Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/)
-   -   Ring Home Security (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-topic/273197-ring-home-security.html)

Dillusion 05-23-2019 07:18 PM

Ring Home Security

Anyone use it?

Probably looking at the 14 piece kit.

Home Alarm System 14-Piece | Smart Home Security System

| Ring

Bout to finally move into our second house.

First house I had ADT. I got the crappy basic system back then when I was young and broke. Only manual disarm no phone app, etc. Canceled their ass because they kept jacking up the monthly for this basic system.

Switched to Spectrum Intelligent home. Nothing wrong with it. 10x better but still $50 a month. Canceled this when we sold.

Now we had a ring doorbell and the wife loved it so she wants the whole thing.

Bumbo 05-23-2019 07:50 PM

Can't comment on the Ring stuff... I don't use it, but make sure the system scales well.

I have friends who are professional installers and one thing they recommend to me which I have really enjoyed are using multiple non-contact sensors per window.

Sometimes we leave the windows open just a crack (or forget to close), but the 2nd set of non-contact sensors line up with the window when partially open... this allows you to alarm with a window open as well.

I generally have a "stick" so you can only open it so much, but the added piece of mind is nice if someone was to force it open.

Soneill 05-23-2019 08:28 PM

I have a doorbell cam and flood light cam and love both.

Dillusion 05-23-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbo (Post 3293465)
Can't comment on the Ring stuff... I don't use it, but make sure the system scales well.

I have friends who are professional installers and one thing they recommend to me which I have really enjoyed are using multiple non-contact sensors per window.

Sometimes we leave the windows open just a crack (or forget to close), but the 2nd set of non-contact sensors line up with the window when partially open... this allows you to alarm with a window open as well.

I generally have a "stick" so you can only open it so much, but the added piece of mind is nice if someone was to force it open.

I don't know if its a bad habit or not or just a Hawaii thing.

But we don't arm our house when we are home. Only when we are gone and everything is shut.

Thai 05-24-2019 06:30 AM

Not sure if still true, but RING has been accused of privacy invasion: Reports raise video privacy concerns for Amazon-owned Ring – TechCrunch

But i still use RING doorbell! :D

I have Simplisafe alarm. It's OK, not great.

Down the road, i would like to unify my doorbell, alarm, and outdoor cameras into one company so that i can use only ONE app to control all.

Dillusion 05-24-2019 12:25 PM

Consolidating everything is one reason why I want to. Might as well since I'm starting fresh.

wcjeep 05-25-2019 01:28 AM

Neighbor has the Ring system. Says it works great. My problem with the Ring doorbell is limited IR power for night vision. I have one that needed more IR light. Added a small IR auxiliary light on motion detector.

IR light $20

https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illu...ateway&sr=8-13

Motion sensor $9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IR light on motion example. Eventually I turn on the porch light. The initial burst of light is all invisible light. These were door to door religious people. Nothing bad, example only.

YouTube

wcjeep 05-25-2019 01:30 AM

I did buy a large IR light. It uses lots of power and creates lots of heat. Very limited use. The small light on motion sensor is about perfect.

Dillusion 05-28-2019 01:16 PM

I had the doorbell only at my previous house and it did the job good enough for me.

Maybe because they had to walk straight at it in order to get to my door.

JP421 05-28-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillusion (Post 3293805)
Consolidating everything is one reason why I want to. Might as well since I'm starting fresh.

It is best not to combine everything. If its compromised or down its everything.

I have SimpliSafe and for the price it is decent. You can integrate it with Samsung's Smartthings (which I have and is the best hub for smart devices) if you pay the higher sub fee. I do not integrate it yet. I may one day.

Soneill 05-28-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcjeep (Post 3294181)
Neighbor has the Ring system. Says it works great. My problem with the Ring doorbell is limited IR power for night vision. I have one that needed more IR light. Added a small IR auxiliary light on motion detector.

IR light $20

https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illu...ateway&sr=8-13

Motion sensor $9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IR light on motion example. Eventually I turn on the porch light. The initial burst of light is all invisible light. These were door to door religious people. Nothing bad, example only.

YouTube

I feel the same way about the IR light at night as well. Do you have a video from the door bell cam it self. My other grip is that it takes the cam a second to adjust to the IR light it has and you can miss things.

Oldmanb777 03-23-2020 10:08 AM

We have 2 ring doorbells on different houses. I have also installed the door bells on a rental house for the tenants. We don't have any of their other security items. I'm not impressed. the good. They work. They show a picture in front of them. The bad. They are very slow to get through the wifi. We have strong wifi systems. But when the doorbell rings, I can easily and without effort get to the door and open it before you can open the app and wait for it to log in and open. Sometimes the person ringing is leaving by the time we are online with it. It gets activated by rain or snow at times.
Some of this may be worked out by some settings, but I have not been successful trying to work through that.

Dillusion 03-23-2020 02:12 PM

Not sure why yours is slow on wifi.

Mine records was in advance and not much lag between live and my phone. I ended up getting the 14 piece kit and recently added (2) cameras.

I do not have the doorbell so maybe the delay is with the doorbell and not the system.