Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Door locks...help (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/272918-door-locks-help.html)

pjku79 05-16-2019 05:01 PM

Door locks...help

The last few days I have been having weird issues with my door locks. I am wondering if anyone has run into this and if so how to fix it.

When using the key fob, I can click the unlock and get the beep and hear unlocks. If I follow right how with a lock, I get no beep and all doors lock except the driver door. This happened to me a few days ago except it was the other way (locked find and only the driver door wouldn't unlock) and when I got home it didn't have the problem. So far, it has done if several times throughout the day, so I am not sure it is going to fix itself.

I also just went out to check to see if the power locks from the door worked and they do the same as the fob. Initially I was thinking the driver door switch, but I am not sure how that would relate to the fob not beeping.

Thanks for your thoughts.

winstonrodney 05-16-2019 05:19 PM

Sounds like the actuator is going. I've had to replace 7 actuators so far. I think I can tie them all back to a damn aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner installed. They start with failing intermittently, sometimes with the fob, sometimes with the switch, but eventually they'll give up the ghost entirely.
I could live with some of the other door locks not working for a while, but the driver's door was an immediate replacement. I bet that the locking beep is tied to the driver door actuator, but that's just a guess on my part.
You're looking at about a $200 part, and about $150 for install.

AuSeeker 05-16-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjku79 (Post 3289540)
The last few days I have been having weird issues with my door locks. I am wondering if anyone has run into this and if so how to fix it.

When using the key fob, I can click the unlock and get the beep and hear unlocks. If I follow right how with a lock, I get no beep and all doors lock except the driver door. This happened to me a few days ago except it was the other way (locked find and only the driver door wouldn't unlock) and when I got home it didn't have the problem. So far, it has done if several times throughout the day, so I am not sure it is going to fix itself.

I also just went out to check to see if the power locks from the door worked and they do the same as the fob. Initially I was thinking the driver door switch, but I am not sure how that would relate to the fob not beeping.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonrodney (Post 3289549)
Sounds like the actuator is going. I've had to replace 7 actuators so far. I think I can tie them all back to a damn aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner installed. They start with failing intermittently, sometimes with the fob, sometimes with the switch, but eventually they'll give up the ghost entirely.
I could live with some of the other door locks not working for a while, but the driver's door was an immediate replacement. I bet that the locking beep is tied to the driver door actuator, but that's just a guess on my part.
You're looking at about a $200 part, and about $150 for install.

97BlackAckCL just posted in the for sale topic in this forum section that he has a brand new OEM driver's door lock actuator for sale for $50, link is below, the last post on the page #3105

4th Gen specific for sale thread

Bluesky 07 05-16-2019 08:35 PM

You might check both the fob and vehicle batteries. Wonky behavior that might seem unrelated sometimes resolves after charging or replacing them.

pjku79 05-17-2019 09:29 AM

I am leaning towards the actuator. This morning when I came out everything worked. Also, when I got to work everything worked. It is something intermittent.

Kevin G. 05-17-2019 11:49 PM

It's the tiny motor inside the actuator.

Get four of them off of eBay, for about 22 bucks total.

Kevin

_chassis_ 05-18-2019 09:48 AM

3 door lock actuators have been replaced on my 2005 V6 SR5. This was about 7 years ago, when the vehicle had around 100,000 miles. Haven't had a problem since then. The point is that door lock actuators are a somewhat common replacement item for these vehicles.