Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anyway to easily reset TPMS on a 2018? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/271688-anyway-easily-reset-tpms-2018-a.html)

Frasty 04-17-2019 06:19 PM

Anyway to easily reset TPMS on a 2018?

I just swapped wheels with someone who also has a 5th gen 4Runner for reasons that aren't important. We both got TPMS lights that came on. Is there any easy way to reset it?

mlnhtrang 04-17-2019 06:53 PM

local tire shop should have a reset tool.

gary419 07-04-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frasty (Post 3273703)
I just swapped wheels with someone who also has a 5th gen 4Runner for reasons that aren't important. We both got TPMS lights that came on. Is there any easy way to reset it?

Yes.
Each tire/rim has a tpms sensor id specific to that sensor inside rim, when you swapped tires/rims your computer did not recognize the id code from the different rims causing the light to come on.
Any one (tire shop) with a tpms scan tool can find the tpms id code and enter them into your computer. Probably$$. The tpms scan tools aren't cheap.
Maybe you could buy the tool yourself and also fix your friends 4Runner.

lyodbraun 07-04-2019 06:21 PM

Does anyone know where the TPMS reset button is on the 2018 ? I can’t find one anywhere under the dash ..

jrandom 07-04-2019 07:02 PM

For about $175 bucks can get you a reader/activator and a reset tool.

I have a ateg VT31 reader/activator, in order to set/reset you need the additional OBDII programmer. You can get the all in one tool for $250ish or a VCI cable and techstream if you are savvy and want to spend the time to set that up.

regardless you either go to a shop or you spend money, either way. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyodbraun (Post 3316785)
Does anyone know where the TPMS reset button is on the 2018 ? I can’t find one anywhere under the dash ..

If that was sarcasm you should use green text :D ;):

DogOuttheBack 07-04-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyodbraun (Post 3316785)

I don't believe there is one. After adding air it sometimes takes a while to read it and the light goes off by itself. Happens a lot in the winter in the mountains where I'll get the light when it's super cold, but after driving the air pressure comes back and the light goes off.

Friggin Idiot 07-05-2019 12:12 AM

There isn't a reset button. The new TPMS modules don't have them, they're programmed through the OBD-II port. Discount Tire will reprogram your TPMS sensors to the truck free of charge.

jrandom 07-05-2019 10:16 AM

So having a reset button for your tpms was actually a thing? I skipped over that whole generation, interesting.

Honestly in this day and age it puzzles me a bit that you can’t actually read your tire pressures anywhere but the valve stem and third party tools.

cb1111 07-05-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrandom (Post 3317012)
So having a reset button for your tpms was actually a thing? I skipped over that whole generation, interesting.

Honestly in this day and age it puzzles me a bit that you can’t actually read your tire pressures anywhere but the valve stem and third party tools.

Some vehicles that use the indirect measurement (using the existing ABS sensors to determine rolling diameter) have a way of resetting the system - in effect telling the system that the tire pressure is OK.

Jimbo 07-05-2019 10:35 AM

Depends on the manufacturer.

My car monitors individual sensors per wheel, and will accept new OEM sensors into the system automatically. When I swap between summer and winter wheel sets, it just takes a few seconds for the car to ID the new sensors.

The 4th and 5th gen runners seem to make it more difficult that necessary. I opted to just disable TPMS completely in both of them. Super easy in the 4th gen, and only a little more involved in the 5th.

manofsteele2003 07-05-2019 11:02 AM

My old Scion and I think another one of my cars had a reset button in the glove box for TPMS but it just reset the light on the dash.

jrandom 07-05-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 3317019)

My car monitors individual sensors per wheel, and will accept new OEM sensors into the system automatically. When I swap between summer and winter wheel sets, it just takes a few seconds for the car to ID the new sensors.

The 4th and 5th gen runners seem to make it more difficult that necessary. I opted to just disable TPMS completely in both of them. Super easy in the 4th gen, and only a little more involved in the 5th.

Not that I want to disable it, you’ve peaked my curiosity, how does one disable it on a 5th gen?

cb1111 07-05-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 3317019)

What car do you have that senses the new TPMS transmitters? Acura/Honda does, but I didn't think that ant 4R/LC does that currently.

While it may be possible to disable the system, it is a violation and, quite simply, foolish. Prior to the implementation of the TREAD Act, the majority of cars on the road had under inflated tires and a significant amount had pressure that was at least 25% under the placarded value.

97BlackAckCL 07-05-2019 12:49 PM

NTB charged me 5 bucks to reset mine, worth every cent

Mutant138 07-05-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrandom (Post 3317045)
Not that I want to disable it, you’ve peaked my curiosity, how does one disable it on a 5th gen?

Seen one on insta the other day. Wasn't sure what or where it was. But he spliced two different wire together, using a length of wire with two t tap connectors.

Seems like a similar concept to looping an abs sensor to itself to turn the dash light off.