Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front Runner vs. SSO (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/271279-front-runner-vs-sso.html)

T4R_KAI 04-08-2019 07:31 AM

Front Runner vs. SSO

This is for those that have either. I’m currently in the market for a rack and have narrowed it down to these two. Anyone have pros and cons of both/either?

Also does anyone know if the accessories from Front Runner work on the SSO rack?

Any deals going on for either?

Thanks in advance!

GA4RNR 07-27-2019 09:30 AM

It doesn't look like you get much feedback... I think I'm getting ready to order a SSO rack as well. Are you happy with yours? Any regrets? How did things wrk out with accessories and how many crossbars did you end up ordering? Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

CRFofiddyF 07-27-2019 10:15 AM

There are plenty of threads about racks vs racks. I personally went with the FR 3/4 initialy (found a good deal on FB) and I just ordered a full size one. I stuck with the brand b/c of versatility, accessories availability and pricing. What I also liked is the width of the FR slats which makes easier (for me) to load and stand on.
Lastly, I found out that you can actually convert the 3/4 into a full size by purchasing extra parts.
Hope this helps

Tejas 07-27-2019 10:54 AM

There are a lot of great options out there in regards to flat racks for these 5th Gens and they all have their pros and cons. Between the two you listed I would go with the Frontrunner, but there's nothing wrong with the SSO, it's just not as aesthetically appealing IMHO. The Prinsu is IMHO the best looking and most streamlined of the offerings but it has it's issues as well. Don't forget about LFD, EeziAwn K9, Rhino, Gobi, and Baja either.

57HotrodVW 07-27-2019 12:22 PM

If you decide to go with an SSO rack, use this coupon code to save $100 off SSO purchases of $598 or more:
REFA0NKOLXOAU

tacoyota 07-27-2019 12:27 PM

Victory 4x4 is slim, light and no major construction imperfections like prinsu. Also ships with all the necessary hardware lol!

andrew4r 07-27-2019 01:12 PM

The FRO rack is not full length and it is quite tall. However, it does have tons of accessories. I am unsure if FRO accessories work on an SSO rack. You'd have to measure and see if the rail slots are the same. I'm guessing not.

I recently installed an SSO rack. The rack is the full length of the vehicle which is really nice. It's also very low profile. Maybe half an inch taller than the OEM rails? If that? The thing that sold me was the wind fairing. I like how it makes contact with the roof of the vehicle. Keeps things relatively quiet.

Despite some other people's experiences, the SSO rack arrived exactly how I ordered it -- including extra crossbars, all crossbars anodized black, and black hardware. Estimated time was 10-12 weeks, and it arrived during week 12.

I can't speak to the FRO rack, but the SSO rack's powder coating is amaaaazing. It's very thick and very well done.

There are 2 things I don't like about the SSO rack:

1) The installation instructions instruct you to reuse the OEM bolts. It works. Not a huge deal. But I would prefer new, longer bolts. The SSO rack introduces spacers of approximately 1 inch. So that's about 1 inch of less bolt thread threaded into the roof's bolt holes.

2) The bracket design is not bullet proof with regards to leakage. I installed per instructions and I did not have any leaks. I even removed the interior B pillar panels to see if water was getting inside, and it wasn't. However, since the brackets have slots (instead of just holes) so you can move/position/center the rack, that means either side of the bolts have about 3/4 centimeter of exposed thread. No reason water couldn't make it down those threads. After complete installment, I backed out each bolt (one by one), filled the sides of the bracket slots above the spacer with silicone, put plumbers tape on the bolts, and bolted them back down.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still go with the SSO rack. It's sharp af, the powder coating is great, it's relatively quiet, and it suits my needs. If I lived in the middle of Australia and needed my T4R to be a house on wheels, I may opt for the FRO rack.

jbinmd 10-09-2019 01:59 PM

I've been mulling over all of the various racks for a couple weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger on the "extended" 3/4 Frontrunner from Apex Overland. Not as sexy as many others, but it ships immediately and meets all of my needs..

baldrik78 10-09-2019 04:35 PM

I've used a number of Front Runner accessories on my SSO rack, *but* they do not just bolt directly on. The hardware Front Runner sends with their accessories is too large to fit in the slots on the extruded aluminum bars that come with the SSO rack. It's a simple matter of swapping out the nuts/bolts.

I use the Wolfpack boxes and cargo chocks on my rack all the time.

MyanRagahis 05-24-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRFofiddyF (Post 3328550)
There are plenty of threads about racks vs racks. I personally went with the FR 3/4 initialy (found a good deal on FB) and I just ordered a full size one. I stuck with the brand b/c of versatility, accessories availability and pricing. What I also liked is the width of the FR slats which makes easier (for me) to load and stand on.
Lastly, I found out that you can actually convert the 3/4 into a full size by purchasing extra parts.
Hope this helps

Very cool, thank you for this. I'm in the market for a rack and while I want the full length, I can't commit to drilling just yet but we'll see. Considered their extended length but the full length just looks much better.
On another note. Anyone happen to have a Roofnest Falcon or Sparrow with a Front Runner?