designing a Scangauge2 mount for use with a JDM Field Monitor Unit. This mount is completely designed and 3D printed by myself.

I realize not a whole lot of people have FMU overhead console standard in their vehicles, but they are easily found on eBay for around $30, and then you can install my mount into it.

I also used a simple ethernet extension cable for this to be able to hide the cable under the a pillar trim and headliner. If you'd like one for yourself feel free to PM me here or find my page on facebook: 2CM - Chris Chandler Making & Motorsports.

calimobber 04-04-2019 12:28 AM

This is the overhead setup I have on my 2002 sr5.

Sloweuroll 04-04-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sogoood (Post 3264961)
99.9% sure that's a jdm field monitor housing. unless they made a non-sunglass/garage opener overhead console.

I have a jdm housing that ive been meaning to retro with a scan gauge or switch panel. id prefer this set up over the dated jdm field monitor. no one wants to spend $400 when you can get a inclinometer and temp gauge on your head unit/phone lol, tangent.

Im so glad youre selling this set up so i dont have to make it. One less headache to wry about. Can you offer the plate with switch panel cutouts?

Where do i send my money? :D

Replied to your PM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3264963)
Got it, thanks! But what is the housing, it's not a standard 4Runner overhead console, is it? Is it one of those Field Monitor Unit housings?

If so, I'd reword your first post like this (just a suggestion of course):

That looks great, thank you, I changed my OP to say just that.

Bad Luck 04-04-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloweuroll (Post 3264868)

I'm having a really difficult finding one of those housings on ebay. The cheapest I see is the entire setup for about $200.

4Runner4Leon 04-04-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calimobber (Post 3265099)
This is the overhead setup I have on my 2002 sr5.

Then it's not a stock console, like most of us have. The factory ones had the sunglass door, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/DEkpQLu.jpg?1

4Runner4Leon 04-04-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3265222)
I'm having a really difficult finding one of those housings on ebay. The cheapest I see is the entire setup for about $200.

I couldn't find any in oak, just a couple in blue for $120-$300.

@Sloweuroll , thanks for clarifying your post! I wonder how hard it would be to make a similar adapter for the more common stock '99-02 overhead consoles? That would greatly expand your customer base :).

Novashards 04-04-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3265222)

I think I snagged the last $30 one off eBay yesterday evening.

calimobber 04-04-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3265246)
Then it's not a stock console, like most of us have. The factory ones had the sunglass door, like this:

Oh yeah nvm mine does have the sunglasses door. My Chevy has just an open area for sunglasses. Doh!