Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Bugs Insects Beetles (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/272895-bugs-insects-beetles.html)

brettmc 05-16-2019 10:00 AM

Bugs Insects Beetles

Here's a strange one. I have an infestation of some kind of buggy beetle. How do I get rid of them?

I left all the windows open for about 3-4 hours one nice afternoon 2 years ago. Apparently during this brief window, some of these tiny black beetle bugs took refuge in the 4runner. I vacuumed all of them and for the next few weeks hand picked the stragglers. Didn't see any over the winter. I get in the truck yesterday only to find these little f-ers are back in force! They're mostly in the driver footwell, with some on the passenger footwell and 2 or 5 in the rear.

Clearly they've set up a breeding area not visible to the human eye.

IMG_20190516_084423.jpg - Google Drive

Trumpet 05-16-2019 01:06 PM

Zip it all up, light off a couple of bug bombs !! RAID !!, air it out for a afternoon. Vacuum it out and hope they don't come back.

brettmc 05-16-2019 01:12 PM

I have a bug bomb but was thinking it might leave residue or smell on the interior leather, carpet.

Trumpet 05-16-2019 01:21 PM

Bugs or bomb, your choice/s

There are pemertherin (sp?) bug bombs that are a bit more neutral odored, but no matter what you will have to air it out afterwards.

brettmc 05-16-2019 01:25 PM

Haha! thanks Trumpet.

AuSeeker 05-16-2019 06:46 PM

Those are Missouri 4Runner beetles, they love 4Runners, once they start homesteading you can't get rid of them :sobbing:, glad I don't live in Missouri!!!:D JK

I agree bug bomb time, read the cautions carefully as to what types of fabrics that they suggest covering, I know most bombs says to remove or cover terry cloth, not sure why, also see if you can find one that specifically kills beetles and can possibly kill any eggs.

I would guess that these are carpet beetles, you may have to remove the console and seats to get them all, if it were me I would pull everything possible, then remove the carpet and spray the carpet outside the vehicle let it dry and air out, spray all the padding and let it dry and then vacuum it well, if you don't get all the larvae and eggs they will just keep coming back!!

brettmc 05-16-2019 06:52 PM

i set off a nuclear device in the 4runner. after the fallout settled, i found 2 hardy survivors. they met a crushing death.

i have 1 more device in case a doomsday prepper beetle cell arises from the ashes.

hinmo24t 05-17-2019 10:32 AM

reminds me off inchworm sh*t here in the northeast. very gnarly stuff, tiny black balls that adhere to paint and sometimes wont even power wash off. glad i have a garage now thats for sure.

brettmc 05-17-2019 10:46 AM

that sounds nasty af. i used to live near a reservoir in MS and for a few days every year the mayfly mass suicide would leave my vehicles virtually coated on the front.

Rocktower 05-17-2019 11:11 AM

Natural Preditors

If you can find out what it is there may be a natural predator you can release.

Wild Thing 02-18-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RileyPk (Post 3606109)
Pest control the best idea, don't repeat my mistake and try to get rid of them on your own, it will end up bad

Well, if Brett hasn't gotten rid of 'em by now,
they probably ate him and drove the 4Runner off!

:lol:

;):

Adesanja 03-18-2021 05:45 PM

Hi there!
Try to use ultrasonic repellers. They are relatively expensive but a lot of reviewers on YouTube say that US repellers are really effective and don't have disadvantages regular poisons have.
UPD: have a look at the repellers by Everpest Products
– Ever Pest
. At the moment they offer considerable discounts (up to 50%) on a number of repellers.

spartacus 04-02-2022 02:54 PM

Please start adding pics to this thread. The feeling of skin crawl is lacking.

afifaconver 06-23-2022 09:24 AM

What you definitely shouldn't do is "beat" bugs and other insects on the upholstered upholstery of the cabin. Removing stains will not always go smoothly, but it will take a lot of time and effort.