Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4th Gen Brake Upgrade Question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/271860-4th-gen-brake-upgrade-question.html)

tmarton05 04-21-2019 09:28 PM

4th Gen Brake Upgrade Question

I have done a good amount of research but still have some questions on front brake kits for 4th gens. I have a seized caliper and am looking to do a brake upgrade to potentially avoid this situation in the future as well as have overall better braking performance. I am looking at the Powerstop towing kit on Rockauto.com and wondering if I should get the 4Runner specific one, or if there is any advantage to getting the Tundra one and fitting that for the 4runner. I have a 2006 limited and the 4Runner kit says its a 319mm rotor which I believe is the smaller SR5 rotor size? Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

4runner Specific Kit: More Information for POWER STOP KC13736

Tundra Kit: More Information for POWER STOP KC232436

having fun 04-21-2019 09:48 PM

I just did this 36 kit, stuck with the 319s no calipers as I dont have road condition problem like you creating frozen piston.

I'm a lot heavier and over size tires. They have a better bit, and bit harder as they heat up.
This is compared to factory.

Bluesky 07 04-21-2019 10:18 PM

I’ve been very happy with the PowerStop Z36 kit on my ‘07 Sport, which has the larger front rotors. While I only needed rotors & pads, I imagine their calipers are good quality as well.

Terminator03 04-22-2019 12:00 AM

I have the drilled and slotted rotors, Z36 pads and red powder coated calipers on mine, and they are not only awesome looking, but they work WAY better than the original brakes.

tmarton05 04-22-2019 10:50 AM

Thanks for the answers! Just ordered the Z36 kit including the calipers from RockAuto

overlandout 04-22-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarton05 (Post 3276054)
Thanks for the answers! Just ordered the Z36 kit including the calipers from RockAuto

You are just going to use 4th gen parts right? If using 5th gen make sure you stick with 4th gen rotors. The hub diameter is different and will give you problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tmarton05 04-22-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandout (Post 3276123)
You are just going to use 4th gen parts right? If using 5th gen make sure you stick with 4th gen rotors. The hub diameter is different and will give you problems.

Correct. I ordered the kit for the 4th gen 4Runner

Thanks!

Sonnystile 05-06-2019 11:59 AM

Ordered my Z36 today!

That_Titanium_4RNR 05-06-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandout (Post 3276123)

Just clarifying this statement. Only the 5th gen rear rotors cause issue. The fronts work fine.

Sonnystile 05-08-2019 06:06 PM

Power stop Z36 with big front rotors dropped off at mechanic tonight after work.

Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluesky 07 05-08-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnystile (Post 3285433)
Power stop Z36 with big front rotors dropped off at mechanic tonight after work.

Can’t wait.

Looking forward to your next update. I’m a big fan of the Z36 kit.

Sonnystile 05-09-2019 04:58 PM

First update:

The brand new front passenger side caliper is defective.

My guy can’t even blow air through it.

RockAuto doesn’t have a customer service line, so I sent an email.

Called PowerStop and they said “sorry”, we won’t do anything to help you. Call Rock Auto. Good luck”.

RockAuto responded that they are going to FEDEX ground ship me a new pair of front calipers. I should receive my tracking number within two business days. I was told that if I wanted it any faster, I could :
Go back online
Cancel the new replacement order.
File for a refund instead.
Order a new pair and pay for expedited shipping.
Wait.

Oof. What a day.

having fun 05-09-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnystile (Post 3285992)
First update:

The brand new front passenger side caliper is defective.

My guy can’t even blow air through it.

RockAuto doesn’t have a customer service line, so I sent an email.

Called PowerStop and they said “sorry”, we won’t do anything to help you. Call Rock Auto. Good luck”.

RockAuto responded that they are going to FEDEX ground ship me a new pair of front calipers. I should receive my tracking number within two business days. I was told that if I wanted it any faster, I could :
Go back online
Cancel the new replacement order.
File for a refund instead.
Order a new pair and pay for expedited shipping.
Wait.

Oof. What a day.

And supposedly they test the calipers, so much for QC.

Sonnystile 05-13-2019 07:50 PM

Finally got them installed!

RockAuto sent me a new pair of front calipers to accommodate the front passenger side being defective.

So I’m now sitting on a brand new and working drivers side, and a brand new passenger that needs some “fussing”.

These are part of the red coated, tow rated set.

Anyone interested?

NNV4Runner 05-13-2019 08:16 PM

I'll upgrade my Brakes when my V8 gets faster....

Stock Brakes are good enough for bone Stock 4R's