Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Napa rebuilt CVs - $45? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/271781-napa-rebuilt-cvs-$45.html)

DaMonkey 04-19-2019 04:58 PM

Napa rebuilt CVs - $45?

I know the consensus is OEM is much better, but I've heard really good things about Napa units. If you reserve your order online, it's 20% off from $57 this month. I just paid $45 each for fully rebuilt ones. They look good.

As for the strategy to keep the OEM as a spare, I dunno... at this price already rebuilt, may just get another and find something for core return.

FWIW, the nuts on them are 35mm, but the sticker said rebuilt from a regional company, so it might not be consistent. I've heard of a lot of remans having 36mm and even bigger, but OEM generally 35mm. Some OEMs reported to be 36mm.

Angrywelder 04-19-2019 05:12 PM

I put Napa rebuilt on mine and I am pretty sure they were factory OEM remans. The ones I had on mine were factory OEM and the Napa ones were the exact same thing. I would take a head of an argument to convince me that the Napa one's aren't factory OEM pieces.

rideexileex 04-19-2019 07:05 PM

I swear by the Napa Axles - OEM rebuilds and still a 3 year warranty. I’d much rather be breaking those than dealership ones.

TonyB66 04-19-2019 07:22 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like a core price of $111.11.

DaMonkey 04-19-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rideexileex (Post 3274932)
I swear by the Napa Axles - OEM rebuilds and still a 3 year warranty. I’d much rather be breaking those than dealership ones.

Wasn’t sure if you’re talking about oem or Napa but counter guy confirmed lifetime. Prob put in glove box hopefully never have to look for it.

MaineRunna 04-20-2019 07:39 AM

Remanufactured axles are rebuilt OEM units. New ones are always Chinese. I like the Napa remans. No new or reman axle is going to have a boot that lasts as long as original though. Also beware that sometimes it is a new Chinese axle in a reman box, so check that before you walk out of the store with them. Some remans might be mostly new too, depends on what it took to rebuild it. New ones are usually new, shiney, bare metal and have different style CV joints than original. Remans are usually painted black or have a gray coating on them.

rideexileex 04-20-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMonkey (Post 3274973)
Wasn’t sure if you’re talking about oem or Napa but counter guy confirmed lifetime. Prob put in glove box hopefully never have to look for it.

Lifetime warranty for NAPA new, but 3 year for their reman axles.

DaMonkey 04-20-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rideexileex (Post 3275365)
Lifetime warranty for NAPA new, but 3 year for their reman axles.

These are reman and the inner housings are the oem tri lobe.

Counter guy confirmed lifetime just keep receipt.

Edited: Bah - online, click on warranty it says 3 years. Counter guy prob wrong. Hopefully not an issue.

jgue467 04-21-2019 09:33 AM

How to break a 3rd Gen axle?

So just what does one have to do to Break an axle?

Jump? Fast hard hit? I thought we took it EASY on our rigs when wheeling??!!

:cowboy:

nobb 04-21-2019 12:06 PM

Aren't Napa axles (both new and reman) supplied by Cardone? Years ago when I had a torn boot I bought new axles from Napa and they had Cardone packaging to them. When I opened the box and saw how poor quality the axles were in terms of materials and machining, I returned them promptly and decided to just reboot my existing OEM axles.