Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Modifications you regret (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/271812-modifications-you-regret.html)

Shadytype 04-20-2019 12:41 PM

Modifications you regret

New to the forum 2018 owner.

Before I jump in on the mod wagon (been there with many other cars and trucks)......

What have you done to your truck that you regretted? And why do you regret it?

So far for me;
Baby seats in the rear.....
Why? Dimpling the leather. :)

But in all seriousness, what jave you done that you regretted or dont think it was worth the money or time.

shrub1 04-20-2019 12:54 PM

I want to say that there is already a thread on this.

But anyway.... for me I regret buying the 2 inch Toytec spacer lift. Not because the ride was that bad, but because fine tuning of ride height and lean correction was only realized once I went with a coil over set up.

Daikon 04-20-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrub1 (Post 3275230)
I want to say that there is already a thread on this.

But anyway.... for me I regret buying the 2 inch Toytec spacer lift. Not because the ride was that bad, but because fine tuning of ride height and lean correction was only realized once I went with a coil over set up.

I had toytec's 3" spacer on my tacoma then soon swapped it out for 5100's and set it at the highest setting. Rides rough.

I've always wanted King's since the MDR event days so even before I got a 5th gen, I ordered Kings! Haven't installed them yet but can't wait!

sn_85 04-20-2019 01:55 PM

The roof top tent. Although that's off now so not a big deal. The other one is going with Icons over Kings/Fox.

Mudballz 04-20-2019 02:31 PM

Disco ball in the mirror :cheer2:
Mike

Charlievee 04-20-2019 02:36 PM

Kind of second guessing the whole 4runner purchase. Thinking I should have built not bought.

osugsxr 04-20-2019 03:36 PM

regret : the wife purchasing it for herself :Cry: as for the mods I'm happy with what I did.
17 SR5 premium, 3rd row We don't do any major off roading, its more of a baby hauler and small trailer hauler. Solid price the wife got what she wanted. :cheer2:

Mods:
painted the roof rails black to match the wheels
Trd pro wheels ($150 after selling stock sr5 wheels)...5th wheel 40% off sale
Trd pro skid plate , painted black $215 40% off sale
Trd pro suspension at $450 or so clearance deal
Window tint front windows

bigair96 04-20-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3275257)
The roof top tent. Although that's off now so not a big deal. The other one is going with Icons over Kings/Fox.

Why do you regret the RTT?

mrblah 04-20-2019 03:57 PM

Drawers

Shadytype 04-20-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigair96 (Post 3275310)
Why do you regret the RTT?

I second this question. I have beem thi king about one.

shrub1 04-20-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daikon (Post 3275256)
I had toytec's 3" spacer on my tacoma then soon swapped it out for 5100's and set it at the highest setting. Rides rough.

I've always wanted King's since the MDR event days so even before I got a 5th gen, I ordered Kings! Haven't installed them yet but can't wait!

You are going to love them.
Just don't go crazy with the preload.

shrub1 04-20-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3275257)

Same.
Next time around will be Kings vs Icon.

Volke 04-20-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrub1 (Post 3275327)
You are going to love them.
Just don't go crazy with the preload.

You should really read this, particularly the section titled "reduce preload"

Coilover Spring Rates for Toyota Tacoma & 4Runner | AccuTune Off-Road

The misinformation on this forum is astounding. Adding more preload to coilovers just changes the ride height. It doesn't make the ride harsh unless you lift too high and run out of down travel to soak up dips, or the spring hits solid length before the shock bottoms out on bumps, neither of which will happen on a 4Runner, even with a plate bumper.

KingTaco 04-20-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblah (Post 3275312)
Drawers

This is my answer too. So much money, weight, effort, and commitment. As nice as they were, the benefits just weren't worth it for me in a daily driver when I have 2 kids and a dog. Now I built a cargo plate and I can take/leave what I need. Thrilled with it.

shrub1 04-20-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volke (Post 3275333)
You should really read this, particularly the section titled "reduce preload"

Coilover Spring Rates for Toyota Tacoma & 4Runner | AccuTune Off-Road

The misinformation on this forum is astounding. Adding more preload to coilovers just changes the ride height. It doesn't make the ride harsh unless you lift too high and run out of down travel to soak up dips, or the spring hits solid length before the shock bottoms out on bumps, neither of which will happen on a 4Runner, even with a plate bumper.

No Pete.
I don't need to read that.
I know what coil overs do, and yes, I was referring to too much preload ruining the ride hence the word "crazy".