Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   So Cal (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/so-cal/)
-   -   Finally popped my cherry and drove to Mexico last weekend. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/so-cal/273180-finally-popped-my-cherry-drove-mexico-last-weekend.html)

BLK7BRD 05-23-2019 02:23 PM

Finally popped my cherry and drove to Mexico last weekend.

I’ve been to Mexico, but have never driven down. Silly considering I’m only an hour from the border. Basically just went to check it out and get a feel for it for future trips. Went through wine country to Ensenada, then back up coastal to Rosarito and the standard 3 hour border wait. Fun trip overall, but I would love to find out where do go for some off-road trails. Anyone have lots of experience in Baja? Any groups that go down together?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9597c4be6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho1115 05-24-2019 01:21 AM

Did you go alone, as in just you and your T4R, or did you travel in a caravan?

I've been wanting to do that exact drive, but soooo freaked out about the crooked cops and/or cartels helping themselves to my T4R... without my consent !!!

jhmoore 05-24-2019 09:28 PM

Mexico—the only place I’ve ever been robbed by armed men...

Otherwise known as the police.

BLK7BRD 05-25-2019 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancho1115 (Post 3293601)
Did you go alone, as in just you and your T4R, or did you travel in a caravan?

I've been wanting to do that exact drive, but soooo freaked out about the crooked cops and/or cartels helping themselves to my T4R... without my consent !!!

I went with my 21 year old brother. It was actually very relaxed driving down there. Would be nice to have a copilot getting through TJ the first time as some of the turns were poorly marked, but still pretty easy regardless. I bought the insurance for the weekend just to help me have zero problems if I did get pulled over, idk if it’s really necessary.

grave 05-25-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhmoore (Post 3294108)
mexico—the only place i’ve ever been robbed by armed men...

Otherwise known as the police.

#acab

FrenchToasty 05-25-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaVII (Post 3294192)
I went with my 21 year old brother. It was actually very relaxed driving down there. Would be nice to have a copilot getting through TJ the first time as some of the turns were poorly marked, but still pretty easy regardless. I bought the insurance for the weekend just to help me have zero problems if I did get pulled over, idk if it’s really necessary.

It’s absolutely necessary, your US insurance doesn’t mean squat down there. If It gets stolen or turns into a banna boat, your SOL.

jhmoore 05-26-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchToasty (Post 3294535)
It’s absolutely necessary, your US insurance doesn’t mean squat down there. If It gets stolen or turns into a banna boat, your SOL.

Not only is it necessary in terms of protecting your investment in your car (or, lord help you, your leinholder), but I'm pretty sure that if you end up in an accident and don't have Mexican insurance, you're going to end up in a Mexican jail. Just don't go without it--period.

Iceman710 05-31-2019 03:43 PM

I did the same trip on the 25th-26th down to Valle de Guadalupe. It’s safe guys...even getting lost in TJ for a bit. FYI do not use google maps, the iPhone maps worked perfectly. The roads are run by the feds and are safe and it’s practically a straight shot. No cartels or Crooked cops,. Definitely get insurance, you aren’t covered otherwise. It’s 30-50 bucks and peace of mind. It was a 3 hour wait from the border to get back mind you, I’ve heard it can get up to 6 hours on a bad day. Get SENTRI if you can.

BLK7BRD 06-01-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman710 (Post 3297918)
I did the same trip on the 25th-26th down to Valle de Guadalupe. It’s safe guys...even getting lost in TJ for a bit. FYI do not use google maps, the iPhone maps worked perfectly. The roads are run by the feds and are safe and it’s practically a straight shot. No cartels or Crooked cops,. Definitely get insurance, you aren’t covered otherwise. It’s 30-50 bucks and peace of mind. It was a 3 hour wait from the border to get back mind you, I’ve heard it can get up to 6 hours on a bad day. Get SENTRI if you can.

100% agree. Got back and began signing up for SENTRI immediately

violation 06-27-2019 04:53 PM

i did a 1.5 week trip down baja and back earlier this year. much off-roading. highly recommend!

baja xl trip

sandiegosteve 07-09-2019 05:01 PM

Things can go wrong, but generally speaking the only real bummer is the border crossing coming back in. SENTRI pass makes a big difference. Sure, there are people who do stupid things (from all countries). Driving around wine country can be nice.

PBR1 08-29-2019 11:36 AM

Go on a race weekend. This years Baja 1000 is 11/19-24, the race starts on the 22nd. Lots of Americans flood the towns of Baja and those are the safest weekends to travel down there.

For first timers go to contingency, that is where all the race vehicles line up to get through tech. You walk through a crowd of people staring at 2 million dollar Trophy Trucks, it's really an amazing site. Then on race day I recommend driving about an hour south of Ensenada to a small beach town Erendira. Really fun dirt roads take you from the highway to the beach. You can camp right on the beach and watch race cars while you're surfing! Before or after the race you can drive on the actual race course, bring your 4wd and tow strap for the silt beds.

Just remember in Baja everything that's illegal in the US is also illegal there, so don't be stupid. Use common sense and you will be fine. Bring an extra $200 as a get out of jail free card if something does happen.

AND MEXICAN INSURANCE IS NECESSARY!!!

Kamalani Mahie 09-01-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBR1 (Post 3347008)
Go on a race weekend. This years Baja 1000 is 11/19-24, the race starts on the 22nd. Lots of Americans flood the towns of Baja and those are the safest weekends to travel down there.

For first timers go to contingency, that is where all the race vehicles line up to get through tech. You walk through a crowd of people staring at 2 million dollar Trophy Trucks, it's really an amazing site. Then on race day I recommend driving about an hour south of Ensenada to a small beach town Erendira. Really fun dirt roads take you from the highway to the beach. You can camp right on the beach and watch race cars while you're surfing! Before or after the race you can drive on the actual race course, bring your 4wd and tow strap for the silt beds.

Just remember in Baja everything that's illegal in the US is also illegal there, so don't be stupid. Use common sense and you will be fine. Bring an extra $200 as a get out of jail free card if something does happen.

AND MEXICAN INSURANCE IS NECESSARY!!!

Anyone going down for the Baja 1000 this year???

PBR1 09-01-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamalani Mahie (Post 3348355)
Anyone going down for the Baja 1000 this year???

Trying to figure out my work schedule but I should be down there at some point.

Kamalani Mahie 09-01-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBR1 (Post 3348372)
Trying to figure out my work schedule but I should be down there at some point.

I've never been but always wanted to. I know that a group of people have taken a trip down there before for it. That would be cool if it happened again.