Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power Steering Rack Lines (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/271824-power-steering-rack-lines.html)

4runnerWiniarski23 04-20-2019 05:55 PM

Power Steering Rack Lines

Hey guys developed a leak at one of my power steering rack lines, hard line on the rack. I am going to dig into the forum to try to find some answers but would love to know if I can just replace the lines and not have to do the entire rack. Of course trying to loosen the flare fittings was tough, the one side with both flare fittings next to each other, hard to get good torque. I dont have a pair of flare nut wrenches but may have to run out tomorrow and get a set for this.

Thanks in advance.

4runnerWiniarski23 04-20-2019 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Turn Pressure tube in the diagram below, and the lines in the picture below.

sleepydad 04-20-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerWiniarski23 (Post 3275359)
Hey guys developed a leak at one of my power steering rack lines, hard line on the rack. I am going to dig into the forum to try to find some answers but would love to know if I can just replace the lines and not have to do the entire rack. Of course trying to loosen the flare fittings was tough, the one side with both flare fittings next to each other, hard to get good torque. I dont have a pair of flare nut wrenches but may have to run out tomorrow and get a set for this.

Thanks in advance.

TUBE, STEERING RIGHT TURN PRESSURE

TUBE, STEERING LEFT TURN PRESSURE

also looks like you need a couple of these, not sure but it seems like a crush one time deal to me?

SEAT, UNION(FOR POWER STEERING RACK HOUSING)

FRONT STEERING GEAR & LINK | 4RUNNER VZN185L-GKPZKA RZN18#,VZN18# | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

4runnerWiniarski23 04-21-2019 10:11 AM

Tried to head to autozone to get a replacement hardlines they didn't have much choices.

Going to go to advanced next

Are these anything special? M12 or m14 threaded flare ends?

Thanks

MaineRunna 04-21-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerWiniarski23 (Post 3275660)
Tried to head to autozone to get a replacement hardlines they didn't have much choices.

Going to go to advanced next

Are these anything special? M12 or m14 threaded flare ends?

Thanks

You can only get these tubes from Toyota. You might be able to fabricate them, but it's all metric and might have weird ends on them. The easiest way to get fittings off when you are replacing the line anyway is to cut the line off and use a socket on the fitting.

Rockdawg84 04-23-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineRunna (Post 3275748)
You can only get these tubes from Toyota. You might be able to fabricate them, but it's all metric and might have weird ends on them. The easiest way to get fittings off when you are replacing the line anyway is to cut the line off and use a socket on the fitting.

this is not a true statement just last month I replaced both power steering lines with Gates hoses I bought from RockAuto.com they were the formed hard lines with rubber lines and flare nuts. Don't pay dealer prices of over $400. The quality is excellent.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1317463&jsn=1
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1317463&jsn=4

Total order was $146 shipped for both lines.

Not bashing you just getting out info to save everyone money.

MaineRunna 04-23-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdawg84 (Post 3276604)
this is not a true statement just last month I replaced both power steering lines with Gates hoses I bought from RockAuto.com they were the formed hard lines with rubber lines and flare nuts. Don't pay dealer prices of over $400. The quality is excellent.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1317463&jsn=1
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1317463&jsn=4

Total order was $146 shipped for both lines.

Not bashing you just getting out info to save everyone money.

Good to know there is another source for these, but they're like $50 ea from Toyota.

bigcap76 04-23-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineRunna (Post 3276626)
Good to know there is another source for these, but they're like $50 ea from Toyota.

If you can get them for $50 I'd like to know where. When I priced the high pressure line it was more like $330. So I went with an aftermarket (Sunsong) line. It was well built and the bends all matched perfectly. I did put a coat of silver rust oleum on it to help with rust.

96RedRunner 04-23-2019 09:26 AM

Olathe Toyota showing prices of $51.00, $28.00, $4.71 for these parts.
Dealer local to me will match any online price so I'm good for a $100 fix.

MaineRunna 04-23-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcap76 (Post 3276654)
If you can get them for $50 I'd like to know where. When I priced the high pressure line it was more like $330. So I went with an aftermarket (Sunsong) line. It was well built and the bends all matched perfectly. I did put a coat of silver rust oleum on it to help with rust.

I just called Jaffarian Toyota in Haverhill, MA and they actually said the lines are NOT available at all, serviced only as part of the rack. Weird because I see them online for like $50.

pokeyman 04-23-2019 12:20 PM

use a crow foot to loosen the line

4runnerbemore 04-23-2019 12:37 PM

I believe only Toyota dealers have these hard tubes. Sometimes you have to pre-order them

3bears 04-23-2019 12:40 PM

for fun I checked the two Toyota dealers I use for parts, and both show available, and yes for approx. 100 for the pair

96RedRunner 04-23-2019 03:08 PM

For the hell of it I called local dealer I buy from, hard lines are in the States can be had along with unions at online prices. One line two days out, other and unions 2 weeks out, normal for back order.

Rockdawg84 04-25-2019 02:46 AM

Oh man I was talking about a totally different line set. I misread the OP's post and thought we were talking about the lines from the power steering pump to the rack, not the hard lines on the rack itself. yes those are totally different.