Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Center diff lock light blinking (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/272661-center-diff-lock-light-blinking.html)

Direwolf82 05-11-2019 07:46 PM

Center diff lock light blinking

Ok, so tried turning on the center diff lock just to exercise it. The diff lock light just blinks but the vsc off light turns on.
Does that mean all is well or what?
From what I've been able to search and find the diff lock should be solid lit before the vsc light comes on or am I missing something?
03 V8 limited. Obviously definitely in 4x4 and high/low range switch works fine.
Also I didn't get a manual with mine, high range to low should be stopped in neutral but I've heard some people say on the fly for the diff lock and some say stopped or coasting slow in neutral. Clarification please?

cooper30 05-11-2019 08:06 PM

Your actuator is most likely stuck.

When it isn't used, it seizes up. Some people have had luck by gently tapping on the housing.

I bought my 2008 from a dealer last fall and it had the same symptoms. I held my ground and they replaced the actuator on their dime.

Some info:

Center Diff Lock - Won't Engage

From high to low should be stopped and in neutral.

AuSeeker 05-11-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direwolf82 (Post 3286852)
Ok, so tried turning on the center diff lock just to exercise it. The diff lock light just blinks but the vsc off light turns on.
Does that mean all is well or what?
From what I've been able to search and find the diff lock should be solid lit before the vsc light comes on or am I missing something?
03 V8 limited. Obviously definitely in 4x4 and high/low range switch works fine.
Also I didn't get a manual with mine, high range to low should be stopped in neutral but I've heard some people say on the fly for the diff lock and some say stopped or coasting slow in neutral. Clarification please?

There should be instructions on your driver's sun visor on how to use the 4WD system.

Also look on the driver's door jamb for ID sticker which has your VIN number and other info on it, in the upper corner there's a build date...should look something like this...02/03, this is the month and year your 2003 was built, then go to the link below and you can view and also download a owner's manual (3 different versions for the 2003 model by build date/s) and a few other documents, you can also register on the site and then enter your VIN number and find some if not all of the maintenance history of your T4R or any other Toyota.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Is this the first time you tried locking it?

Keep trying it every day for a month or so and many times it will at some point possibly become unstuck, for some it took even a couple of months and one day it started working again, hopefully that will work for you.

originalg00kster 05-12-2019 02:22 AM

Make sure that you're in Neutral when you hit center diff lock.

Direwolf82 05-12-2019 09:34 AM

Appreciate the info. After some more fiddling with it the light did eventually go solid so I drove it around a little stopped and tried again. It seems to be working now.
I just bought the truck a week ago and only tried with the salesman in the car once, of course it worked flawlessly then.
I'll just keep turning it on and off a couple times a day for the next week then go to monthly exercising if I don't need to use it sooner, hopefully I do.
Thanks again.

jcaino 05-12-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalg00kster (Post 3286953)
Make sure that you're in Neutral when you hit center diff lock.

Wrong. Stopped and in neutral is for 4H to 4L and back.

Center diff gets engaged on the fly, no stopping.

Glad you got it working, now make sure to use it once a month.

Direwolf82 05-12-2019 09:47 PM

Got to actually use the diff lock today. Now that I've got a 4x4 that goes over 45mph again that opens up some trail driving to fishing spots.
Low range and the diff lock will see plenty of exercise now, although the trails told me to get or make a full skid plate set and maybe a little more clearance but that's another deal.
Thanks again everyone, crappy washed out trails and fishing again. Happy days are back at last!

originalg00kster 05-13-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcaino (Post 3287005)
Wrong. Stopped and in neutral is for 4H to 4L and back.

Center diff gets engaged on the fly, no stopping.

Glad you got it working, now make sure to use it once a month.

My bad.