Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2007 Time for oil change, input requested. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/273126-2007-time-oil-change-input-requested.html)

LinuxHack3r 05-22-2019 12:07 PM

2007 Time for oil change, input requested.

I've had my 2007 V6 long enough to need to change the oil. I was considering just having the dealership do it, but they quoted $50-$75 depending on conventional or synthetic oil.

Guess I'm doing it myself.

My understanding is that these are the correct and best filters to use.

I understand 5W-30 is the correct weight. Any comments regarding quantity?

Also, when speaking to the adviser, he sort of hinted that synthetic "was not used" in that vehicle, suggesting that conventional is "the correct oil to use".

Thoughts on this? I was planning on using Mobile 1. 5 Quarts of it and a filter would be about $25.00.

djpope09 05-22-2019 12:43 PM

Yes use the 90915-YZZD3 filters. That's a good price. I don't think you could get them cheaper anywhere else.

5W-30 and it usually takes 4.5 quarts. I drain and then put in 3.5-4 quarts and check the level before adding more.

Was synthetic not as common in 04-09? That might be why he said to use conventional. I use the cheapest full synthetic I can find at Walmart and I haven't had any issues.

I think the maintenance light runs in 5000 mile increments and I wouldn't use conventional for more than 3000. If someone knows different or more please correct me so I can stop ruining my engine haha.

Fried Rice 05-22-2019 01:04 PM

I’ve been using Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic in my 08 4.0L and have had no issues with it. I tend to change mine at about the 7000 miles and It’s usually around $30 for the 5 quart bucket and a filter at Walmart.

lightfreak 05-22-2019 01:41 PM

The filter on the V6 is mounted upside down so timing chain rattle can occur if using subpar filters. It’ll rattle on startup for a second since the crap filters don’t retain enough oil when the engine is off.
Toyota OEM and Denso filters are the only ones I’ve used with success. Everything else rattles. Wix , Amsoil, Mann/Mahle, Bosch, Hastings ... just to name a few. I’m sure they’re great filters in normal applications but they’re not ideal for our V6.

Use synthetic oil so you don’t have to change so often. I go anywhere from 7-10K miles on various brands. Just for kicks I sent in an oil sample last year to Blackstone Labs and everything came back normal .

First rule of proper maintenance is to not listen to dealership service advisors LoL

LinuxHack3r 05-22-2019 01:55 PM

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

This seems to be a good price and the appropriate purchase, unless someone can convince me that the "High Mileage" variant is worth it?

Seymore Butts 05-22-2019 02:21 PM

The correct amount of oil is 5.5 quarts (US).

blackjackck 05-22-2019 02:34 PM

someone posted this a while back about if you're wonder about which full Syn oil you want to throw money at. Just more information for you to think about.

Oil Comparison YouTube

djpope09 05-22-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymore Butts (Post 3292604)
The correct amount of oil is 5.5 quarts (US).

Is that for all 1GR-FE engines? I don't think I've ever put in more than 4.5 quarts. I know I'm not getting it all out when draining, but I also don't think I'm leaving a full quart in the pan.

I always just buy a 5 quart jug and never need more.

ZebRuaj 05-22-2019 02:39 PM

Can't go wrong with OEM filters. I usually buy in bulk.

Pick 5.5 qts of a 5w30 flavor of your choice. You can spend hours on BITOG if you want to geek out about oils. My rig has seen the boutique stuff down to Supertech HM (current fill for the last couple oil changes). The V6's aren't hard or picky on oil as long as you stick to a regiment. If it is, then you have bigger problems.

While you're changing the filter and oil, its also a great time to inspect and poke at all the other stuff under the hood and truck. My 2007 has had quite a few stuff replaced due to normal wear and tear.

Our rigs age well. Just have to stay on top of it.

djpope09 05-22-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackjackck (Post 3292613)
someone posted this a while back about if you're wonder about which full Syn oil you want to throw money at. Just more information for you to think about.

Oil Comparison YouTube

I think Jalopnik covered that video too. Between that and BobIsTheOilGuy my takeaway is that any full synthetic is fine. The Amazon oil comes from the same factory as Walmart's SuperTech oil if I'm not mistaken.

If I were to buy a brand new 4Runner I would probably go with Mobil1. If it costs $10 more than the cheapest brand, then over 300,000 miles you're paying less than $500 more for it. That's worth it to me for their guarantee.

But I bought mine with 150,000 miles on it already so who knows what was run in it before or for how long. I want to keep maintenance as cheap as possible. Everybody has their own opinion though.

MT Runner 05-22-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpope09 (Post 3292614)
Is that for all 1GR-FE engines? I don't think I've ever put in more than 4.5 quarts. I know I'm not getting it all out when draining, but I also don't think I'm leaving a full quart in the pan.

That seems odd, 5.5 is the correct amount. I’ve changed my own oil for the last 6 years on mine and I’ve always had two 5qt jugs on hand, one gets emptied fully without thinking twice and then I top it off for the last .5qt or so from the other jug.

Seymore Butts 05-22-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpope09 (Post 3292614)

Yes. The owner's manual says 5.5 US quarts.

djpope09 05-22-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT Runner (Post 3292621)
That seems odd, 5.5 is the correct amount. I’ve changed my own oil for the last 6 years on mine and I’ve always had two 5qt jugs on hand, one gets emptied fully without thinking twice and then I top it off for the last .5qt or so from the other jug.

Well that's interesting. I've been doing it this way for 4 years on mine and never needed that much. If I added another quart it would put me over the full line on the dipstick.

drallan 05-22-2019 03:09 PM

My walmart just started selling the Toyota OEM oil filters for like $7 a piece. I grabbed a half dozen or so (have a 3rd & 4th gen). I used to do the Mobile 1, then switched to Pennzoil Ultimate, but now I just do the Super Tech fully synthetic oil. I don't have the link on hand, but basically after doing a bunch of research and reading it appears that the Super Tech is manufactured by a reputable major oil company that provides oil to name brand suppliers just without the price tag. Any oil reviews I have seen have shown negligible difference. Of course you will run into those who swear by specific brands, and they have their reasons. But my 99 has 225k and my 04 has 260 and they run just fine and oil looks good every change. Got tired of spending an extra $20 every change x2.

Seymore Butts 05-22-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpope09 (Post 3292635)
Well that's interesting. I've been doing it this way for 4 years on mine and never needed that much. If I added another quart it would put me over the full line on the dipstick.

Compare your dipstick to a known original. A previous owner or an oil tech may have switched it with one from another vehicle.

I assume you do your oil changes on level ground.