Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Grinding noise on startup (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/271717-grinding-noise-startup.html)

jpeaslee 04-18-2019 10:34 AM

Grinding noise on startup

I've been a bit dead on the forums lately. Haven't had much exciting going on with the Runner over the last year. It usually only gets driven once or twice a week.

Over the winter, i started getting this intermittent grinding noise on startup. It'll start like normal, but immediately after it turns over and starts, there will be a grinding noise that might last a half a second. I'm guessing it's the starter. About 2 years ago I did rebuild it due to the plunger sticking, but didn't have any problem with it until maybe 4 months ago. It doesn't seem to happen as much when I've been driving it more, but that isn't exactly a scientific observation. Any thoughts on what it might be?

gamefreakgc 04-18-2019 02:42 PM

Yeah, it could be the starter gear not fully retracting in time and contacting the flexplate after the engine starts.

dingobaby 04-18-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeaslee (Post 3274024)
I've been a bit dead on the forums lately. Haven't had much exciting going on with the Runner over the last year. It usually only gets driven once or twice a week.

Over the winter, i started getting this intermittent grinding noise on startup. It'll start like normal, but immediately after it turns over and starts, there will be a grinding noise that might last a half a second. I'm guessing it's the starter. About 2 years ago I did rebuild it due to the plunger sticking, but didn't have any problem with it until maybe 4 months ago. It doesn't seem to happen as much when I've been driving it more, but that isn't exactly a scientific observation. Any thoughts on what it might be?

I just recently had something similar happen to me, but intermittently. When I would start the car, it would start fine, but a loud screeching/metal scraping sound would occur for like 1/2 a second. It turned out to be the flywheel scraping against a loose bolt on the steering pulley. The shop found it and tightened the bolt and never heard it again.

calimobber 04-20-2019 10:52 AM

I had this years ago. I bought a new starter to replace mine but when I pulled it out I found it was only the washer on the starter. It got loose and would push out with the starter gear and grind for half a second before being pulled back in with the gear.

I just replaced the starter since I had it out already and it was pretty old. I would have just fixed the washer if I could go back and kept the OEM. The auto zone one has been fine for the last 6 years though.

smithroj 04-22-2019 02:21 PM

It could be your starter motor. My 99' was making the same noise and upon pulling the starter, I discovered the gear was pretty well eaten away. A new one was about $100 from autozone and an hour and a half to two hours worth of work to diy. Starts up great and with no grinding noise everytime now.

cnd4747 06-09-2022 07:59 AM

Just to confirm, is this kinda what the noise sounds like? A low pitch grinding noise, accompanied by some sporadic higher pitch noises (which didn't come through on the video?) It sounds a whole lot worse in this video than in real-life -- way more prominent. I hear it only at startup and for the first few minutes of my drive. I've been having this happen kinda randomly for the past week or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0QY5eVV0R4

19963.4lsr5 06-09-2022 08:19 AM

If it’s making that noise after the engine is running for a few min I don’t think it’s the starter.

Look at the Alt. It’s bearings may be going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 06-09-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnd4747 (Post 3739471)
Just to confirm, is this kinda what the noise sounds like? A low pitch grinding noise, accompanied by some sporadic higher pitch noises (which didn't come through on the video?) It sounds a whole lot worse in this video than in real-life -- way more prominent. I hear it only at startup and for the first few minutes of my drive. I've been having this happen kinda randomly for the past week or two

Grinding noise on 2003 Toyota 4Runner LE on startup - YouTube

It's hard to tell from the video. You might try looking in the 4th gen section since your 2003 is a 4th gen. They might be able to recognize it easier.

cnd4747 06-09-2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3739503)
It's hard to tell from the video. You might try looking in the 4th gen section since your 2003 is a 4th gen. They might be able to recognize it easier.

Oop, didn't even notice -- thanks for the tip. I'll try posting there. I definitely think the loose flywheel bolt is the most likely issue, though the alternator is a good point I hadn't thought of.

3bears 06-09-2022 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingobaby (Post 3274364)
I just recently had something similar happen to me, but intermittently. When I would start the car, it would start fine, but a loud screeching/metal scraping sound would occur for like 1/2 a second. It turned out to be the flywheel scraping against a loose bolt on the steering pulley. The shop found it and tightened the bolt and never heard it again.

what ?
sounds more like the nut behind the steering wheel or blinker fluid

brillo_76 06-10-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3739658)
what ?

sounds more like the nut behind the steering wheel or blinker fluid

I was trying to figure out the flywheel part myself. What I think the member ment was the bolt behind the power steering pully as you have to loosen it to adjust the power steering belt. :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk