Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Changed front pads (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/271786-changed-front-pads.html)

Greenmachine86 04-19-2019 06:36 PM

Changed front pads

I changed my front pads today, when i got to the passenger side, i had trouble getting the pads to slide down in the right place. Finally got them to go. Noticed that the wheel would spin but not totally free. Drove around the block and noticed a hot brake smell. Seems like the brake is grabbing on that side. Any thoughts?

3bears 04-19-2019 07:30 PM

sticky caliper piston is my first guess

Greenmachine86 04-19-2019 07:39 PM

So does that mean replace the caliper?

Kanoe 04-19-2019 07:47 PM

I'd suggest pulling that caliper off and see if you can get the piston to retract properly. Then clean and grease any pins and sliding surfaces which is normally part of a pad replacement job anyhow.

Caliper might be bad but it may just need a clean up.

Brian. 04-19-2019 08:17 PM

Your first clue will be what the OLD pads were like. One worn more than the other (inside vs outside)? Then the pistons are stuck. That you had an issue fitting the new pads is also an indication. They can be rebuilt if you're a detail oriented DIYer, or replaced if you'd rather just buy replacements.

nissanh 04-20-2019 01:27 AM

Front calipers are fixed calipers so there are no sliding pins.

Did you have trouble removing the pads on the passenger side? Did you see any damaged dust boot? May be caliper pistons are seized or the aftermarket pad is thicker. Did you install the right number of shims?

Greenmachine86 04-20-2019 07:07 AM

The inner pad on the passenger side was tough to remove. I finally got it out, one of the pistons did not wanna re tract, but i finally got it to move. Im thinkn this is where my problem began

MaineRunna 04-20-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmachine86 (Post 3275079)
The inner pad on the passenger side was tough to remove. I finally got it out, one of the pistons did not wanna re tract, but i finally got it to move. Im thinkn this is where my problem began

Buy a new caliper. These four piston, fixed mounted calipers seize up all the time. I usually have to replace at least one caliper whenever I do a brake job on a Toyota truck.

3bears 04-20-2019 12:20 PM

of course you can replace one caliper, or replace both and be done and not worry about the other for a while. Some rebuilts come with pads, however usually junk pads

Greenmachine86 04-21-2019 02:58 PM

The caliper was the issue! Had one of four pistons stuck. After tryin to run down the prts, then they gave me the wrong one.... finally got the right one on! Works like a champ. Thanks for all the input from here

YOTAGUY93 04-21-2019 07:19 PM

Sorry for thread jacking but i'm having an issue with my brakes as well. I just swapped out my old front brakes thinking they were the issue to my annoying squealing. Come to find the new ones are doing the same thing! I changed out my front pads with akebono pads and front rotors with brembo rotors. I also bed in the brakes multiple times. Can a bad caliper be my culprit? I can hear a faint whirring sound when i drive but idk if that's from my bad cvs or not. I adjusted my rear brakes and fixed a leaking rear axle seal. I bled the brakes multiple times as well. Any help is much appreciated...