Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   King Lift SwayBar contacting the radiator brace (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/272972-king-lift-swaybar-contacting-radiator-brace.html)

DaddySteve 05-17-2019 11:05 PM

King Lift SwayBar contacting the radiator brace

1st post. I've been following this forum for the past year. Alot of great information. Just finished installing a King lift purchased from Flithy Motorsports. My orginal plan was to go 2.5" front and 2" rear lift. Install went smooth however ran into a problem. At 2.5" of lift the drivers side sway bar was making contact with the radiator support bracket. Even with the supplied spacers installed. So I reduced the lift to just under 2" and left my stock REAR springs and 1" spacers installed. Now there is maybe 1/16 of clearance between the radiator brace and the drivers swaybar. Flithy spoke to King and they advised to add a thick washer to the radiator support spacers. Anyone else heard of this problem? The Lift rides great btw. Fantastic improvement over stock.

2018 4runner TRD Offroad Prem Non KDSS

Thanks

[IMG]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c...502_180325.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c...502_175915.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c...430_162206.jpg[/IMG]

Bayou_Pro 05-17-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddySteve (Post 3290240)
At 2.5" of preload the drivers side sway bar was making contact with the radiator support bracket. Even with the supplies spacers installed. So I reduced the preload to just under 2" and left my stock spring and 1" spacer installed. Now there is maybe 1/16 of clearance.

Confused about a few things here. Are you talking about 2.5" of preload from 0", or are you talking about 2.5" of lift? Two totally different things.

How are you running stock springs with King COs? Why are you running a 1" spacers with COs at all? I'm very familiar and have spoken to Filthy several times and this doesn't sound like anything that he would recommend.

DaddySteve 05-18-2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou_Pro (Post 3290250)
Confused about a few things here. Are you talking about 2.5" of preload from 0", or are you talking about 2.5" of lift? Two totally different things.

How are you running stock springs with King COs? Why are you running a 1" spacers with COs at all? I'm very familiar and have spoken to Filthy several times and this doesn't sound like anything that he would recommend.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes you are correct Bayou. I updated the post and with pics. 2.5" Lift not Preload and Stock springs/spacer are in the Rear. Thanks

Bayou_Pro 05-18-2019 03:30 AM

Looking at the pics, it's odd that you look to have a lot of clearance on one side but not the other. Are you sure the SB spacer brackets are on the correct way? Are you sure the bar in centered on the truck? Haven't really heard of the issue with Kings myself.

DaddySteve 05-18-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou_Pro (Post 3290297)
Looking at the pics, it's odd that you look to have a lot of clearance on one side but not the other. Are you sure the SB spacer brackets are on the correct way? Are you sure the bar in centered on the truck? Haven't really heard of the issue with Kings myself.

Yes, everything installed correctly. It appears the sway bar is not symmetrical. The bend on the drivers side is different than passenger. Filthy says he had another 2018 Off-road Premium with the same issue recently. But these are the only 2 he has heard off. Toyota list 2 different part numbers for sway bars for this model. Sport suspension and non Sport. Not sure what the difference is.

jrandom 05-18-2019 10:48 AM

Look into KDSS radiator braces. They are different.

atchcraft 05-18-2019 11:14 AM

Contact at that location is pretty normal, with that setup. You can notch that brace, buy an aftermarket brace (there’s one out there somewhere, don’t remember who makes it) or just remove them all together. I don’t believe that a KDSS equipped truck has those. I have an aftermarket front skid and I think that that is going to be plenty of support. Plus, it’s going to give me quite a bit more ground clearance.

nb rob 05-18-2019 12:31 PM

kdss trucks have those brackets, but the swaybar is nowhere near them. The swaybar attaches to the fixed link and the piston, rather than the frame.

The OME BP-51 kits tended to contact there, so along came the BP-51 fit kit:

Arb sway bar rub fix!!! Bp-51 fit kit

atchcraft 05-18-2019 12:41 PM

Yup, that’s the one. I have zero experience with KDSS, so I’ll keep my mouth shut.

Besides keeping the radiator out of the fan, on a mild impact, I wonder how useful these actually are?

jrandom 05-18-2019 12:46 PM

Don't sweat it @atchcraft . KDSS trucks absolutely have them, I have worked on my front end dozens of times. I can confidently say they are there and they are different. :)
The bend is further forward to the radiator than a non-kdss sway equipped truck. It is exactly why my aftermarket front skid (RCI v1) is totally different than the non-kdss version. As for support I think it would help with the whole front valence as that is all stamped sheet metal.

Correct, they are no where near them in a flat non-articulated stance but do come closer when one or the other front side is “tucked”.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nb rob (Post 3290402)
The OME BP-51 kits tended to contact there, so along came the BP-51 fit kit:
Arb sway bar rub fix!!! Bp-51 fit kit

Holy sh!t the welds on those look drunk as fk! I would have sent that kit back.

borfoo3 05-19-2019 05:04 AM

The brace acts as KDSS piston limit strap.. preventing all that gained droop from pulling it apart

Wigglepuppy 05-27-2020 04:21 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old thread. . . what did you end up doing???

I have the exact same problem with some Fox 2.5 coilovers. . . 2014 TEP, no kdss. . . sway bar relocation bracket pushes sway bar so far forward that it hits radiator brace on driver side (correct. . . sway bar is not symmetrical).

Seems like spacers, washers, spacers and more spacers are the only answers I'm getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddySteve (Post 3290347)
Yes, everything installed correctly. It appears the sway bar is not symmetrical. The bend on the drivers side is different than passenger. Filthy says he had another 2018 Off-road Premium with the same issue recently. But these are the only 2 he has heard off. Toyota list 2 different part numbers for sway bars for this model. Sport suspension and non Sport. Not sure what the difference is.

Seattle206 05-27-2020 06:56 PM

You want the OME BP-51 suspension support bracket. It replaces the driver side support bracket giving you extra clearance between the sway bar and support bracket. With this bracket you don't need to those support bracket spacers which in turn gives you back some clearance between the ground and front skid plate.

Wigglepuppy 07-06-2020 07:15 PM

Spot on!!! Got that brace and it fit perfectly!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle206 (Post 3496104)
You want the OME BP-51 suspension support bracket. It replaces the driver side support bracket giving you extra clearance between the sway bar and support bracket. With this bracket you don't need to those support bracket spacers which in turn gives you back some clearance between the ground and front skid plate.

keller 07-06-2020 09:04 PM

If anyone needs one (BP51 bracket) i got one in a bucket doing nothing. let me know.11