Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Carrying a Hi Lift? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/272329-carrying-hi-lift.html)

thezentree 05-03-2019 12:31 PM

Carrying a Hi Lift?

How are y'all carrying a hi lift without a bumper mount or roof rack? I just got a 48" jack that is my new favorite tool but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to carry it. I don't have a bumper mount an just have the OEM roof rack, so I'm not sure how to mount it outside the car.

Any ideas?

weekendclimber 05-03-2019 02:35 PM

Here's some options:

Where do you put your hi lift jack?

Joelzy 05-03-2019 02:50 PM

I'll be addressing this soon as well, just got one as i'll be taking the 4R out this weekend and didnt want to chance it.
its currently tucked behind my spare which is strapped in standing up in the back, not the most ideal setup

weekendclimber 05-03-2019 03:06 PM

Yeah, I think if you want it inside Steve at S.S.'s option is the best. You could probably fab something like that pretty easily if you have a welder.

thezentree 05-03-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekendclimber (Post 3282788)

Thanks, I was on my phone at lunch and had like 3 minutes to make the thread, zero time for searching
:peep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekendclimber (Post 3282807)
Yeah, I think if you want it inside Steve at S.S.'s option is the best. You could probably fab something like that pretty easily if you have a welder.

Those are pretty slick. SS jack mount

Reno - 3rd gen 05-03-2019 05:10 PM

I use to run mine mounted to my OEM roof crossbars before I got a rack, but I just picked up some pipe clamps (U-shaped with the flat piece that bolts in tight). Ran one side of the clamp through the holes in the hi-lift jack, and put some foam between the jack and the crossbar to avoid any chatter from vibrations. Worked well and stayed tight while wheeling (Didn't look bad either). Sorry no photos since I changed it.

3bears 05-03-2019 05:19 PM

fun to think of this and how usefully they might be.
we were advised to get one for if/when we run aground in our boat...how I have not figured out yet
…...Alaska...any tool helps
hi lift jack...4runner in the mud.....boat on a sand bar....don't get it
bet I will some day I will

thezentree 05-15-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelzy (Post 3282795)
I'll be addressing this soon as well, just got one as i'll be taking the 4R out this weekend and didnt want to chance it.
its currently tucked behind my spare which is strapped in standing up in the back, not the most ideal setup

Hey do you have a pic of how you strapped your spare? I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't have a swing-out bumper, so my spare is in the back for offroading, along with my hi-lift, and it eats up SO much room just laying there.

Edit: Saw a pic in your build thread. Is it leaning against the glass or the C-pillar?

Joelzy 05-16-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3288996)
Hey do you have a pic of how you strapped your spare? I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't have a swing-out bumper, so my spare is in the back for offroading, along with my hi-lift, and it eats up SO much room just laying there.

Edit: Saw a pic in your build thread. Is it leaning against the glass or the C-pillar?

Yeah we take our dogs out with us a lot so i didnt want to lay it down. Its up against the pillar and strapped between the rear tie down and the rear seat latch hook. The jack is pinned down by the tire. For now. If it turns long term i’ll build something to hold it up straight and secure it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4dfaf85ed4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...895d4f6b2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy in Pa 05-16-2019 10:42 AM

Hi Lift jacks serve their purpose, and I carried one myself for many years. The novelty does wear off though, and if you actually plan to use your jack, I recommend making sure its mounted safely inside somehow. It may look cool mounted outside, but rust is the #1 reason high lifts fail and people get hurt.

I switched to a 20 ton bottle jack years ago, as it is much easier to carry inside, is safer to use and works just as well. I find its much easier and more stable to just slip the bottle jack under the axle tube (or front cross-member) and jack it up that way.

Just my .02

Joelzy 05-16-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy in Pa (Post 3289278)
Hi Lift jacks serve their purpose, and I carried one myself for many years. The novelty does wear off though, and if you actually plan to use your jack, I recommend making sure its mounted safely inside somehow. It may look cool mounted outside, but rust is the #1 reason high lifts fail and people get hurt.

I switched to a 20 ton bottle jack years ago, as it is much easier to carry inside, is safer to use and works just as well. I find its much easier and more stable to just slip the bottle jack under the axle tube (or front cross-member) and jack it up that way.

Just my .02

what bottle jack do you have?

i would much rather have something small and compact like that, considering building a storage box in the factory spare area and a bottle jack would fit a whole lot better.

thezentree 05-16-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelzy (Post 3289267)
Yeah we take our dogs out with us a lot so i didnt want to lay it down. Its up against the pillar and strapped between the rear tie down and the rear seat latch hook. The jack is pinned down by the tire. For now. If it turns long term i’ll build something to hold it up straight and secure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that should hopefully solve two problems for me, for this trip at least.

Andy in Pa I'm also curious to hear about this bottle jack. I don't plan on carrying the hi lift most days but I really like its versatility for off-roading. That said, a good bottle jack is way easier to carry daily and both might be a good solution long-term.

Andy in Pa 05-16-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelzy (Post 3289306)
what bottle jack do you have?

i would much rather have something small and compact like that, considering building a storage box in the factory spare area and a bottle jack would fit a whole lot better.

This one would work fine. Just a cheap one from Harbor Freight Tools. The top unscrews to increase the amount of travel.

20 Ton Hydraulic Bottle Jack

snivilous 05-16-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy in Pa (Post 3289278)

Just my .02

I agree completely. I used to have a hilift mounted on my bumper and it got destroyed, plus in the event of body damage can destroy the jack. I don't even consider carrying one anymore on my current rigs, a bottle jack is easier and on rigs with more travel a hilift wont even lift the tires off the ground regardless where you jack from so then is pretty useless. There's the argument that you can use it as a winch, which I've done, but a come along is still superior.

To each their own, now I just use a harbor freight (I think) scissor jack. Enough height to lift an axle, convenient to package, and less dangerous to use.